Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am jealous...I have tried to pull with fingers gently and roughly. I have tried the prybar, I have tried looping nylon rope behind the armrest at the pivot point and bumping the opposite end with heavy hammer all while slowly sweeping the arm up and down.
Nothing indicates it is lining up and coming off. I have been doing this for at least an hour a day for 2 weeks now.

I am at a total loss.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well hell...I actually did some thinking on the matter and looked up a well known auto trim shop in the area...I dropped in and chatted them up. They had heard of the difficulty and the boss and his best tech strolled out to my truck. In less than 10 minutes the arm rests were in the floorboard. I was grinning like a Cheshire cat.
They would not take any payment...I will however drop off a couple of dozen Bojangles sausage and biscuits for their breakfast on Monday...
I got home and struggled with the new ones and got them on after a little persuasion...and I could not be happier. These things are firm and hold my log sized arms just fine.

Thanks to J.J. Products and Marietta Auto Trim!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sorry for pulling up this old thread.

I'm waiting for my 6" ratcheting armrest which should arrive shortly and thought I'd better try to remove the OEM armrest before it gets here.

I sat in the passenger seat and dropped the armrest to about 30*, grabbed the armrest close to the seat and it popped right off.

I took a couple of pictures of the keyed socket if anyone is interested... might help some.

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've installed the 6" armrest on mydriver's seat.

I had to raise my seat as the armrest would hit the centre console when flipped up.

I figured this out after I went to use it the second time... I marred up the ratcheting splin a little bit because it wasn't properly in place.

Anyway I love the new armrest size but I'll have to get used to the higher seating position.

edit: added picture

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I've been fairly patient, but I'm nearing my limit. It was easier to install my Diamondback SE cover today, then swap this armrest. I can say that, because the armrest still isn't off yet. WTH... If anyone has devised some miracle on these, I'd love to hear about it

·
Registered
991 Posts
It's been a couple of years since I pulled mine, only to confirm the procedure. I put the armrest at the approximate angle, dug my fingers between the armrest and the seat around the axle, and pried just using my fingers while moving the armrest up and down a few degrees. It popped off quite easily so I tried the other side; same thing. I used just the strength of my fingers with a straight prying motion at the axle. I didn't have to put any body weight or anything into it.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Thanks. I've read so many. I cold be wrong, but it seems Canadian (3 setting, instead of ratcheting, seem to be easy).

I'm telling you, I've tried your subtle method, I've also had a pry bar on this thing, inching down to find a sweet spot, and nothing. I have at least 2 hours into this. I have two tool boxes full of tools I used working on cars and short of whacking it with a pickle fork, I can't see how this thing is coming off. I was also tempted to remove the driver's seat back cushion cover, to see if I can access it from there.

I wouldn't trust the dealer or a body shop, unless on of the techs had actually done it before.

What I noticed on the replacement armrest is a flat spot on the spindle and can only guess that it's the flat spot that has to be aligned, then pull out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am part of the frustrated failure club! I tried the template, talked it through with Jim, tried a pry bar, a crow bar, and wrapped nylon strapping crossed over and pulled with everything I had. Scared I would destroy the seat. Taped the template to a carpenter’s square t make sure I was exactly on the template line. I think I have a souvenir armrest that won’t ever be used. Had my friend who is a Honda service tech try. He had zero luck as well. I am clearly not finding the right spot. Glad some of you could get it. At least I know it is possible. 🥵

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I’m thinking of removing the leather of the seat back, to perhaps expose this “catch”. First, I’ll continue with suggested methods and tomorrow try a local body shop. But finding a tech who has actually done a 2019 armrest might be difficult.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I am part of the frustrated failure club! I tried the template, talked it through with Jim, tried a pry bar, a crow bar, and wrapped nylon strapping crossed over and pulled with everything I had. Scared I would destroy the seat. Taped the template to a carpenter’s square t make sure I was exactly on the template line. I think I have a souvenir armrest that won’t ever be used. Had my friend who is a Honda service tech try. He had zero luck as well. I am clearly not finding the right spot. Glad some of you could get it. At least I know it is possible. 🥵
I once felt your frustration. I ended up saying 'f*ck it', took a stout shot of good scotch, grabbed a pry bar, narrowed down the "window' of possible removal and slowly moved the arm and pulled HARD on the bar, quarter inch at a time, tiny intervals. It will all start feeling the same THEN there will be a moment when it feels different. THATS when i took another shot of scotch, and went for broke. And like that.....sucker popped out.

Its not an easy removal. You have to put a lot of weight behind it.

I've been enjoying my extremely wide armrest for 1.5 years now. I DONT put a ton of weight on it like i did the smaller OEM. My gut tells me its not as robust as the OEM...just a hunch. At what these cost i am not willing to risk it.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I once felt your frustration. I ended up saying 'f*ck it', took a stout shot of good scotch, grabbed a pry bar, narrowed down the "window' of possible removal and slowly moved the arm and pulled HARD on the bar, quarter inch at a time, tiny intervals. It will all start feeling the same THEN there will be a moment when it feels different. THATS when i took another shot of scotch, and went for broke. And like that.....sucker popped out.

Its not an easy removal. You have to put a lot of weight behind it.

I've been enjoying my extremely wide armrest for 1.5 years now. I DONT put a ton of weight on it like i did the smaller OEM. My gut tells me its not as robust as the OEM...just a hunch. At what these cost i am not willing to risk it.
Thanks. I'm probably at the second scotch stage, as I have felt a slight difference. I'm using a pry bar, but leveraging it against a cargo rod I have. So I'm holding the cargo rod vertical, then leveraging the pry bar horizontally, and leaning on it. Sometimes I switch my approach, so that I'm pulling on it, a rowing motion if you will. I think pull is better, because as I put constant pressure, I'm feeling for a spot on the gear. The end of the bar is wrapped in duct tape, to prevent damage to the leather.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks. I'm probably at the second scotch stage, as I have felt a slight difference. I'm using a pry bar, but leveraging it against a cargo rod I have. So I'm holding the cargo rod vertical, then leveraging the pry bar horizontally, and leaning on it. Sometimes I switch my approach, so that I'm pulling on it, a rowing motion if you will. I think pull is better, because as I put constant pressure, I'm feeling for a spot on the gear. The end of the bar is wrapped in duct tape, to prevent damage to the leather.
I had the pry bar essentially ON the spindle of the arm to keep the pressure where it was needed.

I was in the back seat behind the drivers side. I slid the pry bar down touching the spindle and from there is where i moved, pulled, moved, pulled...till i found it!

D

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the pry bar essentially ON the spindle of the arm to keep the pressure where it was needed.

I was in the back seat behind the drivers side. I slid the pry bar down touching the spindle and from there is where i moved, pulled, moved, pulled...till i found it!

D
I have tried this approach- what are you prying against? The foam of the seat is a lousy fulcrum!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I have tried this approach- what are you prying against? The foam of the seat is a lousy fulcrum!
If memory serves, i used the seat.

You can add some strength by wedging something small in there.....like a wooden shim.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Like most of you, I've been trying to get my arm rests off for days. Took it to the dealership today and they had no success.
Had the idea to use a Ball Joint separator, some call it a bearing or ball joint pickle fork and it worked great!
Be sure and get one that has a wide enough opening to get around the arm rest shaft. Did the 37 degree thing moving back and forth while pushing the handle of the ball joint separator in the opposite direction from the center console to create leverage. It still took quite a bit of effort, but worked fine. No way that I could get it off with my hands.
Maybe Advance Auto, O'Reily's or some other parts store has one on a tool loan program. I put a rag between the seat and the fork to protect my seat from getting dirty.
The aftermarket arm rests are a great improvement. Only small complaint I have is that there is a little bit of flex from the opposite corner of the arm rest shaft. Wish they were rigid as a board with no flex. But would buy them again in a second.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Like most of you, I've been trying to get my arm rests off for days. Took it to the dealership today and they had no success.
Had the idea to use a Ball Joint separator, some call it a bearing or ball joint pickle fork and it worked great!
Be sure and get one that has a wide enough opening to get around the arm rest shaft. Did the 37 degree thing moving back and forth while pushing the handle of the ball joint separator in the opposite direction from the center console to create leverage. It still took quite a bit of effort, but worked fine. No way that I could get it off with my hands.
Maybe Advance Auto, O'Reily's or some other parts store has one on a tool loan program. I put a rag between the seat and the fork to protect my seat from getting dirty.
The aftermarket arm rests are a great improvement. Only small complaint I have is that there is a little bit of flex from the opposite corner of the arm rest shaft. Wish they were rigid as a board with no flex. But would buy them again in a second.
Good luck.

Thanks. I mentioned the pickle fork earlier and honestly had on in my hand at Pep Boys. Almost bought it. Now that my RL was just towed to the dealer, I might have them take a whack at it.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I had the pry bar horizontal, but had a cargo bar vertical. It would be easier with another person holding the vertical bar, but I had plenty of pressure to pop a reasonable bolt. I didn't want to apply any more pressure. remember, that bar is going places when the armrest breaks free!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the pry bar horizontal, but had a cargo bar vertical. It would be easier with another person holding the vertical bar, but I had plenty of pressure to pop a reasonable bolt. I didn't want to apply any more pressure. remember, that bar is going places when the armrest breaks free!
I probably need to ask one of my neighbors with a Ford or a Chevy to take it off for me. :smile:

21 - 40 of 52 Posts