Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been using the automatic headlight (set to auto) since day one I got my RL, it has been working perfectly. However, couple days ago when I was in a pitch dark parking lot and I started my truck, the auto headlight didn't even turn on the low beam, it only had the daytime running lights on. I was wondering why.... I re-started the engine, same. So I drove to the road and at some point, headlight turned on automatically again. After I got back home, I pulled out the PDF manual and on page 145, it said "We recommend that you turn on the lights manually when driving at night, in a dense fog or in dark areas such as long tunnels or parking facilities.".

I still don't understand why, can anyone explain this? If it is pitch dark (or dark enough), why wouldn't it turn the headlight on automatically? Have you guys experienced the same?

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
You can adjust the auto light sensitivity, (customized features page 303) as it states in the left hand portion of your attachment ... :wink:

·
Registered
461 Posts
The recommendation of not using anything automatic on vehicles is simply a cover my ass in case it auto feature fails. That being said, what you experienced seems to be a glitch as it should turn on and off by itself.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right, it 5 settings "Max, High, Mid (default), Low and Min" for auto light sensitivity. But if the truck is in pitch dark, either "Max" or "Min" should trigger the headlight automatically, I still don't quite understand. Since the manual suggested we should manually turn on the light in long tunnel or parking facilities, so Honda knows that the light sensor can be fooled. I doubt any of these 5 settings will make any difference, I will have to do some test to see if this is reproducible. I am still confused :p

·
Registered
471 Posts
When light control is on AUTO setting and it is dark with no oncoming traffic do your high beams illuminate?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a similar problem with the auto high beams. They stopped coming on automatically. I reset them to be "auto on" and they have worked fine since. Somehow I must have turned this feature off accidentally or it was just a glitch. At any rate re-activate this feature and see if it fixes the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts