Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Swung by the dealer yesterday to see what the delivery status was and they told me I had purchased just in time as anything ordered now was not available until late Jan or earl Feb. Dealer has none in stock except for the demo which was the case when I purchased mine 3 weeks ago however at the time Honda had stock, not the case any more. Also told me the Pilot was in a similar situation however the rest of the Honda lineup was no issue. Good news is my truck will be here early next week. Went out yesterday and bought 4 nice winter mags with sensors and 4x Blizzak DM-V2 snow shoes. :grin: Actually may use the stock wheels for winter as honestly they do not look all that great IMHO. Purchased a set of RTX Black Widows like this. BLACK WIDOW - RTXWheels

· Registered
47 Posts
Swung by the dealer yesterday to see what the delivery status was and they told me I had purchased just in time as anything ordered now was not available until late Jan or earl Feb. Dealer has none in stock except for the demo which was the case when I purchased mine 3 weeks ago however at the time Honda had stock, not the case any more. Also told me the Pilot was in a similar situation however the rest of the Honda lineup was no issue. Good news is my truck will be here early next week. Went out yesterday and bought 4 nice winter mags with sensors and 4x Blizzak DM-V2 snow shoes. :grin: Actually may use the stock wheels for winter as honestly they do not look all that great IMHO. Purchased a set of RTX Black Widows like this. BLACK WIDOW - RTXWheels
Well that's not good news.... Hope the supply gets better in early spring.

Those RTX's look nice.... Just purchased a set of wheels and Blizzak's for my wife's TLX because the OEM firestones look like they would be crap in the snow. Now I don't need to worry about her when that white crap happens.

· Premium Member
608 Posts
Was at my dealer last friday helping a young lady buy a new CRV. BS'd with the sales manager and he pointed out that he had just gotten in a Sport; however, every other one he had was gone and pre-sales have been made for most incoming for the next 3 months. He can't get any E models at all. There was a Black T on his showroom floor and he told me that Honda would only let him have it if he signed a contract NOT TO SELL IT and leave it on the showroom floor for a minimum of 12 weeks as they wanted at least one at the dealership that people could see, even if they could not buy it. He pointed out that it would be months, if not longer, before he expected to have any real stock as every one they sell now is out several weeks, or longer, for delivery and they never hit the showroom floor. He also said that dealer trades regarding RL's are basically like hen's teeth....no one wants to trade, at all.

Honda sure has a hit on their hands, at least as far as selling as many RL's as they want to make.....

Just glad I got mine the day they came out....

· Registered
606 Posts
I was actually at my dealer on Tuesday for business and when I was leaving my salesman came over to chat. They currently have a Sport and an RTL and an RTS. He also remarked that for an E or BE forget about it, it'll be till January or later until they get more. But since I have bought my Ridge I have only seen 2 other RL's on the road. If they are selling this fast where are they?

· Premium Member
608 Posts
I was actually at my dealer on Tuesday for business and when I was leaving my salesman came over to chat. They currently have a Sport and an RTL and an RTS. He also remarked that for an E or BE forget about it, it'll be till January or later until they get more. But since I have bought my Ridge I have only seen 2 other RL's on the road. If they are selling this fast where are they?
Agreed....I've only seen two on the road since I bought, and I drive all over LV and PHX metro areas.....and both that I saw were in Flagstaff and I think it was the same silver truck.....so that means I might have only seen one.....

· Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
I've traveled to a lot of different cities this summer and never had a problem finding at least one to stop by at a dealership and drool over (till mine came in). I used carguru.com to locate them usually. Some places had up to 7 of them on their lots. And obviously most had a lot less. But I was able to find pretty much all the colors to at least look at and everyone was willing to go for a test drive in the ones they had.

Steve M

· Registered
328 Posts
Every dealer in Atlanta has 3-8 in stock. I've seen the same VIN's on the lot for 3 months at some of them.

If you're taking a dealer's word about anything then I've got some beachfront property in Arizona to sell you!

Not saying there isn't high demand for the RL, there's truth to it, but please take what a dealer says with a HEAVY dose of skepticism. Even AFTER they've made the sale they're still not able to turn off their BS hose, it just flows and flows, I've seen it sooo many times.

· Administrator
24,832 Posts
Near the launch date, Honda had to base allocation of the G2 mostly on two-year-old G1 sales history. Now that it's been a few months since launch and thousands of G2 Ridgelines have been sold and pre-sold, Honda has a better idea of how to allocate future production. My closest dealer has been selling and receiving a steady stream of Ridgelines (mostly RTS and Sport trims and only one RTL-E since launch). The next-closest dealer in a larger city had none on launch day - they have fewer Ridgelines and they are sitting on the lot much longer.

· Registered
243 Posts
I've been contemplating taking the plunge on an RTL-E and so far, in the last few months, I've see all of 3 come up within 150 miles of me and none any closer. Even if I were about to buy, I'd have a helluva time finding the color combo I want, either Lunar Silver/Black, or White/Ivory. I guess the bright side is that if I do decide to get the RL, by the time one's available near me I'll have had time to save up even more of a down payment LOL. Any maybe, just maybe, I could get a little off MSRP.

· Registered
13 Posts
We were in the market for a truck. Planned to look at the F-150 and Tacoma. A friend suggested that we look at the Ridgeline. Went to a dealer that had all three and drove them back to back to back. The Ridgeline won hands down. We were not thrilled with the price. I have never paid MSRP for a vehicle. We purchased a CR-V from them last year and got a great deal but no deal on the RL. I did some checking and no one was offering deals. Truecar guaranteed that we would pay no more than $165 over MSRP for example. We really liked the truck and the dealer so we bit the bullet and purchased. We usually compromise on color and features if we get a deal but decided we would select the one we wanted since we were paying MSRP. Decided on a blue RTL-T. Sales person said they can usually find one in a few days. I also searched inventory of dealers within a reasonable distance and found 2 in stock. Sales person found the same 2 but said they were both spoken for and we could not have either of those. She was able to get us on a the list for upcoming builds. She said it would be built between 10/15 and 10/19. We could take delivery in early November. Looking forward to taking possession of the truck.

I would also like to say thanks for all the good info here. I have been research accessories (Floor liners, tonneau covers etc) so I can have them in hand when we get the vehicle.

· Registered
550 Posts
Every dealer in Atlanta has 3-8 in stock. I've seen the same VIN's on the lot for 3 months at some of them.

If you're taking a dealer's word about anything then I've got some beachfront property in Arizona to sell you!

Not saying there isn't high demand for the RL, there's truth to it, but please take what a dealer says with a HEAVY dose of skepticism. Even AFTER they've made the sale they're still not able to turn off their BS hose, it just flows and flows, I've seen it sooo many times.

Are they actually physically in stock? I looked at Curry Honda a few months ago because I had a business trip down that way and some of the same VINs are still on the website - some in the 3000 range. With Honda's delivery system it's hard to believe that Honda would continue to send them trucks if they are stacking up on the lot.

· Registered
29 Posts
but please take what a dealer says with a HEAVY dose of skepticism. Even AFTER they've made the sale they're still not able to turn off their BS hose, it just flows and flows, I've seen it sooo many times.
In sales, I call this "Veneerial Disease." to protect himself from the disappointments and abuse of a high pressure sales environment, your average sales person adopts a persona that he wears like a thin veneer, a layer of insulation. It is composed of behaviors he has observed in successful individuals around him, and also of all the tricks and "expectations" that have been laid on him by management and the office culture. For the first few years, he is able to peel it off on the weekends or at home, but if he isn't careful, this veneer sticks permanently and adheres to his true self, forever altering his identity and nature.

· Administrator
24,832 Posts
In sales, I call this "Veneerial Disease." to protect himself from the disappointments and abuse of a high pressure sales environment, your average sales person adopts a persona that he wears like a thin veneer, a layer of insulation. It is composed of behaviors he has observed in successful individuals around him, and also of all the tricks and "expectations" that have been laid on him by management and the office culture. For the first few years, he is able to peel it off on the weekends or at home, but if he isn't careful, this veneer sticks permanently and adheres to his true self, forever altering his identity and nature.
Ha! My brother is almost as much of a car nut as I am. He once tried selling Nissans in the DFW area. He "clerked" a few, but didn't "sell" any, which is no surprise considering he couldn't sell water to someone if they were on fire. That career path didn't last but a few months - he couldn't go to sleep at night with a clear conscience. Interestingly, he learned all the tricks of the trade, yet still falls for them every time he buys a vehicle. I've watched him get taken on a half-dozen vehicle purchases following his own brief stint selling cars. This is perplexing to me.

· Registered
1,093 Posts
The recent environment with the G2 has confirmed I'm going to wait and/or buy a Canadian G2. Bottom line is a lot of G2s show up online here in Western NY/Southern ON but most are units they've sold. By the dealers listing all the incoming G2s, it make it look like there is better supply than there really is.

The reality is Honda is selling what they make but they really aren't making a lot of G2s in the big scope of things. I've seen 4 legit siting in the States and 1 in Canada...and I'm on the road A LOT...I count "sitings" as private owner vehicles only (no dealer plates).

I've racked up 28,000 miles on my 2015 RAM EcoDiesel since I picked up new on 8/19/2015 and I was thinking of trading it before I got near 40k miles but not sure that is going to happen...I'm picky as I'd only do a RTL-E in Modern Steel or Black with Black interior, so I'd have to order or luck out on an available unit.

Still working with a Canadian dealer on a casual basis as well - about a $3K-$4K savings to do a CDN Touring vs a RTL-E net/net with the current exchange rate but obviously, a lot more hassle and paperwork (and tougher trade in scenario).

· Registered
550 Posts
Ha! My brother is almost as much of a car nut as I am. He once tried selling Nissans in the DFW area. He "clerked" a few, but didn't "sell" any, which is no surprise considering he couldn't sell water to someone if they were on fire. That career path didn't last but a few months - he couldn't go to sleep at night with a clear conscience. Interestingly, he learned all the tricks of the trade, yet still falls for them every time he buys a vehicle. I've watched him get taken on a half-dozen vehicle purchases following his own brief stint selling cars. This is perplexing to me.
I never sold cars, but it was the same in electronics/Hi-Fi stores in the 90's when everyone was on commission. There were some good guys that tried to steer people in the right direction, but when a Coby CD player with a worthless warranty gets you a $30 commission and the Sony without a warranty only $5 eventually they need to pay the bills too. Some of them actually got off on being horrible to customers, it was a way to break the stress of sell sell sell. When the store folded one salesguy started selling caskets in a funeral home. It was a perfect job for him.

· Registered
328 Posts
Are they actually physically in stock? I looked at Curry Honda a few months ago because I had a business trip down that way and some of the same VINs are still on the website - some in the 3000 range. With Honda's delivery system it's hard to believe that Honda would continue to send them trucks if they are stacking up on the lot.
Dealer websites aren't the most accurate, but yes some of the older VIN's are still there. I don't know if others are waiting for newer VIN's and scooping them before they come in or what. A few new VIN's show up every week or so, between the same 5 dealers I search.

This is HIGHLY anecdotal... I drive 285 on the west side every day. Almost every day I see a truck full of Honda's from the Alabama plant, sometimes I'll see one in the morning and one in the evening. I'd say on average there are 1-2 RL's on board, I've seen 0, and I've seen 3 or 4. The rest are Pilots/Odysseys and an MDX or two. Lot's of Pilots I'd say. These trucks are going all kinds of places of course, but I'd say from what I see, 10-20% of the truck is Ridgeline.

PS- Curry has a poor selection, check out the other dealers.

· Registered
322 Posts
We were in the market for a truck. Planned to look at the F-150 and Tacoma. A friend suggested that we look at the Ridgeline. Went to a dealer that had all three and drove them back to back to back. The Ridgeline won hands down. We were not thrilled with the price. I have never paid MSRP for a vehicle. We purchased a CR-V from them last year and got a great deal but no deal on the RL. I did some checking and no one was offering deals. Truecar guaranteed that we would pay no more than $165 over MSRP for example. We really liked the truck and the dealer so we bit the bullet and purchased. We usually compromise on color and features if we get a deal but decided we would select the one we wanted since we were paying MSRP. Decided on a blue RTL-T. Sales person said they can usually find one in a few days. I also searched inventory of dealers within a reasonable distance and found 2 in stock. Sales person found the same 2 but said they were both spoken for and we could not have either of those. She was able to get us on a the list for upcoming builds. She said it would be built between 10/15 and 10/19. We could take delivery in early November. Looking forward to taking possession of the truck.

I would also like to say thanks for all the good info here. I have been research accessories (Floor liners, tonneau covers etc) so I can have them in hand when we get the vehicle.
Welcome to the RLOC. Which NH dealer did you buy from?

· Premium Member
608 Posts
Get me an address and a price and, of course, I would consider the purchase:grin:

I'm seeing that it's location specific...I golf with the sales manager, so he's pretty straight with me. He wishes they could get in another 12-15 a month; however, it's just not happening. Unlike Ford, who has 75-100 F-150's on their back lot at many dealers, the RL is, at least around here, pretty hard to find.

Maybe in your area, it's not this way. They are hard to find here in AZ, that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.