Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it isn't one thing, it's another...

Rotated my tires tonight and ran into a couple of small problems.

First, got the rear jacked up and went to place the jack stands and they wouldn't reach the jack points on the sides of the RL, so I had to put them under the wishbone that the wheel is connected to. Same problem in the front. Hope that won't affect anything, but it's cheaper than buying new jack stands.

Next, and this is the biggie, one of the lug nuts / bolt on the front, driver's side was stripped. I barely got the lug nut off and wasn't about to put it back on. This is the 1st time the wheel has been taken off, so it had to have come from the factory this way. The RL did come with wheel locks, so I suppose the dealer could have messed it up, but the wheel lock was on a different bolt.

I'll have to say, those wheel locks are a real PITA, so I left them off and put the regular lug nuts back on.

L

·
0 Posts
I had my tires rotated on my second oil change and I have had no problems so far.
Sorry you're having trouble swampi. :(

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ridgerbarry said:
Want to sell your wheel locks?
Actually, I was just thinking about putting them on ebay. Yep, I'd be willing to sell them. Haven't given much thought on what to ask for them though. Feel free to PM me an offer.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Hope it's just the nut that is stripped and not the stud also.

That happened to my wifes car and it was done at a new tire shop. They had to send it to a brake shop and have the hub removed to press the stud out and replace it.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JOZ RIDG said:
Hope it's just the nut that is stripped and not the stud also.

That happened to my wifes car and it was done at a new tire shop. They had to send it to a brake shop and have the hub removed to press the stud out and replace it.
It's the stud too. I tried to put another another lug nut on it and it wouldn't even start.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kootenayridge said:
Interesting. When I had the tires rotated at the dealer they found 1 stud stripped.
I'm at the dealer now (I hate driving into Nashville in the morning) and they said 1 to 1-1/2 hours and that they "hoped" they have any needed parts in stock. I hope so too!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick update:

Honda ordered the replacement stud and lug nut with overnight delivery. Got a call just before 10:00 this morning that the parts were in. Took it in this afternoon and just over an hour later, they were done.

Of course, I mentioned the creaky steering wheel while I'm there and they had to order the parts for it. :rolleyes: I guess I'll have them fix that next time I go in. Hope they keep the parts that long.

Took a peak in the service bay while they were working on mine, and there were 3 other RL's in the service bay. I couldn't tell if they were new ones being prepped (the one I could see had the stock # in the windshield), or if they were all being serviced. I hope that isn't a sign of things to come.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Swampler,
Try Darrel Waltrip Honda in Franklin. Don't know where your coming from, but it might be closer and my experience with them has been excellent. :) My Ridge is the 16 Honda I've purchased (over the years).

Still miss my black '90 CRX Si. It would have gone well with the 'Ridge! :(

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hondacop said:
Hey Swampler,
Try Darrel Waltrip Honda in Franklin. Don't know where your coming from, but it might be closer and my experience with them has been excellent. :) My Ridge is the 16 Honda I've purchased (over the years).

Still miss my black '90 CRX Si. It would have gone well with the 'Ridge! :(
Hey, another Tennessean. I live in Lebanon and have been taking my RL to Crest Honda. It's actually closer / easier to get to than Franklin from here. Crest seems to do a good job, they just have to order parts everytime I go in for anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I fully understand, Swapler. Just an idea. If you ever go I-65 south, exit at Hwy 96, turn left and that's Waltrip Honda.

Never hurts to have a backup! ;)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hondacop said:
I fully understand, Swapler. Just an idea. If you ever go I-65 south, exit at Hwy 96, turn left and that's Waltrip Honda.

Never hurts to have a backup! ;)
That's the truth...thanks for the recommendation. BTW, when you take your RL in, do they usually have parts in stock or do they have to order them? A single, further trip would still save time over going in twice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Creeky Steering ?
That kind of clunky sound you hear steering or bumping over curbs
anybody else hear it?

I think it is the rubber isolation pads under the coil springs.....
freshly washed it is quiet (wet)
I tried silicon on em and it was quiet for about a week

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just brought my RL for the creaky steering wheel repair and the service manager told me that Honda had examined the wheel stud they returned and said that the stub was stripped while the lug nut was being put on, and that there was no way Honda could have caused that defect. He was letting me know as a "warning" to be careful "if I was going to continue doing my tire rotations myself." :mad: That just really pisses me off.

On top of that, I was quoted $56 over the phone for the rear dif fluid change and when I got here, they said $68. :mad:

I think it's time for another dealer for service, when I need it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Maybe i'm missing something but if you took the wheels off for the first time since it was built, who else BUT Honda could have stripped out that lug :confused:

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jays0n said:
Maybe i'm missing something but if you took the wheels off for the first time since it was built, who else BUT Honda could have stripped out that lug :confused:
EXACTLY! You're not missing a thing! The lug nut guy/robot at the factory had to have stripped it putting it on. :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Hi Steve, Thanks for the info! I'm going out to check mine right now! Great post.:D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not a big thing my friend. The dealer can fix this in not time. Also, next time place some 2x4's under the jacks and they will reach. :cool:

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
gonzo's rt said:
Also, next time place some 2x4's under the jacks and they will reach. :cool:
Thanks...I just put the jack stands under the axle instead and it did fine. I did discover though that jack stands under the axle get in the way when changing the oil filter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts