Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received a sampler pack of auto products from a new company named Green Earth Technologies. I figured that these were "doesn't do anything but make you feel good" products, so I put them on a garage shelf, and forgot about them.
I ran out of RainX a few weeks back, and remembered that one of the samples was a rain repellent for glass (and plexy), so I tried it, and it seems to work as well as RainX, but is much easier to remove the haze. This made me take a second look at the other products. So far I've tried the tire treatment, the car wash, and the wheel cleaner. The car wash is as good as any I've tried; The tire treatment works well (not as good as Scientific 303 though), and the wheel cleaner cleaned the wheels, but I never used a dedicated wheel cleaner, so I can't compare.
Since all these products are cost wise competitive, and are very earth friendly, I thought I'd start a thread and see if others have used these products.
They also came out with a biodegradable motor oil. Ain't technology great!
Their web site is: http://www.getg.com/index.php

·
Super Moderator
5,332 Posts
Not sure about the products, but I would certainly steer clear of their stock. Looks pretty scary, seeing as they are listed in the pinksheets for 50 cents a share. Of course in reality, GM is not much better off.

Looked for some freebies, but did not see them. Thank you for the information. Seems to be available in a good number of retail outlets.

Always looking for ways to keep my Dark Cherry Pearl RL clean.:)

Brad

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Yeah I will have to take a look at these. I am always looking to use new things.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for the link, always looking for ways to help save the environment.... not so sure about the motor oil tho, I think I'll let someone else test it out ;)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I would definitly agree on the motor oil part.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know much about stocks, at least from what my 401k has done (or should I say 101k), but if the products are cost and performance competitive, they do have an advantage from an earth-impact perspective.
I am also hesitant to try the oil, especially in either my CRV or Ridge, but I might risk an old lawnmower...

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is a lot of so-called enviromental & green products claiming to be better for the enviroment..but..if they are not certified green by ecp in Canada or Green Seal in the us your buying a lie. There is no certification for over the counter retail products so they can call it & make all the artificial claims they want. any good retail green product will be certified by one of the above companies.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are a couple of non-profit companies which certify products as green, and more will most likely join, as the job of setting standards and evaluating products will be a large one indeed.
According to Greenseal.org, they are still setting standards for many products, so it will take time to set the standards, accept applications, evaluate products, and issue findings. In the mean time, many companies will likely market "green" products which will eventually be withdrawn from the market. Home depot is coming out with dozens of new green products.
By the way, Greenguard is the only "green certification" company approved by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).
The Green Earth Technologies oil is API approved, and claims to be biodegradable. Is this better for the environment than motor oil from crude?
It always boils down to "Caveat Emptor".

·
Registered
66 Posts
A 1964 Buick is biodegradeable. That is a very misleading term. Any green certification organizations use the standard of rapid biodegradable..which is fully gone in 30 days or less. I have worked as a rep for a chemical manufacturing company for 25 years that specializes in green certified chemicals.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Swishguy, since you have experience and contacts with knowledge in chemistry, possible you could evaluate the literature on their web site, and give people a bit of help.
I started this thread because those products which I've tried work well, and if they are, as claimed, much better for the environment, and cost is competitive, why not use them.
If you know similar products which are certified, please send info.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here is a website to evaluate the toxicity of the ingerdiants of any chemical. You need to find what they use to make the product & a msds will provide this. Just plug in the name of the chemical ingrediant or it,s cas # & you will get a full report on the hazards of that specific ingrediant.

http://www.scorecard.org/chemical-profiles/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts