Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned 100k miles on my 07. I have about 4 months/20k miles left of my Honda Care. What problems should I look for?

I did the full timing belt service, valve adjustment, another trans service, spark plugs.

Never touched the steering, or suspension. Any common oil leaks or other common wear items to look at before my coverage expires? I'm going to crawl under the truck this weekend to probe around. Thanks in advance everyone.

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,891 Posts
Well, since we can't tell where you live, I'd suggest possibly the PS, in cold climates the PS develops issues which starve the PS Pump. Also there is possibly an O-ring issue, which allows air into the PS system.

Suspension, I'd check for leaks on the struts, which will not be easy with the way the suspension is setup. Another check is if it will continue to move multiple times after an I initial "bounce" of the truck. You could check end links & CV boots, and motor mounts

· Registered
5,700 Posts
CV Boots is indeed a good thing to check as the miles pile up. But I'd for sure change the brake fluid if you haven't before (which I'm guessing might be the case reading your query). Regarding the PS.... if you don't have any leaks, you just need to remove & replace the fluid (turkey baster or ???). It's very easy and doesn't take but a few oz. of fluid (10-ish??); you shouldn't have to bother with the o-rings or a new reservoir unless you actually have a problem. Use only Honda PS fluid; it doesn't cost that much. Coolant is also something you should have done by now. Some would change out the radiator to avoid any risk of tranny line fitting failure (a sometimes problem on older RLs). Also be sure you are tending to the transfer case & rear diff (use Honda VTM-4 fluid only) along with the tranny (which you did mention).

· Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Carsmac I'm in the Bay Area so no real hot or cold. Just boring, no season's weather. Thanks for the tips you guys. I have already had all of the fluids changed except for the PS. Forgot about that one. So drain and fill the reservoir? Is it like the Trans where you drain n fill 3x? I'll go around with a flashlight to check seals. What about steering components or ball joints? Any common issues there?

· Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
Carsmac I'm in the Bay Area so no real hot or cold. Just boring, no season's weather. Thanks for the tips you guys. I have already had all of the fluids changed except for the PS. Forgot about that one. So drain and fill the reservoir? Is it like the Trans where you drain n fill 3x? I'll go around with a flashlight to check seals. What about steering components or ball joints? Any common issues there?
I change the PS fluid every oil change suck as much out as possible and refill. I'm sure a 3x D&F wouldn't hurt and neither would changing out the PS Reservoir and going from there. But I was really suggesting items to look at for "Honda Care" to possibly take care of.

Read this thread... it will give you leads on what to check in the front suspension.
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90641

Dnick, I think the OP was looking for things which the "Honda Care" warranty would take care of.

· Registered
275 Posts
If you have the original plastic pulleys on the back seats, you could 'accidently' break them:act006: and it should be covered on your warranty. The replacements are metal. I read somewhere on this site where a guy actually was going to do that to get some use out of his extended warranty. Mine still are ok, but who knows for how long.

· Registered
3,082 Posts
You might just want to take it in and pay for a good "once over" check by a mechanic. A small investment that might find a huge repair...

· Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,175 Posts
There is a specific procedure to swap all of the PS fluid at once. It's very easy and requires the use of a friend to turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times. I would suggest doing that instead of the 3x drain and fill. It's much faster and best to have all fresh fluid in there. Replace the reservoir while you're at it and use Honda PS fluid. It's no more expensive than other fluids and just makes sense. You'll need about 3 bottles to do the full flush, but I would have a 4th on hand just in case. If you do a search, the procedure is fully documented on here somewhere.

· Registered
4,380 Posts
I guess time will tell but I have never done the PS fluid change. I axed the stealler about it and he said nope. I have just done everything the minder has told me to. As far as CV boots go (good call Dnick) check that rubber real good. I had on crack and you will notice it if your ever under your truck. That grease goes eveywhere and its a job to clean up. My sway bar links are the same way they crack loose grease and cease. For some reason the rubber under there isnt lasting forever. Oh well what does one do, just keep an eye on things and hope you catch it before its a problem. And most of the time its when your ready for a trip or worse into it.

· Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I checked as much as I could crawling underneath...I don't see any oil, coolant, diff, PS etc. leaks or even seepage. My CV boots have no micro cracks yet. Radiator fittings look solid (Nor. CA. and no salt).

I lifted the control arm and pried-up on the wheels. No play in lower ball joints. No play in tie-rod ends or rack. Although I didn't check the swaybar end links, I dont hear any clunking. No leaking from the struts.

My AC works fine although it's never been re-charged. 102 degrees outside last weekend it cooled to 45-50 at the vent. Assuming my $5 thermometer is accurate.

Power locks and windows all work fine. I don't know what else to look for. Hondacare expires in September.

· Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
Good to know. Do I change it out...or just unscrew the trans. lines and inspect?
A fluid test will tell you what is going on internally with the Transmission and Coolant.

From what I understand you cannot unscrew and inspect.

Blackstone Labs or Lab One can test.

Blackstone Labs test is a little more user friendly Lab One is alot less expensive.

· Registered
5,700 Posts
Good to know. Do I change it out...or just unscrew the trans. lines and inspect?
Honestly, if you want to be proactive and "get fresh" with the truck, then swap in a new radiator. But if the lines look 'clean' (no sign of corrosion even on the washer between), you should be fine motoring on down the road. The SMOD is overrated in the sense of frequency of occurrence, but not in the sense of severe consequences.
If you were going through the truck refreshing everything, this would definitely be one thing to do. If you're just trying to apply preventive maintenance to areas that look in need, I wouldn't worry at 100K about this, given where you live and the (presumed) total absence of tell-tale signs around the fittings.

FWIW I don't believe I've ever seen/heard on this forum of a failed fitting set that did not exhibit some degree of corrosion, at least on the belville washer (expands & pushes out fittings). I know there has been extensive discussion on this point... and my memory may be faulty. YMMV

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.