Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone upgraded their audio system? Personally I find the upgraded system in my RTL just a bit lacking in clarity and stereo imaging. Thought about taking it into Hawk and upgrading the speakers and adding a better sound eq/processor.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I like the sound of mine but it does lack the front tweets, even though they are there it does not seem to fill in like others do. Of course some of the problem is input, depending on what your listening to and the quality of it. I will agree .. it needs something even if its just tweeters placed in the doors by the window like most do. and the volume control on the wheel could be a tad faster too. MHO

·
Registered
491 Posts
I was thinking of just upgrading the door speakers. Has anyone looked at how they come out??
I would hate to have some monkey take off my door panel and reinstall it incorrectly...as things usually happen with those places. Every time I have one of those places do something the car comes back worse off. I hate to spend 33k and have somebodys greasy fingerprints on my interior and pry marks on the plastic panels....if you knw what i mean

·
Registered
26 Posts
With that being said, the only way to REALLY do it, is do it yourself.

I'm measuring for a subwoofer box now to fit under the seats. I doubt that I'd get to it anytime soon though.

At the very least I'd like to put a deck in to replace the one I currently have. Perhaps something with mp3 capability.

·
Registered
362 Posts
They should come up with some super small satellites and place them in all 4 corners of the roof and a sub to fill in. Like a bose system for your truck. One of the best sounding factory systems I have ever heard was in the Acura TL and an Infinity Q45 Bose system. Outstanding. I have a bose system at home and the clarity of sound is amazing. If anyone is shopping, its well worth the price if your going for quality and clarity over blare and volume. JMHO :)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The imaging of this system is pretty poor. It's not real powerful, and has a heavy limiter on it. It's tough coming from a much nicer system. But overall I like it enough to leave it alone. The only thing I might consider replacing it for would be an in-dash aftermarket nav system like the Alpine.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
If you have the RL NAV...It is an Alpine system:)

shovelhd said:
The imaging of this system is pretty poor. It's not real powerful, and has a heavy limiter on it. It's tough coming from a much nicer system. But overall I like it enough to leave it alone. The only thing I might consider replacing it for would be an in-dash aftermarket nav system like the Alpine.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Do you think just replacing the speakers would help?? After I drive our Volvo with 12 speakers and Dolby surround this thing sounds terrible- but not rip it all out terrible.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
maybearidge said:
Do you think just replacing the speakers would help?? After I drive our Volvo with 12 speakers and Dolby surround this thing sounds terrible- but not rip it all out terrible.
Exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself.

The risk with replacing speakers on a stock system is that they won't match up well in terms of efficiency, so you may end up with a better sounding system that doesn't play as loud, and it doesn't play loud enough now.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
You know it. I put in my own system in the Ranger (and took it all out before the trade as well). Alpine head unit, two old school Rockford Fosgate amps with 600W RMS total, MB Quart Reference times four, and a JL Audio sub. I Dynamatted the whole interior first. It was a SQ system, not built for SPL, and had great imaging.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have the Nav too and was going to mention it was an alpine system. :D Again depending on the source some music I have I can crank it up to 40 and its ok and then others are too loud at 20. So the recording levels may help or if you have a MP3 player like I use you can bump up the volume with that and your radio and Badabing.. sounds Mahvelous !! Im not going to rip anything out of mine, was just talking about replacing the tweets with something better. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I thought I was the only one that thought it sounded like crap.
No imaging at all, the sound is a mess.
Sometimes it sounds good enough, but mostly when
I want to rock, it sucks. Tiring.
Front speakers will definitly get replaced.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I pretty much agree that the imaging and the mid to high freqs are just not there. Now the bass, that's another thing, but I would like a more balanced sound like something similar to my RX-300. Hell, I thought something was wrong with the limiter on "40". 40? That's like saying the party starts at 7:03PM! :D
It's fine for now, but I think some satellite tweets mounted on the rear view mirror panel (black, triangle kinda cover. I did this on my Accord and it turned out very nicely) And I agree it lacks the overall spaciousnes of my Bose system, but it ain't milquetoast either, ya know.
That EQ screen always shows the mid to be flat as a pancake, but of course it has no mid range attent. I have even tried using different acoustic settings on my DFX module while burning CDs, but it doesn't seem to "open it up" like I want it. (soooo American, isn't it? pay $34K for a vehicle, then bitch about it!!! :rolleyes: )
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
there was an early posting about the stereo system in the RL. I guess if you have the RTS and above the Head Unit or HU has enough power to push any upgraded speakers. The thing was, nobody knew the size of the speakers that was in the door or have experience taking or replacing the speakers.
I've decided to wait a little longer in getting my RL, not in a hurry to get one yet. If or when i do, i plan on replacing the door speakers with H/K speakers (Harmon Kardon Speakers) and keeping the head unit, and finding a way to hook up my IPOD to the HU too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hmm...I was initially under the impression that the Ridgeline had pretty decent audio. I guess it depends on who you ask.

I'll probably bring over my 240W Alpine HU and see how the OEM speakers handle it. Something tells me I'll be doing a complete overhaul. Has anyone looked into where to put an aftermarket subwoofer/amp? I'm getting an RT, so I'm guessing there's a space where the OEM sub is located in the RTS/RTL, though I've heard it's pretty tight. I'd just hate to take up storage space under the back seat if I can fit it elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The Great Tristano said:
Hmm...I was initially under the impression that the Ridgeline had pretty decent audio. I guess it depends on who you ask.

I'll probably bring over my 240W Alpine HU and see how the OEM speakers handle it. Something tells me I'll be doing a complete overhaul. Has anyone looked into where to put an aftermarket subwoofer/amp? I'm getting an RT, so I'm guessing there's a space where the OEM sub is located in the RTS/RTL, though I've heard it's pretty tight. I'd just hate to take up storage space under the back seat if I can fit it elsewhere.
Please post some pics if you do decide to put the alpine HU. I wonder if the alpine HU with navi will fit? or just a standard MP3/WAV Alpine HU?

·
Registered
55 Posts
There are lots of nit picky type things going on on this forum, but this is not one of them. I agree with the sentiments about bitching above. It's not bitching at all because it is a substandard system for sure. I've got the volvo guy's issue, I come out of my Expedition with the 350 watt stock Eddie Baurer system, albeit an upgrade, into the RL's (150 watt's maybe?) system and the speakers are underwhelmed, sound quality is poor with no depth IMHO.

I have no clue what the soloution is so I will be watching this thread with interest.

Thanks for a great websight contributions. Nice to learn so mch about my truck before I've even turned the first 1,000 K !

John

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Are you guys all deaf? I can't play my stereo above 12 without getting a headache. :eek:

Seriously lay off of the Rock Concert Rides for a while and let your ears have a break before all you hear is a constant hum.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts