Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a restart of an old thread. There are so many more members since the last time I asked this question. I need a AUX adapter to allow any audio connection to the stock stereo. It must be possible to manufacturer. Honda makes an OEM DVD and MP3 player that has the circuitry to connect to the stock stereo. I want to connect my Pocket PC/Phone/MP3/navigation system. I have tried to use two different FM modulators with very poor audio quality. Any ideas or new adapter product out there?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Which FM Mods suck?

Which FM Mods are you using? I am looking at a Delphi unit that goes inside the dash and hooks to/replaces the antenna line in. So, in other words, when you turn this unit on, it outputs an FM signal directly on the antenna wire and you can wire the otherside to the aux input you wish.

I've been disapointed in the little iRock unit I've used from time to time and haven't wanted to spend a boatload on the Navigation system in the RL and then not use it.

My stereo fellow says that the delphi unit is actually the XM fm mod that XM sells to people who don't have an aux input on thier factory decks when they buy an XM radio. If this is the case, I have this unit overpower the irock I was using from some other car in moving traffic. It outputs that strongly... so I'm thinking about that rather than hacking the XM input I do have (with the XM unit in the back.)

Anyone have opinions on this process?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Which Skyfi do you have?

There are several ways to get an AUX (RCA's) to the Honda Radio:
(list from best sound quality to worst)

1. AUX adapter that converts the 14 pin blue cable on the back of the Honda radio to RCA's

2. Direct wired FM Modulation (intercepts the antenna wire)

3. Wireless FM Modulation (prone to interference of other radio stations)

The Skyfi 2 / Roady 2 / Myfi has wireless modulation built into the unit.

What method to pick?

It ALL depends on how picky your ear is and how much $$ you are willing to spend....

I am looking into the best AUX unit to buy for option #1 above....

TL

·
Registered
35 Posts
Our RL does have XM already and we may keep it, haven't decided. If we do, then we need a 2-way switch for the 14pin bus thing so we can intercept the signals and re-route them to the switcher and/or feed the other input in.

If we don't keep XM, that seems like a pretty straightforward thing, no switcher needed even. Failing that, the built-in FM mod will have pretty darn good sound as the one I heard while driving in traffic sounded perfect - the only reason I know it was an XM mod is that it was playing an XM commercial at the time.

·
Registered
237 Posts
AUX adapter that converts the 14 pin blue cable on the back of the Honda radio to RCA's..........

Anyone know where this is available? Also are there instructions anywhere on how to disassemble to get the head unit out? I've searched for over an hour to no avail... I don't have Navi but have an RTL with CD/AM/FM/XM and am looking to take the output from the HU and bring it to the power amp.

Looking at my options from what I've purchased I may leave the stock cabling for the speakers intact and run new cables to support the new speaker system which are Morel DOTECH MKII's and Morel SILK Tweeters, may add Morel Midranges in the rear later in the year and am giving some serious thought to mounting things behind the rear seats as mugen did but it's the wrong time of year here being winter albeit a very mild one thus far.

Still haven't figured out what subwoofer to get and a bit confused as to if I can run the speakers and the sub off the same amp or if I have to have each on separate amps! :eek: Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks......

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Looking at my options from what I've purchased I may leave the stock cabling for the speakers intact and run new cables to support the new speaker system which are Morel DOTECH MKII's and Morel SILK Tweeters, may add Morel Midranges in the rear later in the year and am giving some serious thought to mounting things behind the rear seats as mugen did but it's the wrong time of year here being winter albeit a very mild one thus far.

Still haven't figured out what subwoofer to get and a bit confused as to if I can run the speakers and the sub off the same amp or if I have to have each on separate amps! Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks......
It is possible to run the sub and speakers off the same amp but not adviced for several reasons:

1. You'd need a passive high pass for the speakers and a passive low pass for the subwoofer. The low frequency crossover (say 80 hz) would require large coils and capacitors which are expensive.
2. adjusting the relative loudness of the subwoofer is difficult

The factory RTL Head unit has a subwoofer speaker out. You should use that for the subwoofer with a new amp. Many amps accept speaker level and line level inputs.

It sounds like you plan to use the Morels with the factory amplification. I think you'll be disappointed. The Morel is probably a high resolution speaker and will expose the weaknesses of the head unit amps. I think you should use an amp, once again one that accepts speaker level inputs, to power the Morels.

An alternative is to buy a 4 channel amp, like a 4x50w unit. Many of these can be configured as a 3 channel amp - 2x50W and 1x100W. Many also have built in crossovers so you can filter (remove) the lowest frequencies from the Morels.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well, I bought a 2 channel and was planning on driving the Morels and tweeters on that, maybe that's all I'll do for now and the crossovers that came with them will handle the hu's output, if it's not run parallel to the speakers. This way the hu will just drive the OEM sub until I figure out my next move, still not a bad plan really, thanks........

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I'm confused by what you said. You have a new 2 channel amp. Good. The way you should use it:

- connect the HU's front speaker outputs to the new amp (I assume it accepts speaker level inputs)
- new amp outputs go to the Morel crossover, which divides the frequencies between the Morel woofer and tweeter

You're done for the front with this and you should have very good sound. The HU continues to power the rear door speakers and the subwoofer.

A possible improvement - if your new amp has a crossover in it - you could use it to remove very low bass from the Morels. It might relieve them of some work and remove the overlap between them and the sub.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes, it will accept what you said, also has crossovers as well, this is what my original plans were, I got confused when I saw the amp has outputs for both speaker and subwoofer and rather than make stupid and costly errors I thought I'd ask for clarification which you so well did and how I will proceed, this gives me time to see if I'll do anything with the subwoofer, thanks greatly. :)

hofffam said:
I'm confused by what you said. You have a new 2 channel amp. Good. The way you should use it:

- connect the HU's front speaker outputs to the new amp (I assume it accepts speaker level inputs)
- new amp outputs go to the Morel crossover, which divides the frequencies between the Morel woofer and tweeter

You're done for the front with this and you should have very good sound. The HU continues to power the rear door speakers and the subwoofer.

A possible improvement - if your new amp has a crossover in it - you could use it to remove very low bass from the Morels. It might relieve them of some work and remove the overlap between them and the sub.

·
Registered
79 Posts
To get back to the original question, are there any RTL connection devices that work well? (I'm looking for iPod connectivity.)

• The Honda Ipod adapter looks like a bust.
  • The harmon karden Drive + Play unit with a fob looks good, but no one has tried the direct (wired) FM link yet and there are some negative comments about it.
  • The 14 pin adapter devices at Logjam may work, but they refuse to say if they do or not (I emailed them months ago and they said "dunno" and their site still has no information about those new-fangled Ridgelines - only 10 months old now).
Anybody got something that works ?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Mugen1 - I know it is possible to build a passive subwoofer crossover, but relative to crossovers at higher frequencies the coils and capacitors have higher values and cost more. Parts Express sells a pre-built for about $35. Not a ton of money but it uses cheap electrolytic capacitors. That crossover is only 6db/octave high pass too. Passive subwoofer crossovers are easiest with dual voice coils so you don't have to try to sum L+R. I agree that designing passive crossovers on you own requires some skill - made easier with design software.

A question for you - since your own installation shows great skill. I want to put tweeters in the door "front corner." I know those plastic pieces come off easily and I can mount tweeters there. I want to build a decent looking "wedge" for the left one that aims the tweeter more towards me. I can build one out of wood (a natural material for me to work with) but I'm thinking of trying to mold something. Any good links to show me how to do that?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also would like to have an aux. input for my Sirius PnP. I am confused as to which solution (if any) would work for me. I have the RTL without navi. I understand there are 4 different stock head units available for a US market Ridgeline. They are:

RT - Am/Fm, single disk player, Xm available with dealer installed tuner, double DIN size. Xm and aux. share the same source select button.

RTS - Am/Fm, 6 disk player, Xm available with dealer installed tuner, double DIN size. Xm and aux. share the same source select button.

RTL w/o Navi - Am/Fm, 6 disk player, Xm factory installed, double DIN size. CD and aux. share the same source select button. This is what I have.

RTL w/ Navi - Am/Fm, 6 disk player, Xm factory installed, single DINsize with some functions shared with navi unit. Aux. has its own source select button. An aux. input sits in a cubby hole above the glovebox.

Many people with the 3 non-navi radios want the same kind of aux. input that the navi radio has. My question is, do we 3 different solutions for these 3 different radios? Also, would Xm or CD funtions be lost, or just the inability to use the dealer installed MP3 player?

·
Registered
237 Posts
mugen1,
Great LINKS!!! I got some saved already. Thanks everyone for their input. :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
NotAnAshTray,

I have the RTL w/o NAv and w/XM like you. I don't have an Ipod though.

My solution is to install a wired FM Modulator but as I mentioned in another thread (http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4289), the radio does not have the standard auto antenna cables. I found a solution, though, and it is an adapter cable that plugs into the existing antenna cable.

The only thing I still have to figure out is how to get power to the modulator. I think I have an idea, and I plan to do the install tomorrow. I will take pics and post my results.

·
Registered
16 Posts
NotAnAshtray said:
I also would like to have an aux. input for my Sirius PnP. I am confused as to which solution (if any) would work for me. I have the RTL without navi. I understand there are 4 different stock head units available for a US market Ridgeline. They are:

RT - Am/Fm, single disk player, Xm available with dealer installed tuner, double DIN size. Xm and aux. share the same source select button.

RTS - Am/Fm, 6 disk player, Xm available with dealer installed tuner, double DIN size. Xm and aux. share the same source select button.

RTL w/o Navi - Am/Fm, 6 disk player, Xm factory installed, double DIN size. CD and aux. share the same source select button. This is what I have.

RTL w/ Navi - Am/Fm, 6 disk player, Xm factory installed, single DINsize with some functions shared with navi unit. Aux. has its own source select button. An aux. input sits in a cubby hole above the glovebox.

Many people with the 3 non-navi radios want the same kind of aux. input that the navi radio has. My question is, do we 3 different solutions for these 3 different radios? Also, would Xm or CD funtions be lost, or just the inability to use the dealer installed MP3 player?
I'm sorry to have posted incorrect information about the 4 different Ridgeline radios. I will try again.

RTS & RTL w/o Moonroof - Am/Fm, 6 disk player, Xm available with dealer installed tuner, double DIN size. Xm and aux. share the same source select button.

RTL w/ Moonroof but w/o Navi - Am/Fm, 6 disk player, Xm factory installed, double DIN size. CD and aux. share the same source select button. This is what I have.

RTL w/ Moonroof & Navi - Am/Fm, 6 disk player, Xm factory installed, single DINsize with some functions shared with navi unit. Aux. has its own source select button. An aux. input sits in a cubby hole above the glovebox.

I saw something interesting on http://www.handa-accessories.com/Ridgeline.html. They are selling a 2 port Bus cable for $15. This allows people with the first two radios (no Sunroof) to use both Xm and the musiclink ipod adapter. It appeares that if you have the radio I have (Sunroof w/o Navi) you do not need this splitter. Anyway, I wonder if we can substitute the musiclink ipod adapter with the snhond3 adapter for the Harmon/Kardon ipod controller or a Sirius PnP unit.

The biggest difference between Xm and Sirius is the music. Xm is for women and Sirius is for men.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Hey there buddy. Are you calling me a woman? XM is GOOD for men tooo :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Featser said:
To get back to the original question, are there any RTL connection devices that work well? (I'm looking for iPod connectivity.)

• The Honda Ipod adapter looks like a bust.
  • The harmon karden Drive + Play unit with a fob looks good, but no one has tried the direct (wired) FM link yet and there are some negative comments about it.
  • The 14 pin adapter devices at Logjam may work, but they refuse to say if they do or not (I emailed them months ago and they said "dunno" and their site still has no information about those new-fangled Ridgelines - only 10 months old now).
Anybody got something that works ?
The unit from soundgate works - installed XM a couple of weeks ago. See details in previous post here.
Pretty sure that the Honda XM radio will only control the Honda XM radio. The factory Honda XM is a box behind the seat - from another post of a serious AV upgrade. http://www.thebaseonline.com/ridgeline/.

I bought a XM roady last month and just got the adapter I ordered to bring the signal into the radio. It's a Soundgate SNHOND3 adapter that lists the 2006 Honda Ridgeline on the package. Here's where I got it from. http://shop.store.yahoo.com/logjam/sounsnhond3.html. The site has not been updated so you won't see it list the Ridgeline. Anyway this gizmo plugs into the back of the radio assuming you don't have a factory XM, navigation, or CD changer already added.

Adding this adapter and the Roady is a christmas project that I have lined up while I take some vacation time. Haven't quite figured out where to mount the Roady yet - may just put it in the center console so I can put it out of site when I need to. I'll have to post some pictures when I'm done.

Here's pictures of the adapter I got today. UPS was delivering about 9 PM and he was really looking tired so I cheered him up with some choclate chip cookies that spouse made for dinner. He was happy. I've taken a picture of the adapter with the plug that goes into the back of the honda radio.

There may be some other adapters out there if you do a web search - I just found this one that another ridgeline owner had found to work.

Good luck.

Not sure why the soundgate people can't read the back of the package to figure out what vehicles the adapter fits. You may have to get some adapters since the input will be 2 RCA (left and right) It's just going to give you audio only to the head unit - not song info.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
NotAnAshtray said:
I'm sorry to have posted incorrect information about the 4 different Ridgeline radios. I will try again.

RTS & RTL w/o Moonroof - Am/Fm, 6 disk player, Xm available with dealer installed tuner, double DIN size. Xm and aux. share the same source select button.

RTL w/ Moonroof but w/o Navi - Am/Fm, 6 disk player, Xm factory installed, double DIN size. CD and aux. share the same source select button. This is what I have.

RTL w/ Moonroof & Navi - Am/Fm, 6 disk player, Xm factory installed, single DINsize with some functions shared with navi unit. Aux. has its own source select button. An aux. input sits in a cubby hole above the glovebox.

I saw something interesting on http://www.handa-accessories.com/Ridgeline.html. They are selling a 2 port Bus cable for $15. This allows people with the first two radios (no Sunroof) to use both Xm and the musiclink ipod adapter. It appeares that if you have the radio I have (Sunroof w/o Navi) you do not need this splitter. Anyway, I wonder if we can substitute the musiclink ipod adapter with the snhond3 adapter for the Harmon/Kardon ipod controller or a Sirius PnP unit.

The biggest difference between Xm and Sirius is the music. Xm is for women and Sirius is for men.
Any info on what works or is needed to add an AUX input for the RTL w/ Moonroof and XM without Navi? This is the radio where the CD button is labeled CD/AUX and the XM button is labeled (((XM))).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Pete said:
Any info on what works or is needed to add an AUX input for the RTL w/ Moonroof and XM without Navi? This is the radio where the CD button is labeled CD/AUX and the XM button is labeled (((XM))).
I am still patiently waiting for the answer to this. I did the wired FM Modulator install as mentioned above (didn't have the digital camera so no install pics as promised - sorry) but I am highly disappointed with the performance. I have to turn the volume all the way up on both the mp3 player and head unit to get sound, and it is extremely distorted as a result.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts