Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I buy a Ridgeline
Should I buy it in Dallas, Texas and drive to Atlanta
Or should I wait till I move to Atlanta, Ga to buy it.

Which state would have the best (lowest) taxes??



109 Posts
I bought mine in the Dallas area and I think the sales tax WOULD HAVE BEEN 8%. I did not pay theirs since I am from New Mexico. Ours is only 3 percent.

If you want a super deal on a Ridgeline tho, go to and look for the internet manager. His first initial is S. I don't think we are allowed to say names so won't say anymore but if you need more info email me off group ([email protected]) and I will give you all the info. They treated me great and a super price - $500 over factory invoice - and no add ons at all but then mine was just off the transport. They usually put a "pro" package on - rear mud flaps, locking nuts, etc. I saved over $2,700 on my RTL w/moonroof.

Just call the MVD and ask them - its usually the same state wide as it is state controlled.

Mine was the one that got hailed on in Amarillo so that hurt but just got back from a 2,400 mile trip from Taos to Salt Lake to Eastern Montana and back to Taos through Denver. It was over 95 the whole way and lots of it was at 100 degrees. The truck ran great but when you drive F-A-S-T gas mileage sucks big time :eek:

Hope this helps.

26 Posts
Sales tax in Texas for new cars is 6.25 %. Not sure what it is in Atlanta. If its lower do it there. If its higher do it in Texas. You will pay the the sales tax either way when you register. Might be better to put it all in the loan if you get a good interest rate.
Also remember that your trade-in will be deducted from your purchase price of the new Ridgeline in Texas. That means you will only be paying 6.25% on the remaining balance. 30K ridge minus 10K trade-in = 20K truck x 6.26% = your taxes owed.
Also I would consider getting your best price from Bankston and then going to Eagle Honda in Dallas and see if they can beat it. I would say they would be the better place to buy from but you are moving to Atlanta and its Eagle Honda's service that I am impressed with more then anything.
Big word of warning. David McDavid Honda....please do not go there. Any Honda dealer that tells you that they are selling you the extended warranty for your Honda at a great price, but then you find out later that it is not a HONDA WARRANTY! I was so pissed off. I did not even find out until a year later. That is just plain wrong.
Good luck

362 Posts

You are considered a Georgia resident if you have a permanent place to live in Georgia and except for infrequent, brief absences, you have been in Georgia for thirty- (30) days.

Driver's License
It is recommended that you obtain a Georgia driver's license or Georgia identification card before registering your vehicle in this state. To be able to legally operate a vehicle in this state, you must obtain a Georgia driver's license within thirty - (30) days of establishing residency. Click here to connect to their web site.

Vehicle Registration - What, When and Where to Register
As a Georgia resident, you must register your cars, trucks, trailers, motorcycles and motor homes and apply for Georgia certificates of title, when a Georgia title is required, within thirty- (30) days of establishing residency in this state at the Tax Commissioner's Office in the county in Georgia where you reside. Click here for additional information regarding where to register your vehicles in this State.

Click here for a list of vehicles that are not required to be registered in this state.

What is Needed to Register and/or Title My Vehicle in Georgia?
Generally, 1986 and newer year model vehicles require a Georgia certificate of title. Click here to see if your vehicle requires a Georgia title. Unless you already have a Georgia title issued in your name for your vehicle or the vehicle does not require a Georgia title, you must apply for a Georgia title at the same time you register your vehicle at your County Tax Commissioner's Office. A Georgia title will not be issued for a vehicle based on a registration certificate from a non-title state or country when the vehicle does not require a Georgia title (1963-1985 year model vehicles).

County Tax Commissioners' Offices in this state have varying rules for new residents. Most require a new resident to appear in person at their office with the following:

Show your valid Georgia driver's license or state-issued identification card when applying in-person. If registration by mail is acceptable in your county, you may be required to submit a legible copy of your valid Georgia driver's license or identification card with your application.
A completed MV-1 tag and title application - typed, completed on-line and printed or completed legibly by-hand in blue or black ink, except for the signature, in the vehicle owner's full legal name and signed. If jointly owned, each owner's name must be entered and each owner must sign. A natural person's full legal name would be his or her complete name as it appears on his or her valid Georgia driver's license or Georgia identification card. For natural persons, enter each owner's valid Georgia driver's license number or Georgia identification card number in the spaces provided. Click here to view this Department's policy regarding identification and applications for Georgia tags and/or titles.
If all owners go in person to their County Tax Commissioner's Office with their valid Georgia driver's license or Georgia identification card, the required documents, fees and applicable motor vehicle ad valorem taxes, this application can be completed online and printed for your signature and processing. This application can be used to apply for both a tag and title at your County Tax Commissioner's Office.
Original valid out-of-state title; manufacturer’s statement of origin; or a registration from a non-title state, if your vehicle is a 1986 or newer year model vehicle currently registered in a state or country that does not issue titles for this type and/or year model vehicle, must be submitted. A manufacturer's statement of origin is required for a "new" vehicle that has never been issued a title. If your financial institution. i.e. Bank, credit union, etc., or leasing company is holding your title, submit your registration certificate and applicable fees and taxes along with a completed T-17 Affidavit of Title Held by Lien or Security Interest Holder or Leasing Company form. The person processing your application will then contact your financial institution or leasing company by mail requesting the submission of your out-of-state title for the issuance of a Georgia title. The Georgia Title, when issued, will be mailed to your first lien or security interest holder at the address shown on your application. If your vehicle is not financed but is leased, the Georgia title, when issued, will be mailed to the vehicle's legal owner, the leasing company. If your vehicle is not financed or leased, the title will be mailed to you, the vehicle owner.
A completed and signed T-22B Certification of Inspection form must accompany an application for registration of a vehicle that is not eligible for a Georgia title, i.e. A 1963-1985 year model vehicle. This form is also required with applications for Georgia title for 1986 and newer year model vehicles that are supported by a registration from a non-title state or country. This form should be completed by a duly constituted city, county or state law enforcement officer in the State of Georgia, your County Tag Agent or your County Tag Agent's designed employee after making a visual inspection of your vehicle's serial plate. The officer completing this form is required to query the Georgia Crime Information Center to determine if the vehicle is stolen, and they shall indicate that a query was made on the face of this form. Except for the signature, this form must be typed or electronically completed and printed or printed legibly by-hand in blue or black ink. Click on any form name or number on this page to complete it on-line for printing, signing and submission. Note: Altered or incomplete forms will not be accepted.
Your vehicle must be covered with Georgia liability insurance before it can be legally operated in this state and before a tag can be issued, renewed, replaced or transferred. Click here for more information. Non-motorized vehicles, i.e. trailers, campers, etc., and vehicles not requiring registration in this state, i.e. golf carts, bicycles, snow mobiles, etc., do not require liability insurance coverage.
Submit proof that your vehicle has passed an emission's inspection when required for your vehicle in your county of residence. For requiring counties, exempt vehicles, inspection station locations, directions, the cost for an inspection, etc., please either call the Georgia Clean Air Force at 1-800-449-2471 or click here to connect to their web site.
Pay all fees and applicable taxes* with cash, check or money order payable to the Office of the Tax Commissioner. Please do not remit cash through the mail! Some counties accept credit cards. Generally checks must be imprinted with a local bank's address and out-of-state checks are usually not accepted.
*As a new resident, initial registration of most vehicles will cost $38.00 for each vehicle that must be registered and titled -- $18 title fee and $20 registration fee. Click here to view a rate chart showing the types of regular-issue tags available and the annual registration fee for each. This rate chart does not include registration fees for commercial vehicles registered in this state under the International Registration Plan, IRP.

Ad valorem tax may be due depending upon when you, the primary owner - owner shown first on your vehicle's title or registration certificate, became a Georgia resident and your registration period in your county of residence. The registration period for the majority of counties is the thirty- (30) day period of time ending at midnight on the primary owner's birthday. The primary owner would be the owner shown first on the vehicle's title and/or tag registration certificate, a/k/a/ tag receipt. Click here to determine your registration period in your county of residence. Ad valorem tax is based on the vehicle's value and the financial needs of various levying authorities in your county of residence. Contact your County Tax Commissioner's Office to see if this tax is due, and if due, the amount or click here to calculate the amount of ad valorem tax due for your vehicle.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts