Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda has been quite secretive about there new airplane stating that it is only a test article for there engine.

The fact that they designed an completely new airfoil and other unique features would lead me to believe there were bigger goals in mind. That combined with there anounced joint venture with GE to produce the engine would indicate something coming soon.

The wait mabe over as they have taken there first deposit for the airplane.

See attached story.

Well my attachment does not seem to be sticky enough, I can not get it to attach. Per AVWEB's news wire this morning:

The long and short of it is that Honda's president Takeo Fukui has admitted that they have accepted a deposit for one of their airplanes at the Oshkosh Airshow. The price is a bit vague from under a million to 2.7M. Projected first delivery 2 to 3 years.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Think I will leave the order part to the Rich & Famous, but here is a link
http://hondanews.com/CatID1000?mid=2005072837854&mime=asc
STEVE FROST said:
Honda has been quite secretive about there new airplane stating that it is only a test article for there engine.

The fact that they designed an completely new airfoil and other unique features would lead me to believe there were bigger goals in mind. That combined with there anounced joint venture with GE to produce the engine would indicate something coming soon.

The wait mabe over as they have taken there first deposit for the airplane.

See attached story.

Well my attachment does not seem to be sticky enough, I can not get it to attach. Per AVWEB's news wire this morning:

The long and short of it is that Honda's president Takeo Fukui has admitted that they have accepted a deposit for one of their airplanes at the Oshkosh Airshow. The price is a bit vague from under a million to 2.7M. Projected first delivery 2 to 3 years.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ridge Man

Thanks for the link. That was the blurb from Oshkosh, Honda did not admit to taking any deposits there until last weeks AirVenture show in Florida.

At Oshkosh they were still reporting that the aircraft was just a showcase for their engine, it is an exiciting engine

The Very Light Jet (V.L.J.) is one of the most talked about emerging aviation markets. There are a handfull of competitors out there, Vern Raburn of Eclipse, Cessna Aircraft with there Mustang are the current front runners, with several others at their heels. They are projecting deliverys later this year or early next year. Vern has been the leading contender in this race with many inovative ideas, friction stir welding for one, he is finacialy backed in part by in part by Paul Allen of Microsoft. He has the first two years of production presold. Lots of people are cheering him on including myself as Vern was one of the early backers of the company I started. Honda could put a large wrinkle in every ones plans as there aircraft looks to be quite a bit faster going farther on less fuel than the Eclipse or Mustang. Imagine Honda making a product like that.

The reason there is so much interest in this market is due in part to plans to have these light jets compete with the airlines. At a cost of around a million the six seat jet could compete with the airlines on a per seat basis. It would also enable access to hundreds of airports not served by comercial aircraft. This could be an advantage to business travelers that do not care to stand around in long lines at airport terminals being groped by the TSA ( thousands standing around).

Steve

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes due to my feeble computor skills I will not try an attachment, but if your interested in seeing Honda's airplane fly you can on their site: world honda.com.

Look for a press release Dec. 16, 2003, it has all the specs on the airplane plus a 3 minute vidio of the first flight.

The most recent flight they obtained a speed of around 380 knots with an anticipated top speed of around 420kts they could smoke the compitition. Also the pilot reported that it Flys (drives) like nothing else. I think I heard that some where before?

Honda is also spooling up to develope a aircraft piston engine. They had been working with Teledyne Continental Motors on this as a joint venture research as the did with Pratt & Whitney on there Jet. They have now anouced they will be developing it on there own. Toyota too has a piston engine in the works that has flown on a couple of aircraft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts