Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
101 - 120 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
The title reminds me of a 1958 Cadillac limousine that a friend and I used to have back in our earlier days, where one of the options was automatic headlight dimming, it too would dim the headlights every sign that we passed.

Bill

·
Registered
27 Posts
Your lights are set on "Auto". You can adjust the switch and should go manual. Your guide should describe this to you.

I've actually left them in Auto for the full year I've had them, and I only had one issue with the high beams turning on in a heavy fog. Went manual then, but otherwise things have been good.
I’ve had this feature on my Ridgeline for one day, but on my odyssey for two years. Literally last night, the first day of ownership I was coming down the ski hill in the fog, and yes, of course there highbeams kept coming on in the fog. Other than that I found them to be very accurate and considerate of other drivers.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I’ve had this feature on my Ridgeline for one day, but on my odyssey for two years. Literally last night, the first day of ownership I was coming down the ski hill in the fog, and yes, of course there highbeams kept coming on in the fog. Other than that I found them to be very accurate and considerate of other drivers.
Actually, after I wrote this I went through fog on the Texas coase, and I experienced the same thing.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Hate this feature and am unable to turn the auto high beam off no matter what I try. No matter how long I hold the lever back I get one blink at around 30 seconds.

·
Administrator
23,087 Posts
I can confirm that the automatic high beam feature is not only useless, but actually dangerous at times in my 2021 RTL-E. The feature worked acceptably well in my 2017 and 2019 Ridgelines which used a dedicated camera for the function. For the 2020 model year, Honda eliminated this camera and moved the function into the multi-purpose "Honda Sensing" camera that is used for other functions such as lane-keeping assist.

I find that the automatic high beams on my 2021 rarely activate and when they do, they dim almost immediately after seeing their own reflection even on tiny road markers. Occasionally, they'll activate or flash oncoming traffic. How the performance of this feature in the 2020-2021 models made it through development and testing I have no idea. I intend to file a complaint with NHTSA and encourage others to do so the same in hopes that Honda will fix this problem.

If you have a 2020-2021 Ridgeline and find the automatic high beam operation to be unsafe, I encourage you to file a complaint with NHTSA. It only takes a few minutes and if there are enough complaints, an investigation will be opened and a possible remedy issued.

I have reached out to IIHS for clarification on whether or not they actually test the automatic high beam feature or simply add the high-beam assist credit on models so equipped without regard to how it functions. I suspect it's an "automatic" credit and they don't actually validate the functionality of the feature. If so, they should test the automatic high beams and remove this credit from the 2020-2021 Ridgeline since it's practically useless.

·
Registered
151 Posts
zroger73,

I have been away for a while here.
And this may not be the place, but I noticed you have a 2021 now?
If there is a discussion about this somewhere feel free to direct me to that conversation.
Just interested in you coming back to the fold and why.

·
Administrator
23,087 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts

Thanks.

309 posts on that thread.

I don't have that much time! LOL

·
Administrator
23,087 Posts
I have reached out to IIHS for clarification on whether or not they actually test the automatic high beam feature or simply add the high-beam assist credit on models so equipped without regard to how it functions. I suspect it's an "automatic" credit and they don't actually validate the functionality of the feature.
I received the following reply from the IIHS:

"You are correct, our high beam assist credit is based on the presence of the feature. We know that drivers don’t use their high beams enough, so we wanted to give credit for the feature in our testing. As we get more vehicles [that] are equipped with high beam assist, we may look into how well they function..."

I challenged their team to actually test the automatic high beam feature in a 2020-2021 Ridgeline. I'm confident it will be eye-opening for them and should shape future testing methodology and ratings.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E
5 Posts
I can confirm that the automatic high beam feature is not only useless, but actually dangerous at times in my 2021 RTL-E.

If you have a 2020-2021 Ridgeline and find the automatic high beam operation to be unsafe, I encourage you to file a complaint with NHTSA. It only takes a few minutes and if there are enough complaints, an investigation will be opened and a possible remedy issued.

thanks for the link Z, I have filed a complaint

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTLE
3 Posts
I just bought the 2021 Ridgeline. The auto high beam is pretty much useless. In the 2017 the auto high beams worked flawlessly and went on at 25 mph and higher. Now you have to go 45 mph or faster. That is mostly useless since even country roads are 40mph. Honda really screwed this up. Should have left the software alone instead of making it useless.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
One of the first things I did to my 2021 RL is turn off the “auto” headlight function. Never like it and never seen it work properly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 2019 and I like the auto high beams. For some reason, it randomly turns itself off. I understand how to turn it on and off. I have not done anything to turn it off and headlights are always set to auto. Yesterday was the 3rd time I was driving at night and the auto high beam failed to work. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Administrator
23,087 Posts
I see this complaint most often when drivers "flash" their headlights an odd number of times. Let's say you're driving down the road while the auto high beams feature is on. Now, let's say you flashed your high beams for some reason by pulling the lever toward you. Every time you pull the lever, the automatic high beam feature will toggle off and on. If flash once and it's on, it'll turn off.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Modern Steel over Grey
1 Posts
Hi all,
I have a 2021 RTL-E. I was not aware that it has auto-dimming high beams. The feature is always on when the lights are set to auto. Ok, I thought, but the feature/sensor is very easily confused, leading to the high beams not coming on at times when they should and staying on at times with oncoming traffic. Anyone else experiencing this? Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My two cents... I have the '21 Black Edition, 6000 miles so far. I will have to agree that the auto high beam feature is terrible as well as the wireless charging. The infotainment interface is outdated, but I knew that when I bought it. As for leaks, I haven't had any to my knowledge. I'll keep an eye out this winter.

This is the first Honda I have owned since college (owned 5 to date) so I can't rate the perceived decline in quality. What I can say is that it has met my expectations so far and the ride is much better than any other truck I've been in. My other owned brands are Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Infinity, Range Rover and Hyundai. The Hyundai have been for my kids and my mom. I have purchased 9 Hyundai ( Elantra's, Tascons, and Santa Fes) in the past 10 years. All have performed flawlessly. One Elantra had an engine recall and was replaced with 95K miles. NO CHARGE. All still going strong, all over 100K miles. This is with them going from high school through college and into a young family situation.

I have had the most issues, problems, and expenses with Mercedes, and Infinity would be 2nd worst. The least number of problems with Lexus. I would say that I was lucky with BMW because I had no issues at all, but I know many friends that had never-ending problems with their BMWs. I sold mine at 34K so I was lucky.

I am incredibly happy with the Ridgeline and have no problem parking it next to my convertible Mercedes. Yes, I keep buying Mercedes, I'm a glutton for punishment. I will never buy Infinity or Nissan again.

I thought I was the only one that hated the auto high beams, our honda pilot ones are so much better, other than that I love the truck!

101 - 120 of 163 Posts