Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We know that the Gen2 Ridgeline will be built at the Lincoln Alabama plant where the Odyssey and Pilot are also made. The RL will share a path through the paint shop with them, and unless Honda is willing to run a batch of Ridgelines with a special color, it'll share colors with them because the robots in the paint section have a limited number of colors they can spray.

2016 Pilot:
  • Black Forest Pearl
  • Crystal Black Pearl
  • Dark Cherry Pearl
  • Lunar Silver Metallic
  • Modern Steel Metallic
  • Obsidian Blue Pearl
  • Steel Sapphire Metallic
  • White Diamond Pearl

2016 Odyssey:
  • Crystal Black Pearl
  • Deep Scarlet Pearl
  • Lunar Silver Metallic
  • Modern Steel Metallic
  • Obsidian Blue Pearl
  • Smokey Topaz Metallic
  • White Diamond Pearl

So a combined list (merging the two) gives us as potential colors:
  • Black Forest Pearl
  • Crystal Black Pearl
  • Dark Cherry Pearl
  • Deep Scarlet Pearl
  • Lunar Silver Metallic
  • Modern Steel Metallic
  • Obsidian Blue Pearl
  • Smokey Topaz Metallic
  • Steel Sapphire Metallic
  • White Diamond Pearl

It's also possible they could replace the robots with ones that have more than 10 color choices, opening up room for additional colors.

Chip H.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Joe posted this image a while back, with the caption "NO COMMENT" However when i went to save the image it was titled "ridgelinecolors" Food for thought. He's been right so far all along

Attachments

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Joe posted this image a while back, with the caption "NO COMMENT" However when i went to save the image it was titled "ridgelinecolors" Food for thought. He's been right so far all along
So no smokey topaz or deep scarlet. I can live with that.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Browns seem to be "in" right now, but Smokey Topaz just doesn't fit in with them.

The new RL could probably pull it off if it was really metallic and towards the gold end of the spectrum. Very 70's, in other words. ;)

Chip H.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Interesting about brown, it seems to work for some cars. Especially root-beer metallic..(my terminology).

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I still don't understand why Honda does not have at least two other Red paints to go along with Dark Cherry. They had Red Rock in 2006 then went with Dark Cherry in 2007. Bring back Firepepper Red.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Honda's color palette is a big yawn. There's only one black, though -- Crystal Black Pearl. Black Forest Pearl is a dark green which you can't tell from the chart. Go to the Honda Pilot site and "Build your Pilot". Then select Black Forest Pearl and you will see it on the Pilot. It's OK, I guess, but I want a light metallic green.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I'd rather see a true green other than the dark greens auto makers have offered since the 90's. That Saphire blue looks interesting.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I've noticed, the dark-green metallics sell well into the Hispanic market.

(correlation is not causation, etc.etc.)

Chip H.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
We were in Huntsville, AL yesterday making the monthly Sams and Costco run and saw several RLs including the rare rare Redrock and Amazon Green.

·
Administrator
17,308 Posts
I hope White Diamond Pearl is available on the G2, but don't forget that all other models built in Lincoln during the G1's tenure also had WDP...except the Ridgeline. So, just because it shares a path with the other models doesn't mean the color choices will be identical. However, given Joe's information and the commonality between the G2 and the Pilot, perhaps marketing will finally allow WDP to be applied the Ridgeline as well.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I hope White Diamond Pearl is available on the G2, but don't forget that all other models built in Lincoln during the G1's tenure also had WDP...except the Ridgeline. So, just because it shares a path with the other models doesn't mean the color choices will be identical. However, given Joe's information and the commonality between the G2 and the Pilot, perhaps marketing will finally allow WDP to be applied the Ridgeline as well.
If I take the GEN 2 plunge, WDP is at the top of my list.

·
Administrator
17,308 Posts
If I take the GEN 2 plunge, WDP is at the top of my list.
Me, too - for a number of reasons:

1) White and its variants tend to look newer longer by not showing surface scratches quite as bad as dark colors.

2) There seems to be a lot of light-color overspray floating around near my place of employment. We've never been able to determine the source. I can either cover my vehicle, buy a beater, or find another job - none of which are desirable solutions to me.

3) NOT heat. Despite living in Texas, I've never noticed a significant, real-world difference between a white and a dark vehicle - they ALL get hella hot in the Summer sun.

4) Plain old white screams "rental" or "fleet" to me and is very "cold", but a metallic white (particularly those bordering on beige like GM's $995 "White Diamond Tri-Coat") looks rich, warm, and luxurious to me.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
By this, they still don't get it. 2 blacks?
Honda's color palette is a big yawn. There's only one black, though -- Crystal Black Pearl. Black Forest Pearl is a dark green which you can't tell from the chart. Go to the Honda Pilot site and "Build your Pilot". Then select Black Forest Pearl and you will see it on the Pilot. It's OK, I guess, but I want a light metallic green.
Like this?... (Black Forest Pearl perhaps)

or in a different light.......

or this happy medium view (looks both black AND green!). :)

·
Administrator
17,308 Posts
Yes, I also remember when every other Ford was Cayman Green Metallic and when major appliances were Harvest Gold, Avacado, and Coppertone. Pink, yellow, turquoise were also once all the rage for refrigerators and ranges. There is a reason we don't see those color palettes anymore.

Look at cheap, disposable transportation such as the Chevrolet Sonic. It is available in no less than 12 different colors including Kinetic Blue, Dragon Green, Bright Yellow, and Red Hot. Still, over half of the available colors are shades of gray, black, or white. These colors are chosen primarily by younger or attention-starved drivers screaming, "Look at me!" At this price point, it really doesn't matter much if Dragon Green falls out of popularity a few years down the road - a Sonic won't be worth much no matter what color it is.

Now, look at a $75K Lexus LS. It is available in eight colors - black, white, two grays, silver, brown, tan, and one dark red. Those are classic, neutral colors that are much more timeless than neon green. Painting every other Lexus LS in some wild, confetti-like color would bring to resale value of the model as a whole way down - something the manufacturer doesn't want.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But they're also very different sizes. IMO, smaller cars need to have brighter colors, both for visibility (so they don't get squashed) and because the shades impart a sense of fun.

Big cars: Sober + serious
Small cars: Hey, let's have fun!

Chip H.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts