Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
I can't understand all the fuss... I didn't measure anything... just lowered the armrest by eye, placed my hand as close to the spined mount (between seat and armrest) and gave a sharp yank. Came off first time.

I'm phyically wide so I wonder if my body exerted some force against the bolster and armrest just sitting in the seat which made popping the armrest off easier. Are you a skinny (narrow) guy?

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I can't understand all the fuss... I didn't measure anything... just lowered the armrest by eye, placed my hand as close to the spined mount (between seat and armrest) and gave a sharp yank. Came off first time.

I'm phyically wide so I wonder if my body exerted some force against the bolster and armrest just sitting in the seat which made popping the armrest off easier. Are you a skinny (narrow) guy?
- Your truck is Canadian and my limited exposure to this topic tells me it's not the same design of armrest as the US models, or at the very least most owners have a much easier time taking them out.

- I assume the BE has ratcheted Arm rests, but if it doesn't that would also be a reason the BE would be easier.

It does seem a but random, but there are a few of us who are about to give up. It's just not worth the potential damage to get this damn thing off. Dealers have broken them off, while others have had success. My last resort will be trying a pickle fork.

·
Registered
71 Posts

I am 6’4” and 260. No one ever accused me of being skinny, but I keep trying! ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Add me to the list. I have been trying the last several days to the point where my fingers hurt. I keep seeing count 12 stitches. From where?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've had my drive side ratcheting black armrest for about a month and a half.

While I love the width I don't particularly like the seat raised.

I'll be selling my armrest if anyone in the greater Toronto area is interested.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update- Took my Ridgeline in for some maintenance and asked if the mechanic could try and remove the armrest. Gave the whole back story on how owners were having trouble. Called me up this afternoon and let me know they were able to remove the arm rest. He had a good laugh and said it was the talk of the shop today. Took two big guys to pull on the arm rest to get the thing off. Didn't charge me anything extra but that could be because the truck was already in for some work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just an update. I have had my arm rest for 9 months now and I love them. Once you get the arm rest to the position you want you can lower the seat. I just adjusted to this.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
I'm physically wide...
Hmm, I like that politically correct response. I'll have to use your response in the future when I refer to my own physic. Perhaps "girth enhanced" too or girth gifted?

Forgive an old man, at least one hazard of old age is that an old person sometimes thinks these random thoughts have any interest at all to anybody on the planet except themselves.

·
Registered
407 Posts
@Farther our other car is a BMW X3 and the sport seats really are uncomfortable for me because of my girth. ;)

Anyway I removed my armrest and went back to stock if anyone north of Toronto is looking for a 6" wide black ratcheting armrest.

·
Registered
19 RTL-E
29 Posts
This post helped me R2 my drivers armrest today so I thought I'd chime in.

'19 RTL-E (US version).

Took me sitting in the rear floorboard and rocking in a few degrees +/- the "sweet spot" while putting all my weight behind it. Popped off with great effort, glad I had the door closed or I'd have ended up on my back in the driveway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All

I just installed mine and they look and work great! I have not read all of the comments but a few about the difficulty of getting the original ones off. I also was having a difficult time. I used the template paper to no avail. I then used the 13 stitches and guess what it worked. One thing some people might have missed. Make sure your seat is angled all the way forward before you count the stitches. I did not at first and it didn't work. But once I moved the seat back all the way up they popped right off. BTW they are very comfortable and well worth the investment.
IMG_20190920_164337.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
SUCCESS!!!!

I continued to do this by hand. Just no luck. So...out of frustration i grabbed a crow bar...yes, a crow bar. I took a long breath, gently put it between the seat and armrest near the pivot point, applied some pressure, moved the arm rest to the top position then after i got the lock click i slowly 'swept' the are where the sweet spot is located. BAM! Found it.

After i removed it, i put it back to try this method again. BAM! Success!

This just saved me a bit of money but also 2 hours at the dealership.

Attached are pictures. For those seeking symmetry in life...you will hate my choices. I opted to do just the driver side arm rest as 99.95% of the travel time in this truck...its just me.
Man this is as good as the internet gets right here! I just bought a new rtl and am hating the armrest situation to no end. I'm pretty mild mannered but the skinny little twerp of an armrest is making me rage. I cannot wait to strangle it and rip it out. I think I'll leave the passenger side just like you did.

·
Registered
30 Posts
All

I just installed mine and they look and work great! I have not read all of the comments but a few about the difficulty of getting the original ones off. I also was having a difficult time. I used the template paper to no avail. I then used the 13 stitches and guess what it worked. One thing some people might have missed. Make sure your seat is angled all the way forward before you count the stitches. I did not at first and it didn't work. But once I moved the seat back all the way up they popped right off. BTW they are very comfortable and well worth the investment. View attachment 396222
Oh man that's beautiful! Just what I need! Ordering right now! But what is this stitching count everybody is talking about?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
After seeing all this I had to go check this out. I counted down the 12 stitches noted just so I could see the approximate position of the armrest. I dug my fingers in around the center axle and slowly moved the armrest an inch or so up and down from that position and it popped right out. No excessive effort. Just prying with my fingers, not pulling with my arms.

Guess I shouldn't be impressed with unpainted metal being used.
Post 11 .. Bump for why the number of stitches...

·
Super Moderator
5,235 Posts
How do you remove the driver seat armrest on a 2019 ridgeline?
Check out this thread! You should be able to remove it fairly easily IF you find the correct position. Mine came off without very little pressure, but others have had far more difficulty. Be sure to count down 12 stitches from the slot in the leather.

12.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
SUCCESS!!!!

I continued to do this by hand. Just no luck. So...out of frustration i grabbed a crow bar...yes, a crow bar. I took a long breath, gently put it between the seat and armrest near the pivot point, applied some pressure, moved the arm rest to the top position then after i got the lock click i slowly 'swept' the are where the sweet spot is located. BAM! Found it.

After i removed it, i put it back to try this method again. BAM! Success!

This just saved me a bit of money but also 2 hours at the dealership.

Attached are pictures. For those seeking symmetry in life...you will hate my choices. I opted to do just the driver side arm rest as 99.95% of the travel time in this truck...its just me.
I too had trouble finding the sweet spot with my fingers but once I got myself line up correctly and fingers in the proper alignment I found it! I now I can find it again and again! Kind of reminds of something else.

However, now I am trying to stick the big 6" wide one in and I can't seem to find the same sweet spot. Any pointers?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fellow RL Forum Members,

I need some help.

I have finally received, after a year wait, the replacement arm rest for my 2017 RL.

One problem, i cant get the OEM arm rest off.

I have counted stitches till i cant count no more. When the aftermarket arm rest ships, Jim includes a piece of paper that you tape and it gives you the angle.....NO AVAIL. I have sat in my truck, pulled the armrest to to the top position and tugged on it as i moved the armrest down a millimeter at a time. No Dice! NADA! I have read posts on this and the pilot forum which offer little help.

I have literally pulled on this armrest so hard that it shook the ridgeline and i woke up with a sore arm this morning.

I am at a loss.

Does anyone have any mojo they can share with me on this?

My next step is to go to the dealership where i am sure there will be some tech who's never done this before and will cost me hundreds of dollars in charges.

This should not be this hard.

Anyone have any advice?

Denicio
Alright,

I'd read this blog and it put me on the right track, but I was missing a key piece of information. You NEED a ball joint seperator (AKA - Pickle Fork) to make the removal of the factory ratcheting armrest easy. Even my Honda dealership coupln't get them off with the directions Jim or Honda provided. 12 stiches or 37 degrees doesn't help if you can't apply the correct force at the right point. I've included a link to a Youtube video I made of the removal process and I'll include a couple of pictures of the before and after process. I hope this helps. Please share with anyone else having these issue on a Ridgeline, Pilot or Passport. All have the same armrests.

IMG_20200531_104231.jpg
IMG_20200531_104231.jpg IMG_20200531_104242.jpg

41 - 60 of 60 Posts