Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
61 - 80 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
dboz said:
I just got word today that as of 11/16 there is no fix for the locks. Having referenced the previous part numbers with the dealer, they say the part could cause havoc with other electical systems and they were not sure it would fix the problem on US trucks. Honda says it never intended all the doors to unlock. Where I get confused is people say they have the function. I guess that is just to add some fuel to the controversy. The dealer just got a 10/05 truck in today and they tried to program it to all unlock and no success. So unless those guys have Canadian trucks (it is possible they are different) I doubt any US trucks have the feature. It may be added to them later due to the apparent demand, but for those of us with trucks already I believe we are SOL for now.
It's amazing how a dealer will make up information so they sound like they know what they are talking about. How could this change cause havoc withe electric system, when the lock switch already unlocks all the doors. Further its not a problem but a common Honda design that apparently many people don't like.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Jeez, I am glad mine works! This is the craziest thing about this truck. For anybody who is getting the run around from their dealer, print this out, and take it to them. Show them there are other people, who also have spent $30,000+ on thier product, at OTHER delaers and........in my case for example:

ALL 4 DOORS UNLOCK WHEN TRANSMISSION IS SHIFTED TO PARK​

We are not imagining this..........it's true. September builds (mine was late September)

I will say, that mine did not work the first time. But the second time, I got it. It might have been that I had to turn off the auto lock feature, then re-set it to auto lock, THEN set the auto UNLOCK. Just throwing it out there. No expert here. Just a very VERY satisfied owner of the world's best kept automotive secret!

Good luck!:)

·
Registered
336 Posts
DoctorJ said:
It's amazing how a dealer will make up information so they sound like they know what they are talking about. How could this change cause havoc withe electric system, when the lock switch already unlocks all the doors. Further its not a problem but a common Honda design that apparently many people don't like.
They are saying that the fix is upstream of some other systems which may cause other problems since it appeared the part was for the Canadian truck. I am not getting the run around in my opinion. ALso, how many people claim this option works? It seems like there are just a couple and thats it. Sounds real strange. Also, why would 9/05 work and not 10/05?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't mind the driver's door only unlock (it's nice and secure to have late at night in dark parking lots), but what drives me crazy is the "automatic relock if you don't open a door" feature!!!!

You unlock via the remote. A few moments later, the doors all lock all by themselves! I'll typically unlock and put something in the in-bed trunk, but by the time I get to the driver's door, the car has relocked itself.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Smorgasbord said:
I don't mind the driver's door only unlock (it's nice and secure to have late at night in dark parking lots), but what drives me crazy is the "automatic relock if you don't open a door" feature!!!!

You unlock via the remote. A few moments later, the doors all lock all by themselves! I'll typically unlock and put something in the in-bed trunk, but by the time I get to the driver's door, the car has relocked itself.
this never happened to me. But usually, I'll unlock by remote, start the truck to warm it up while i load the trash or what ever. Next time I'll just use the unlock, then load and see what happens.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Smorgasbord said:

Yes, this is true. If you don't open a door within 30 seconds, it will automatically re-lock. Opening the trunk doesn't count, unfortunately -- although someone on the ROC actually found this useful when he wanted to *only* get into the trunk, he thought it would be easy to walk away without re-locking the car. That being said, I think 30 seconds is not long enough. Really, 2 minutes would've been good.

Normally I just open and close a back door real quickly if I'm going to be doing stuff in the trunk first but want to make the car stay unlocked.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine is a 09/05 build date and all doors unlock when shifted to park. Took several trys to get it to work.;)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I like that all doors relock. I carry around my keys in my pockets all too often. And I know that if I can set off the horn once in a while, I am likely also able to unlock the doors without knowing it. Just a little extra security for when I unlock them by mistake. 30 seconds does at times seem short, like when I unlock the car, the lock my front door and detour to pick up my mail, it almost always relocks on me. I know now to not unlock till I reach the bottom of my steps.

·
Registered
720 Posts
It has been a Honda thing for years:

1999 CRV
2005 Pilot

Both did/do it.

Locked the keys in the car once when I set the keys in the back while loading groceries. During the time it took to load the groceries, the car had auto-relocked.(did not notice the re-locking) Shut the tailgate and OOPPS! I was locked out!

I have learned NEVER to set keys inside the car while loading!

TL

·
Registered
130 Posts
SNOWRIDGE & FINS2THERIGHT, you mentioned that you got your post 9/05 build models to unlock all doors in Park. Did you use the same procedure as HOFFFMAN in post# 37 dated 11/3 of this thread stated?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes, I used the same procedure. It didn't work the first few times, but then it did. My truck was manufactured in Canada 09/05. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I used the procedure today and after a couple of tries I got my Ridgeline programed to unlock all doors when I put it in park. I was thrilled!!!!

RidgeInTheVille

·
Registered
218 Posts
dboz said:
It appears Canadian trucks will do this, not US trucks.
Since all these trucks are assembled in Canada I just don't see why they would make features for one and not the other (vis a vie Canada - US). I can see different air quality standards, etc but not a basic item like doors unlocking. It would just add to assembly costs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I bought my RTL a couple days ago (mfg 9/05) and recieved a quick start guide and a Owners manual. The procedures are written slightly differently in each one. In the owners manual it does not tell you to ignore(not count) the imediate click you hear when you first hold down on the unlock button, the quick start guide does. I followed the quick start guide and got it. So if you follow the manual and count that first imediate click, all you are doing is re-programming the driver door unlock feature.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Like I said.....

fins2theright said:
Mine is a September build. I tried to get the Auto un-lock ALL door feature to work the day I bought it, but was unsucessfull. I tried again today, and got it the first time. All doors now unlock when I put the shifter in park.:eek:

I think the problem I was having may be that I wasn't waiting for the '3rd' click. Yes, techincally, you have to wait for 3 clicks. The first of the 3 comes immediately after you press the button. I was counting that as the first, but the manual doesn't count that click.

If in doubt, hold the button for one additional click.

fins

·
Registered
114 Posts
What updates is everybody talking about? I wish mine unlocked all doors when I want to get out!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Spent a good deal of time on this... and ALL doors will not unlock at Park. And that is what my manual states should occur. Drivers does. also I have never experienced the third click >>> Mine must have only come with 2 clicks.:eek:

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I bought my RL in June
The change wasn't made until mid-September production.

61 - 80 of 131 Posts