Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

221 - 240 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Today I saw on the You Tube channel "TFL Truck" that the Ridgeline sales for 2019 were up 9% (y) They're still second to last in the mid sized market only beating out the GMC Canyon.
The thing people need to understand about the USDM, is most buy vehicles for image or emotion, or some other imaginary deal. Few buy for function. So anything like the Ridgeline, built to drive and use in reality based situations, is never gonna be the front runner when it comes to sales. If someone makes the most off-road looking mid size hardcore, wannabe 4x4 looking deal, it would be all over the road and be the #1 seller in the segment. Whether it could actually do the hard off-road work would be irrelevant. Only thing that would matter is the looks of the thing.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The thing people need to understand about the USDM, is most buy vehicles for image or emotion, or some other imaginary deal. Few buy for function. So anything like the Ridgeline, built to drive and use in reality based situations, is never gonna be the front runner when it comes to sales. If someone makes the most off-road looking mid size hardcore, wannabe 4x4 looking deal, it would be all over the road and be the #1 seller in the segment. Whether it could actually do the hard off-road work would be irrelevant. Only thing that would matter is the looks of the thing.
I guess one brilliant segment of the market consists of naturally good looking people who secure enough not to give a sh*t who likes their trucks....though they do enjoy discussing them with each other, lol.

·
Premium Member
4,019 Posts
I think the Colorado was #3 on the list. (Not Sure) Gee combining the two GM mid sized trucks would make the RL last on the list. (Bummer) I was not surprised that the Tacoma was #1 but I was surprised that it sold more than five times the RL. WoW! I drove the Tacoma and had I bought it I would have hated it before I back home.
Well, the Ridgeline did outsell the Titan...

·
Registered
293 Posts
That's why they sell so many Taco's. Good off road capability and it's sexy. The RL is ok for light to medium off road but sexy? Uuugh... :rolleyes: It's like a 40 years of married. Not sexy but functional.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I guess one brilliant segment of the market consists of naturally good looking people who secure enough not to give a sh*t who likes their trucks....though they do enjoy discussing them with each other, lol.
We resemble that remark! :D

In Texas, where trucks rule over the sometimes-harsh terrain, we'd see Ridgelines among professionals who drive for a living, especially maybe real estate salespeople. The ride of a sedan but the storage of a truck. And of course women have always liked it. And I like women, so... G1s rule!

·
Administrator
15,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
We resemble that remark! :D

In Texas, where trucks rule over the sometimes-harsh terrain, we'd see Ridgelines among professionals who drive for a living, especially maybe real estate salespeople. The ride of a sedan but the storage of a truck. And of course women have always liked it. And I like women, so... G1s rule!
Of the three Ridgeline owners in my social circle, one is an engineer, one is a realtor, and one is a retired professional. The others who own trucks are a purchasing agent who has no need for a truck, a farm owner who has a legitimate need for a more capable vehicle than the Ridgeline, and a warehouse supervisor who really doesn't need a truck, either. Most everybody else has assorted SUV's and sedans.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,199 Posts
Of the three Ridgeline owners in my social circle, one is an engineer, one is a realtor, and one is a retired professional. The others who own trucks are a purchasing agent who has no need for a truck, a farm owner who has a legitimate need for a more capable vehicle than the Ridgeline, and a warehouse supervisor who really doesn't need a truck, either. Most everybody else has assorted SUV's and sedans.
Honda Ridgeline. . . The best truck for people who don't really need a truck:)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Honda Ridgeline. . . The best truck for people who don't really need a truck:)
I'm guessing that if only those who actually needed a truck bought one, truck sales would be dismal at best. Same goes for SUV's. If everybody purchased what they actually needed Honda fit would be Honda's biggest selling vehicle.

·
Registered
126 Posts
All they have to do it make the front end boxier and more aggressive and I think it would be great looking and sell way more. I love driving my Ridgeline, hauling my dirtbike with it, and how it looks from the back. I miss the front end of my Ram, and that’s it. It can’t cost that much to refresh the front end...

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,199 Posts
My guess is that a decent % of non-RL truck owners don't "need" one either :)
Agreed and that is half of my point . . .With other trucks you are often stuck with a large gas guzzling behemoth that handles poorly is a bitch to park and won't fit in your garage. Either that or a rockcrawler with a sit of the floor seating position. At least with the Ridgeline you are making much less compromise for the truck you really don't need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On what facts are basing your opinion that G2 is “much better” than G1? The relative sales figures and owner complaints certainly don’t support that notion.
looked to replace my 06 RT with 19 RTL Disappointed after test driving the 2019 RTL - didn't like the green (looks grey), no blind spot detection, no apple play, small monitor / radio screen, no big armrest, tiny skinny ones reminiscent on my 97 CRV.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
looked to replace my 06 RT with 19 RTL Disappointed after test driving the 2019 RTL - didn't like the green (looks grey), no blind spot detection, no apple play, small monitor / radio screen, no big armrest, tiny skinny ones reminiscent on my 97 CRV.
Sounds like you need to look at a 2019 T or E, which have the safety features like lane assist and BSM as well as an 8# infotainment screen with Apple Carplay….or any 2020 trim level, as Honda added those features to all of them. And of course check out a different color. My obsidian blue pearl, for example, is stunning.

·
Registered
564 Posts

Not sure how you could be disappointed going from and 06 to a 2019 Ridgeline model. Maybe you not considering or including the safety aspect

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sounds to me like you're not really ready to part with your 06. (Understandable. Been There....):rolleyes:

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
493 Posts
People keep talking about how secure they are in their masculinity and that a vehicle is about function not looks blah blah blah. Imagine you're on a dating site (or sitting in a bar). There are only two woman in the room:

Rosanne Bar ($$$, comedy and supposedly she's a great cook)
Aidra Fox ($$$ and well, you know)

They're both smiling and looking at you with that twinkle in their eye. Pick one :p

It's the same with a vehicle. There are some who will choose the Rosanne Bar of vehicles and couldn't care less about the looks they get from passers by. But most guys (and some woman) would rather be seen with Aidra Fox!

·
Registered
293 Posts
People keep talking about how secure they are in their masculinity and that a vehicle is about function not looks blah blah blah. Imagine you're on a dating site (or sitting in a bar). There are only two woman in the room:

Rosanne Bar ($$$, comedy and supposedly she's a great cook)
Aidra Fox ($$$ and well, you know)

They're both smiling and looking at you with that twinkle in their eye. Pick one :p

It's the same with a vehicle. There are some who will choose the Rosanne Bar of vehicles and couldn't care less about the looks they get from passers by. But most guys (and some woman) would rather be seen with Aidra Fox!
I got dibs on Rosanne. Unless she's really not a good cook. :) Could you have her bring along a picture of when she was 18?

221 - 240 of 293 Posts