Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question, I would like to move my aux from cubby hole to center console..I have seen extension kits on eBay with both aux and USB.. Will they work for me even though I have no USB yet?? More accessible in center console.. Will the USB be alive to charge phones etc??I have 2006 RTL with navigation..

· Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Stupid question, I would like to move my aux from cubby hole to center console..I have seen extension kits on eBay with both aux and USB.. Will they work for me even though I have no USB yet?? More accessible in center console.. Will the USB be alive to charge phones etc??I have 2006 RTL with navigation..
Not sure if there is a single option to solve for both the current and future, but you could combine these two items. This would accomplish your goal for now and maintain a solution for future use with a new H.U. Then you'd have a spare portable USB power source for other vehicles or travel or...

· Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly what I was looking at, so basically I would have 3.5 plug from factory aux, then plug into new one?? Will the aux be alive all time if I plugged it in like that?

· Premium Member
1,817 Posts
That's exactly what I was looking at, so basically I would have 3.5 plug from factory aux, then plug into new one?? Will the aux be alive all time if I plugged it in like that?
Yep. The new port would function as it does now. Although I'm not well versed in the method used with the factory set up, there would be no change. However the existing AUX port is selected today is how it would be selected with the extension.

· Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just don't wanna keep unplugging cord from factory output

· Premium Member
1,817 Posts
I just don't wanna keep unplugging cord from factory output
Since I dunno if your AUX port "auto engages" when you plug in a device, the bottom line is: whatever happens now will happen when you plug in a device at the end of the extension cord.

Said another way: the presence of an extension cable will not change the way things works right now.

· Administrator
24,829 Posts
Since I dunno if your AUX port "auto engages" when you plug in a device, the bottom line is: whatever happens now will happen when you plug in a device at the end of the extension cord.

Said another way: the presence of an extension cable will not change the way things works right now.
Yes, it will. The factory AUX jack has a built-in contact that tells the radio to change to AUX when something is plugged in. If you connect an extension cable to it, plugging something into the extension cable will have no way of selecting AUX, so you'll have to manually select it.

· Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a extension cable for factory aux outlet to make it longer

· Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,815 Posts

· Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Yes, it will. The factory AUX jack has a built-in contact that tells the radio to change to AUX when something is plugged in. If you connect an extension cable to it, plugging something into the extension cable will have no way of selecting AUX, so you'll have to manually select it.
That was exactly my point. IF the presence of a connection to the existing AUX port "auto engages" routing, that will happen with the extension cable too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.