Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My audio system has varied volume between the different audio modes. CD volume is much lower than the others. CD volume of 36 = FM volume of 12. I did a search here and found a few examples of where CD is often louder than FM, (opposite to mine). I read where changing from CD to FM to XM and back to CD might equalise the volume and it works, but each time I power off the truck the CD volume decreases again. I hadn't used the CD much and only noticed this recently so I don't know if it happened after I made some upgrades.

I have added a USA Spec BT45-HON bluetooth device and upgraded the Tweeters, otherwise my system is stock.

Is there a way to program the Stock HU to equalise volume levels accross all modes?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I believe the threads that talk about the volume variation issue identify it as an unfortunate by-product of changes that happened with 2009 RL update. I also believe I remember that Joe & others said Honda will do nothing to correct this... and I don't remember that anyone has a solution, except to put in an aftermarket HU. You might search Joe (Csimo's posts if you can find that one... he had some very specific things to say about this... sorry I can't direct you).

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer swapped out my CD player under warranty this week to fix my volume issue. First they tried replacing the radio, and that didn't help. Now all audio source volumes are equal and the system works as it should.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Dealer swapped out my CD player under warranty this week to fix my volume issue. First they tried replacing the radio, and that didn't help. Now all audio source volumes are equal and the system works as it should.
Interesting.... are you familiar with the XM volume issue for '09-'14? (as referenced earlier in this thread)
If so, try doing the XM to CD thing and see if your new replacement still carries this "peculiarity". There has been no word or other indication that this bug has been fixed, but since you've got a new unit, maybe we could gleen some insight (but fixed or not). There are a lot of folks unhappy with this phenomenon who would like very much to know if it's gone a way with newer OEM (replacement) equipment. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Interesting.... are you familiar with the XM volume issue for '09-'14? (as referenced earlier in this thread)
If so, try doing the XM to CD thing and see if your new replacement still carries this "peculiarity". There has been no word or other indication that this bug has been fixed, but since you've got a new unit, maybe we could gleen some insight (but fixed or not). There are a lot of folks unhappy with this phenomenon who would like very much to know if it's gone a way with newer OEM (replacement) equipment. Thanks
Well the Honda Service Advisor said they changed out the CD Player, but when I look at the paperwork it seems they changed the Tuner Assy.
I just went out on the driveway and played around with my stock '14 HU. I compared the volume between the AM/FM, CD and XM. To me they all sounded equal volume wise. If anything the fidelity is better/crisper in the CD and AM/FM over the XM. I tried this with and without a CD installed, and found no real difference in the volume. I will try it again when I hit the highway to se if there is any noticeable difference at speed with road noise etc.
I did shut off the ignition and started up again in each mode for this test. When I got the RL back from the dealer all my Nav favorites were there but I had to re-program my AM/FM presets so I'm not sure really how much hardware was changed out.
I don't know if serial numbers are sequential as the replacement unit is a lower number than the old unit?

Part 1:- http://www.bkhondaparts.com/auto-pa...st-heater-fuel-cat/audio-unit-navigation-scat

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
I just went out on the driveway and played around with my stock '14 HU. I compared the volume between the AM/FM, CD and XM. To me they all sounded equal volume wise. If anything the fidelity is better/crisper in the CD and AM/FM over the XM. I tried this with and without a CD installed, and found no real difference in the volume. I will try it again when I hit the highway to se if there is any noticeable difference at speed with road noise etc.
I did shut off the ignition and started up again in each mode for this test.
I'll damn near guarantee your Ridgeline had and has the "XM EQ bug" just like every other navi-equipped model from '09-'14.

1. Tune to an XM station that has higher quality music that is fairly constant in volume like pop or country or dance (in other words, don't use a classical or talk station).

2. Turn the igntion off.

3. Turn the ignition back on and listen to how XM sounds.

4. With a playable CD loaded in the changer, change the mode to CD. There is no need to actually wait until the CD starts playing - simply cycling to CD mode while a playable CD is loaded is sufficient.

5. Switch back to XM mode and continue listening to the same song you were just listening to in step 3. There should not only be a very noticeable increase volume level, but more bass and treble as well. This "workaround" will last the remainder of the current ignition cycle, but will have to be performed again each time the ignition switch returns to "on" or "accessory" from either "off" or "start".

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I followed zroger73's instructions and I don't really hear much variance in volume between the modes. The XM (I used Jazz 67), does not have the sound quality of the FM or CD but volume seems about the same. Maybe it's my pilot ears?
Someday I will have to do a side by side comparison with another RTL/NAV or SE owner.

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
I am by no means an audiophile, but I'm probably more conscious and critical than the average listener. To my ears, the before and after is like night and day. Unfortunately, there is no easy way objectively measure the difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts