Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the compression ratio on the V6 is 11.5 to 1. The owners manual calls for regular gas. Are there any problems running regular gas in these engines?

I'm going to have quite a few rookie questions over the next few weeks. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Owners manual recommends unleaded gasoline with a pump octane of 87 of higher. I have always used 87 in mine and never noticed an issue.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Good question. We have other vehicles with 10.25:1 and 11.00:1 compression ratios, and both require premium. Guessing there's more to it than the CR?

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
565 Posts
I noticed that the compression ratio on the V6 is 11.5 to 1. The owners manual calls for regular gas. Are there any problems running regular gas in these engines?

I'm going to have quite a few rookie questions over the next few weeks. Thanks in advance.
Ive always used 87 except once while traveling. I was at approximately 5000’ elevation and didn’t notice that the lowest grade fuel was 86 until the tank was full. It was probably in my head but the truck seemed slight low on power so when the tank got down to 3/4, I refilled with premium and it was back to normal.

·
Premium Member
3,893 Posts
Ignition timing, combustion chamber design and valvetrain operation (e.g. - camshaft lobe profile) can all play a significant role in required octane vs pre-detonation.

Many modern engine designs allow the timing to be automatically advanced when the ECU senses that higher-octane fuel is used, or, more correctly, retards the engine when it senses pre-detonation associated with lower octane.

The 3.5L engine in the G2 Ridgeline has not been shown to take advantage of higher-octane fuel under normal.conditions. In the G1 Ridgeline, higher-octane fuel was advantageous in allowing the torque converter to remain locked up for longer periods, especially while towing. This would reduce heat/wear on the transmission. It is reasonable to assume that the same thing would happen with the G2, although there is likely more logic built into the G2 trans and ECU, and also likely varies with the newer ZF9. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chime in here...

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
131 Posts
Ive always used 87 except once while traveling. I was at approximately 5000’ elevation and didn’t notice that the lowest grade fuel was 86 until the tank was full. It was probably in my head but the truck seemed slight low on power so when the tank got down to 3/4, I refilled with premium and it was back to normal.
I live at 6000 feet and run mid-grade 87 octane Shell. No performance issues at all, in Econ and regular modes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts