Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow RL Forum Members,

I need some help.

I have finally received, after a year wait, the replacement arm rest for my 2017 RL.

One problem, i cant get the OEM arm rest off.

I have counted stitches till i cant count no more. When the aftermarket arm rest ships, Jim includes a piece of paper that you tape and it gives you the angle.....NO AVAIL. I have sat in my truck, pulled the armrest to to the top position and tugged on it as i moved the armrest down a millimeter at a time. No Dice! NADA! I have read posts on this and the pilot forum which offer little help.

I have literally pulled on this armrest so hard that it shook the ridgeline and i woke up with a sore arm this morning.

I am at a loss.

Does anyone have any mojo they can share with me on this?

My next step is to go to the dealership where i am sure there will be some tech who's never done this before and will cost me hundreds of dollars in charges.

This should not be this hard.

Anyone have any advice?

Denicio

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems other have had the same problem. This guy put it on the 12th stitch. Hope this works for you and please send us some pics WHEN you get it off.

Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums - View Single Post - Very Uncomfortable Armrest
Thanks for the reply.

I suppose my original point was i tried every position around the 12 stitch and still no luck. I think this is the Ridgelines proverbial G-Spot!

I spent over an hour lining up this armrest with no luck. I guess i will spend another day or two with more of the same in hopes of finding my RTL-T's' g-spot.

I was simply hoping someone had a better way or a magical solution.

Denicio

(Oddly, the instant notifications to the RL forums no longer come to my email...hmmmm)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an appointment with my honda service department to have this removed.

heck, when i sit at a red light i jack with this arm rest and try and remove it. NO DICE!

Should not be this hard.

·
Super Moderator
6,752 Posts
I was going to suggest an "Upholstery Shop" but the dealership should be able to figure it out

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine had a plastic cap over the pivot point, I popped off that cap, and pulled the arm rest free. Maybe my low tech arm rests are different from the multi angle super arm rests of the upper tiers.

·
Super Moderator
4,717 Posts
Mine had a plastic cap over the pivot point, I popped off that cap, and pulled the arm rest free. Maybe my low tech arm rests are different from the multi angle super arm rests of the upper tiers.
I was intrigued by this comment, so I went out to check my RTL-T. The passenger side has a plastic cap, but the driver side does not on my RL.

After the all the frustration Denicio is having with removing these armrests, I wanted to say I just went out and popped it right off. I tried for several minutes with no luck - so I cannot brag about my exploits since there were none.

·
Registered
991 Posts
After seeing all this I had to go check this out. I counted down the 12 stitches noted just so I could see the approximate position of the armrest. I dug my fingers in around the center axle and slowly moved the armrest an inch or so up and down from that position and it popped right out. No excessive effort. Just prying with my fingers, not pulling with my arms.

Guess I shouldn't be impressed with unpainted metal being used.

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys, the pictures are helpful and successes are inspirational. I cant help but wonder if there is something jacked with my arm rest? OR if i have just not found the sweet spot.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was intrigued by this comment, so I went out to check my RTL-T. The passenger side has a plastic cap, but the driver side does not on my RL.

After the all the frustration Denicio is having with removing these armrests, I wanted to say I just went out and popped it right off. I tried for several minutes with no luck - so I cannot brag about my exploits since there were none.
Yo Sparkland,
Any chance of me conning you into doing a short video of your successful removal....if you have the time and resources?

I would be forever grateful.

D

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After seeing all this I had to go check this out. I counted down the 12 stitches noted just so I could see the approximate position of the armrest. I dug my fingers in around the center axle and slowly moved the armrest an inch or so up and down from that position and it popped right out. No excessive effort. Just prying with my fingers, not pulling with my arms.

Guess I shouldn't be impressed with unpainted metal being used.

Hey SK17,
Hearing you pried with fingers alone and no excessive pulling gives me pause. I literally had my truck rocking and i woke up the next day with my left arm sore.
I will adjust my technique accordingly and try again.

I tried the counting stitches method...even have a sharpie mark on my seat. Hearing "Inch or so" raises an eyebrow. When jim said to find the spot and adjust one or two degrees to find it...i was thinking of millimeters not inches.

Before i go to the dealer i will try some more.

D

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried to do it with one hand but couldn't get my arm in quite the right position. Not sure if this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPYnSKVwcmE
Thanks for doing this for me.

This morning i tried to channel my inner Dude and take my time and gently pull. NO DICE!

Now my male ego is on the line. I may resort to pulling out my sawzall!! HA!

My plans to take it to the dealer this weekend are shot as its nice out and i have work to do on the land.....so i will continue to pull and pull on this.

Thanks again for the video. The arm rest you pulled out...that was a ratcheting one, right?

·
Registered
441 Posts
SUCCESS!!!!

I continued to do this by hand. Just no luck. So...out of frustration i grabbed a crow bar...yes, a crow bar. I took a long breath, gently put it between the seat and armrest near the pivot point, applied some pressure, moved the arm rest to the top position then after i got the lock click i slowly 'swept' the are where the sweet spot is located. BAM! Found it.

After i removed it, i put it back to try this method again. BAM! Success!

This just saved me a bit of money but also 2 hours at the dealership.

Attached are pictures. For those seeking symmetry in life...you will hate my choices. I opted to do just the driver side arm rest as 99.95% of the travel time in this truck...its just me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Well done.

Also, it looks like your console really likes the new armrest!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts