Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any Non-navi member have the mirror compass? I would love to know how you like it. A picture of this poor man's navigation system diplaying the direction would be great. Does it dim the rear-view high beams sufficiently?

Did you install it yourself? I have the installation instructions and it looks easy enough.

Help me decide if I want to order this accessory.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
steveberger said:
Does any Non-navi member have the mirror compass? I would love to know how you like it. A picture of this poor man's navigation system diplaying the direction would be great. Does it dim the rear-view high beams sufficiently?

Did you install it yourself? I have the installation instructions and it looks easy enough.

Help me decide if I want to order this accessory.
Hey Steve, my RTL came with the rear view mirror and compass. I like the compass. I had it in my cherokee. But it is not auto dimming however. It's manually flipped to dim and it is good for dimming high beams. I have had no problems using it. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think two separate, yet similar items are being discussed.

The RTL comes with a "standard" mirror that has a nautical looking compass in the mirror. Depending on which direction you are heading the letter(s) will light up with a pleasant blue color. I really like this feature. It, like the Ridgeline itself, is different from the normal little black square with a letter(s) in it.

I think the original question was for the aftermarket accessory mirror that automatically dims when it is dark outside and detects a bright light striking it from the rear. This mirror has the more traditional little black square with a letter(s).

My wife's Subaru has the auto dimming mirror with a compass and it is nice. I wouldn't say it is great, but it does the job.

In all honesty, I haven't noticed the need to have an auto dimming mirror. I guess that could be because I had cars before and now I have a pickup that sits up higher and has tinted rear windows. Most vehicles are too low to affect me or the tinted windows dim the lights enough to not be a problem.

I will say this about Honda's attention to detail, have any of you noticed that when the tab on the non-auto dimming mirror is pushed forward, you don't see the tab? I have mine set this way and love it. I think that is pretty cool and I also love the "nautical" compass. Everyone who has ridden in my truck thinks that is pretty cool too.

·
Registered
484 Posts
nevadagarth said:
I think two separate, yet similar items are being discussed.

The RTL comes with a "standard" mirror that has a nautical looking compass in the mirror. Depending on which direction you are heading the letter(s) will light up with a pleasant blue color. I really like this feature. It, like the Ridgeline itself, is different from the normal little black square with a letter(s) in it.

I think the original question was for the aftermarket accessory mirror that automatically dims when it is dark outside and detects a bright light striking it from the rear. This mirror has the more traditional little black square with a letter(s).
I think so too. I took out the "standard" mirror with 4-point compass (blue LED to show direction) and installed the auto-dim (had them on previous vehicles and loved them, just wish it connected to the outside mirrors like my others did). It works great. Was that the original question? I already forgot...

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I also have the auto-dimming mirror. It was in my truck at the meet. I really like it. We have way too may tailgaters around here and it really helps at night.

·
Registered
774 Posts
The auto-dimming mirror is well worth the money. Even with tinted windows, the dimming feature does make a difference at night. Also, the compass with the blue LED indicator appears to be highly accurate.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
BTW the auto-dimmer can be shut off in case you need to keep an eye on whatever you are towing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the auto/dim with compass on my RTS and I love the auto/dim and like the compass alot. Great item, must have.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. You convinced me. H&A here I come. Will post pics of the install.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
steveberger said:
Does any Non-navi member have the mirror compass? I would love to know how you like it.QUOTE]

Even with the Navi.. its a big help. I do not always use the navi and really like to know what direction I'm heading! I had the mirror added and is worth every cent! The auto dim works very well and directions are right on the money! Even in my parking garage at work... it works great, my old GM used to spaz out in the garage and not re sink itself for many miles..

·
Registered
138 Posts
TheRidgester said:
steveberger said:
Does any Non-navi member have the mirror compass? I would love to know how you like it.QUOTE]

Even with the Navi.. its a big help. I do not always use the navi and really like to know what direction I'm heading! I had the mirror added and is worth every cent! The auto dim works very well and directions are right on the money! Even in my parking garage at work... it works great, my old GM used to spaz out in the garage and not re sink itself for many miles..
So Ridgester, you have the Navi and the auto dim mirror? Was there a connection point for the wiring for the mirror to plug into already on your Navi model? I would be highly interested in having the day night function in the mirror, even if it means having Navi AND a compass.

·
Registered
484 Posts
EBone said:
So Ridgester, you have the Navi and the auto dim mirror? Was there a connection point for the wiring for the mirror to plug into already on your Navi model? I would be highly interested in having the day night function in the mirror, even if it means having Navi AND a compass.
Yep, there's a plug tucked up above the headliner behind the driver's sun visor. I installed my own. Was kind of a pain taping up the wiring harnesses in there but it went ok.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts