Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been discussed but I did not see it. My Navi is set to auto. At night it is bright and I have to manually set it to "night" then reset it manually to "day" in the daytime. Shouldn't my navigation detect the daylight and change the display accordingly?

Please let me know ASAP as I would like to schedule service along wiith picking up my plates at the dealer.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
This annoys me about the Nav unit too. When running with lights on during the day for safety, you have to turn the Nav unit back to day mode to see it, and then the first time out at night it's too bright that you have to turn it back to auto or night. My Garmin portable unit has an ambient light sensor and adjusts the daytime brightness until about dusk when it switches to night mode but then still auto adjusts the contrast depending on overall available light.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There is a roller wheel to adjust the intesnity of the dashboard lights. If this is turned to the maximum then the autosensing NAVI screen function won't work. Turn this roller down slightly and I think you'll will find the auto is now working

·
Registered
257 Posts
Todd said:
There is a roller wheel to adjust the intesnity of the dashboard lights. If this is turned to the maximum then the autosensing NAVI screen function won't work. Turn this roller down slightly and I think you'll will find the auto is now working
what he said

·
Registered
39 Posts
I thought this was strange too. I took mine to the dealer. Tech came out tested the system and said it works fine. He said that in auto you have to turn on the headlights and then the display dims, turn off the headlights and the display brightens. Did I feel stupid for not reading the manual first. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have learned that if I am to continue "DRL" - daytime running lights; I have to manually dim and brighten the dash/nav screen.

With the Nav set to auto (this only brightens/dims the screen as you operate the headlight switch); I turn the lights on and adjust the display panel lights to max (that rolling switch til it clicks) and this will also override the panel and nav screen dimming. For night use I de-activate the display panel switch (unclick the switch). I am resigned to turning off and on the headlight switch at start and end of each drive as the warning beeper is very annoying.

This is one thing my Garmin 2610 navigator did better than the Ridge Nav. The 2610 knew (was programmed with) sunrise and sunset data and would dim and brighten the screen year round at sunrise and sunset !

·
Registered
67 Posts
You have to set the NAV in auto, but it does not detect if its light or dark outside. It looks at the position of your headlight switch. If your headlights are on, the screen should go dark. If you shut the lights off, the screen will get bright. During the day if you need your headlights on the NAV will also dim, if you want it brighter, adjust it with the roller wheel on the dash. It actually makes perfect sense. Good engineering HONDA!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks but dissapointed. You would think the auto would have a sensor and would adjust to a comfortable lighting. I don't think I should have to worry about the position of the dimmer switch. Also, since my LEG TURNS THE HEADLIGHTS ON ALL THE TIME I assume (yes the ass-u-me assume) that it will be annoying for a while to come.

BTW, I really love this truck......most of it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts