Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe this isn't news to anyone else;

when i went to the local hardware chain for the better half, i forgot the tag for the color of paint she wanted mixed. to my surprise when i turned around i'd forgotten to turn off headlights.(i thought the warning chime was for the open back window) suddenly the lights shut off by themselves. upon entering the RL the headlight switch was still on.

perhaps i'm slow on the up take, but i thought that a good idea.

did anyone else find this out? or did i just miss something? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice little feature. Eh! (Sorry, I'm Canadian :rolleyes: ...Oops! Sorry about the "Sorry" Another Canadianism :D )

My Honda dealer pointed this feature out to me and even suggested I leave the headlights on all the time. That way I'll never forget to turn them on. Haven't adopted his suggestion though.

For my American daytime-running-lights-deprived cousins, this idea would work for you as a substitute.

Here in Canada, the mandatory DRLs have a downside. You see vehicles on the road driving at night with just their DRLs, which means NO TAILLIGHTS!!!
Very annoying and dangerous.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I discovered very early on that they did and was going to use them as DRL, but hate the ringing in my ears when you open the door.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
85 bulldog said:

when i went to the local hardware chain for the better half, i forgot the tag for the color of paint she wanted mixed. to my surprise when i turned around i'd forgotten to turn off headlights.(i thought the warning chime was for the open back window) suddenly the lights shut off by themselves. upon entering the RL the headlight switch was still on.

You just missed something. When you exit your RL with the lights on, you'll get the soft chiming of a bell. After you close the door, the lights soon go out. As soon as you re-enter your truck, the lights come back on and your up, up, and away!

·
Registered
511 Posts
On a related note, does the RL have a sort of auto battery shut off? My 99 Silverado had a feature that monitored battery power. If you left something on or pluged in, it would cut the electrical system when the battery was getting low so you'd always have enough juice to start it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I experience this first hand this evening. I left my lights on to see what happened. By the time I got 30 ft away the lights went off. When I returned to the vehicle I clicked the open button on my key. The lights came on for about 10 second again. Nice feature that in my 3.5 months of ownership I never knew about. ;)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Ruffles said:
On a related note, does the RL have a sort of auto battery shut off? My 99 Silverado had a feature that monitored battery power. If you left something on or pluged in, it would cut the electrical system when the battery was getting low so you'd always have enough juice to start it.
No, because the cig lighter switch is connected to the ignition. When you turn the truck off, the power is off.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I don't know if these was by design on not, but my lights do not shut off automatically UNLESS I lock the doors. I did this just last evening, and needing to go up to the truck to get out some tools, the headlights were still on. This was after dinner, so they had been on for a good hour at least.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I don't know if these was by design on not, but my lights do not shut off automatically UNLESS I lock the doors.
I tried that today and my lights still went out after 30 seconds. Strange. Was your door ajar, maybe?

·
Registered
7 Posts
According to the owners manual, "if you remove the key from the ignition switch with the headlights control dial on but do not open the door, "the lights will remain on for 10 minutes. I use the auto off feature all the time, if only I could fiquire out how to remove the irritating dinging feature..

·
Registered
424 Posts
That would be the difference. If you don't remove the key, which I didn't, they will stay on forever apparently (well, until the battery dies, that is).

·
Registered
484 Posts
Redline said:
According to the owners manual, "if you remove the key from the ignition switch with the headlights control dial on but do not open the door, "the lights will remain on for 10 minutes. I use the auto off feature all the time, if only I could fiquire out how to remove the irritating dinging feature..
The first thing we did on our new ambulances when I worked for a private ambulance company was disconnect the chime (we had the doors open all the time with the keys always in and the lights usually on).

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
85 bulldog said:

Bulldog, I learned the same thing the other night. I forgot to turn off my lights when I got out of the truck. I locked the truck with the Key fob but lights were still on.................about 20 seconds later.............they turned off automatically. When I came back open the door.........the chime was on that might lights were left on. Cool Huh?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Nice little feature. Eh! (Sorry, I'm Canadian :rolleyes: ...Oops! Sorry about the "Sorry" Another Canadianism :D )

My Honda dealer pointed this feature out to me and even suggested I leave the headlights on all the time. That way I'll never forget to turn them on. Haven't adopted his suggestion though.

For my American daytime-running-lights-deprived cousins, this idea would work for you as a substitute.

Here in Canada, the mandatory DRLs have a downside. You see vehicles on the road driving at night with just their DRLs, which means NO TAILLIGHTS!!!
Very annoying and dangerous.
Driving a Ridgeline in Oakville? Ford Central?
I live close to Alliston, so no problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts