Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RTL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a fluid extractor through the transmission dip stick as part of the ATF change? I have this extractor device from Griots in my garage that I used years ago with an older Benz for certain fluid changes.

I am completely aware of the multiple drain and fills recommended for ATF fluid change and also not using a fluid exchanger machine in the process. My thoughts are would using this extractor via the dip stick allow much more ATF to be removed at once than just draining the 3.3qts 3 to 4 times? Any filters or internal parts to worry about down through the dipstick?

I would still do a traditional drain / fill from the bottom plug maybe two times with driving between in addition to using the extractor.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,800 Posts
When an ATF fluid service is called for by the maintenance minder, Honda only requires a single dump and fill of the transmission fluid accessed through the drain bolt on the bottom of the transmission and the fill bolt on the top.
If for some reason (SMOD event, atf fluid is damaged, unknown service history, changing over from Z1 to DW1 fuids) you need to do a more complete fluid change then a 4x Dump and Fill procedure is recommended with a bit of driving between each D&F.
Using a fluid extractor shouldn't have much impact (better or worse) on how much fluid you draw out. I also don't think you need to worry about damaging any of the internals with the extractor tube. That said, there is a magnet on the drain bolt that collects metal particles as the transmission wears. You won't be able to inspect and clean off that magnet using the extractor method.
Filling the transmission through the dipstick hole is fine and IMHO makes sense as a shortcut in the transmission fluid change. I personally would drain the fluid through the drain bolt, measure how much you got out, clean the magnet and then refill (using the same amount of fluid that came out) through the dipstick hole with a proper funnel. Obviously your fluid level has to be correct before you drained it out.
Have fun!

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RTL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If doing the 4x Dump and Fill procedure having around 14 quarts of ATF on hand is sufficient? Draining 3 to 3.5 quarts 4x.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,800 Posts
I think 14 should be good. You will likely know after you do your first D&F how much fluid is going to come out each time so do the math at that point and make sure you will have enough in the end. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts