Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have commented previously on the "unbiased" nature of the Detroit Free Press. ;)

Check out the article below.

http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/reliable27e_20051027.htm

Of the 31 cars that earned a top reliability rating, 29 were Japanese and two were domestic models.

Look at the list to the right also.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
The headline doesn't exactly match the body of the article, does it? But "biased" is a pretty strong word. How about "blatantly kowtowing to their major advertisers"? :D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Wow talk about taking the same information and presenting it in a completely different light. That is amazing, they didn't mention how poorly Detroit's vehicles did, they just play off a small section in CR's documents. And it is also interesting that they mention that the ones with problems are the ones produced domestically which would give you pause about increasing domestic production.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This was an interesting note at the bottom
•While the quality gap between Asian and domestic carmakers is closing for new cars, Champion says, as domestic cars age, the gap widens. After five years, domestic cars tend to have twice as many problems as Asian brands, Champion says.

In other words...initial quality doesn't necessary reflect total quality

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kbird said:
This was an interesting note at the bottom
•While the quality gap between Asian and domestic carmakers is closing for new cars, Champion says, as domestic cars age, the gap widens. After five years, domestic cars tend to have twice as many problems as Asian brands, Champion says.

In other words...initial quality doesn't necessary reflect total quality
I alwasy chuckle to myself when I see/hear the commercials about how GM or Chrysler has the best rating in initial quality. Great!!! Now I know how the manufactures can afford the Family Plan or $1000's in Rebates and Incentives, they make up for it with replacement of parts.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
What cracks me up is Chrysler's ad the says that their reliability is "projected" to be better than Ford or GM in the next three years. What they are saying is that they certainly can't compare the past, because there is actual data that would show them in a poor light, so they will predict the future which cannot be substantiated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts