Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
I dont think there are many options for this kind of thing. I can tell you that DEI makes pretty good stuff though. If you are any good with wiring you should be ok. Unless the Ridgeline presents some unusual wiring setup for the lights (which I doubt).

I installed alarms and remote starts for 11 years (1994-2005). I'd have an easier time than most doing this. But the average gearhead should be able to do it if they are patient. Don't be afraid to ask questions. I'll try to help if you get stuck.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Here check out this diagram I made. I make no guarantees as to its accuracy because I am on my 2nd Crown & Coke. :act024:

Sorry about the size. Not sure what happened there. Its 1000 pixels wide on my screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
Intercept to me sounds like cutting off. You still want the original circuit path to remain intact.

You want to tap into the wires, not cut them. So you basically strip back some of the insulation, wrap the 545T wire around the Honda wire and solder it into place. Then insulate the connection with electrical tape.

You don't HAVE to use solder. You can use T-Taps or some other method. I only use soldering for connections in my vehicles because it is the most reliable.

Here is an example:
http://bolty.net/2010/11/15/how-to-solder-for-motorcycle-tapping-wires/

·
Registered
586 Posts
FYI this is the electrical tape I use. It's the good stuff in my opinion.

3M Super 33+

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100073402#.UUzIu_q9LCQ

If you go to buy some be sure it's Super 33 not Super 66. Super 33 is thinner, stretchier, easier to wrap for a tighter fit and stays in place better.

·
Registered
586 Posts
OK, I installed the 545T today. It works pretty well.

I mounted the photocell behind the driver side tweeter grill. I plan on installing aftermarket speakers and will put the tweeters in the little sail panels. So for now, I'm missing the left tweeter.

Mounting the photocell behind the tweeter grille makes for a clean install, but I think it affects the photocell's ability to sense sunlight. So in overcast conditions, the headlights are on. That is actually ok with me. But later on, I may try relocating the photocell. I have a couple of different ideas how I want to do it.

Anyhow, I took a few photos along the way of the wire locations to help others that may want to tackle this job later on.

I did take pictures of how to remove the dashboard panels, but I will assume for this post, that everyone knows how to do that part. If anyone whats some pointers on that, let me know I can post those as well.

The headlight switch plug is green. The parking lamp wire is blue. The headlamp wire is blue with a red stripe:

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
The wiper switch wire is located in a white 34 pin plug. It is the center plug of 3 plugs that are located to the left of the brake pedal. The color is green with a white stripe:

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
For the grounds, I crimped them into a ring terminal and then soldered them to the terminal for a solid connection. I then used this existing 10mm grounding bolt located on the driver side end of the dashboard.

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
A closer look at how I mounted the photocell. I removed the tweeter. Then cut out some foam pieces the same size as the tweeter (only ended up needing one foam piece). I stuck the photocell onto the foam.

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
I screwed the unit into a piece of wood on my workbench to arrange the wiring before installing it into the truck.

Looking at the picture, you can see that the heavy gauge purple and brown wires, as well as the thin black wire are all routed together. They are crimped and soldered to the grounding ring terminal.

The heavy gauge blue and green wires will run to the headlamp switch, so they are routed together.

The yellow and red wires will head to the ignition plug at the fuse box, so they are routed together.

The lonely green wire runs by itself to the white plug next to the brake pedal.

As you can see, I wrapped all of the wires in electrical tape. It reduces the potential for rattles. Reduces the potential for wires being chafed on metal parts under the dashboard. Also it makes for a clean looking install. Not that anyone other than me will see it, but I'm somewhat meticulous about my work.

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
For mounting and stashing the module and the relay pack, there is plenty of room behind the dashboard. Just to the left of the steering column, there is a big metal bracket where you can mount everything.

The view here is looking through the opening in the dashboard just above the parking brake handle, looking up towards the steering column. (sorry for the blurry picture)

Attachments

21 - 40 of 46 Posts