Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my '07 in today to get the airbag and blower recalls done. Between my wife and I, the over/under for how much unnecessary b.s. additional recommended repairs would cost was $600. Sure enough, while I was eating lunch I got a text saying "this vehicle needs both complance bushings and aligment". (sic) I told him to forget it and just do the recalls. (frankly I was worried they would sabotage it in some way). When it was done, I asked him how much it would have cost. Both bushings $520 and assume the aligment would be over $100 so I guess I won since I took the over. Funny thing is, I just had my front end totally fixed including alignment after a run-in with a desert wash. (a story for another thread). I took the over because the last recall I took it in for (different dealer), their b.s. recommendation was $680. :grin:

I don't know why anyone would take their car to dealer except for recalls.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I don't know why anyone would take their car to dealer except for recalls.
and the fact that Honda tech's work on Honda's on a daily basis and they use Honda parts.

I have seen a fair share of shady corner shops as well. When you take your car to some corner shop are you sure that the "New" part they charged you for is in fact a new part and not some cheap reman with next to no warranty? Even though you swam up for an extended package or upgraded part. They just hope that when you pull out the door you won't have any trouble with the part you installed. That's what they bank on, and any extra cash goes in their pockets.

So that amazingly priced $60 brake job, that they up-sold you on the lifetime pads, ends up costing you just $80. wow that's a great deal.....except they install a $40 part! They pocket the $40 and hope you don't notice or come back for warranty. Or if you do that it's for another part they can fleece you on. Just saying! :wink:

Not saying all shops are like this, and if you are one of the lucky few who have had a life long freindship with a technician that is great. I always tell people to find a good shop and stick with it. problem is at times it's hard to find a good shop. I know people who follow tech's from one shop to another. I don't have that issues as I work on all of my own vehicles. Downside to that is warranty! I have to do all the labour. ;)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear you. I just happen to have a great mechanic I've been going to for 20 years and he is very honest. I don't know what I'll do when he retires. LOL

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I hear you. I just happen to have a great mechanic I've been going to for 20 years and he is very honest. I don't know what I'll do when he retires. LOL
The Honda Dealership I go to is part of multi dealership group now. But the original dealership was a Honda dealership back in the 70s. It was Pontiac and Honda they stopped selling Pontiacs and went full Honda. I purchased my first new car there a 1980 Prelude. Also purchased 2nd and 3rd new cars there 1990 and 1994 Accord sedans. So they were also serviced there. The current service manager started working there about 1985. The dealership was sold just after I purchased my 1994 Accord but staff remained. I purchased an Acura at different dealership.
It was 7yrs and we purchased the then new 2007 Ridgeline.
Same service manager had went to the Chevrolet service part but then came back to Honda service at the main dealership service. They then put him at the old original Honda Service Center from the 70s. It was reopened in the late 90s. They do a lot of business at the old shop so they have 2 service locations.

·
Registered
252 Posts
There is indeed something to be said about OEM parts...
Luckily, my local Honda dealership has finally figured out how to be competitive with their pricing - both for service & parts. I guess I should consider myself lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
I understand your dealer feelings. I received a dealer notice the other day suggesting my that a Service is due. Hmm how do they know? I didn't even purchase the RL from this closest dealership. I get the feeling that their just trying to drum up business. As their sales appear slow. I was at this dealer about a month ago with my now former '04 CRV. This dealership didn't seem to interested in taking my '04 CRV in a trade on a newer one. But the local Subaru dealer seemed happy to do business so the CRV was traded.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with all that has been said. Use of genuine Honda parts, experienced mechanics, etc. My complaint is EVERY time I have been to (multiple) dealers they have tried to sell me totally unnecessary repairs and/or maintenance. Things a more trusting person might say "wow, you better go ahead and add those to my bill". $$$$

edit: do they really need to lie and scam to stay in business?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've had similar experiences with dealerships as well.

If you can find a trusted mechanic in an independent shop, it is so much better, usually.
The dealership mechanics do have access to all the OEM stuff (training/parts/codes/etc) all the time and can be accountable for that whereas an independent may not have 100% of it and while they may be accomplished mechanics, could still have an issue that the dealership wouldn't.

That said, I have a cousin, by marriage, who just started running a shop for the owner. Took him my 01 4Runner for some routine maintenance, as the Toyota dealership wanted ~$1500+ (this was one of the big milestone routine maintenances).

He got the OEM parts but his shop's labor is a lot less (lives 2 hours away in a smaller area as well). He also checked condition of the items and did NOT replace things that he felt were 100% fine.

What he told me is that most of the shops (dealerships and others) will just replace whatever is listed for the maintenance, even if it is perfectly fine at that point (brakes, etc). So, you may have had brakes done less than a year ago, but if they are listed, they go. Just an example here.

So, just understand that part about dealerships....if you go in and there is a maintenance, they are likely to just take out and replace and charge you the full amount. Other than that, yeah.....they always seem to FIND something extra to do.....I have had them do that, me decline, and then take it to an independent I used for years and have them say "nope...perfectly fine".

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Dealer said I should consider doing an alignment.
I drive the car so I know it is pushing a bit to the right.
How much? 90.00+tax.
Ok, lets do it.

An hour later my car is ready.

_We did the alignment but the car is still pushing a bit to the right.
_But the alignment should take care of this, rigth?
_Well, our alignment service just checks and corrects the geometry, and this is all good. To do more specific alignment you have to take to other shop, we cannot do this here.
_! ! ! ! !

Tell me if your garage, any garage, have the balls to do this and expect to be in business the next year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts