Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
In 2010 when I bought my G1, the RMHI (real median household income) was about $58K, in 2019 it was almost $69K. The CPI is not that different either. $100 back in 2010 is just under $85 of buying power now. I am not, in any means, a financial expert, but I understand why the price has to go up and keep climbing, in a reasonable fashion. There are always going to folks who turn around from bad financial behaviors and adopt good ones, while some do the opposite or stay on their course. Financial planning, and those who crack their brain on how the world needs to spin (around money) are something beyond my level of understanding.

This is a nice article from over half a year (History of the Cost of Living) but it puts a lot into perspective.

Registered
To put this into perspective, the average transaction price for a new vehicle two years ago was about $37,000.

A 27% increase is...crazy.
Truly nuts!

I got super lucky on the timing for buying my 2019 RTL - Q4 2019, when there was promotional cash available and they were clearing them out - so probably not a fair comparison, but the current RTL stickers for a full 10k more than I paid. I know it's been improved, and I'd feel better about the 9-speed transmission, but 32% more actual cost in 25 months.

Registered
To put this into perspective, the average transaction price for a new vehicle two years ago was about $37,000.

A 27% increase is...crazy.
It really is a pretty huge jump. I do wonder if it will trend back down slightly once the market settles back down.

Registered
'21 RTL-E MSM
Bought my rtl-e at the end of this past February.A large dealership,the place was packed!All the offices were full,had to do business at a table out in the"bull pen".I remarked to the salesman that it must be because of the sale and 0% interest.He said they had sold almost 300 vehicles that month and hardly anyone cared about that.They didn't even care about the trade in offer.It was all about the monthly payment.

Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
I haven't paid a cent in credit card interest in a quarter of a century and I use my credit card for nearly everything (I pay cash for my haircuts and write a check for my property taxes each year to avoid a "convenience fee" for using a credit card"). I use only credit cards that offer cash back of 2% on all purchases.

Many years ago, I used to live paycheck-to-paycheck and have to decide which credit card I'd make the minimum payment on each month. I bought new vehicles at the same frequency I do now, but back then I used to roll the negative equity into the next one. All that eventually caught up with me and put me in a miserable place. I learned from that experience and vowed never to repeat it.

I made poor choices and hit rock bottom, but I dug myself out - all by myself. I don't have and will never have anywhere near the wealth of many of my friends, but I'm comfortable and satisfied with what I've accomplished.
Another happy 'deadbeat' here. I use my CCs for convenience and cash back (except for my Target Red card). With the cash back, I stockpile it and can buy new flagship cellphones every few years with the cash. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

I got burned recently on that convenience fee issue. I hate those and sent in my registration via snail mail with a check so as to avoid the $3 convenience fee. I sent it in early December, but by late December had not yet received the new registration and sticker. Naturally, with Christmas and the New Year, everything was closed and by the time I was able to reach someone, the end of the year rolled over and my tag was out of date.

I went to a local DMV office and told them my story, they checked online and said it hasn't been paid. They charged me a $15 late fee to get the registration renewal and sticker. Then, a week later, I got a letter from the NC DMV with my check enclosed telling me the registration was already paid.

Naturally I fired off a letter to the NC DMV detailing the situation. But I never heard back from them. Lesson learned. I just pay the convenience fee now. It's cheaper than the $15 late fee, mileage to the NC DMV office, and the cost of 2 stamps (one for the original registration and one for my letter of protest).馃う鈥嶁檪锔 Lol

Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
Bought my rtl-e at the end of this past February.A large dealership,the place was packed!All the offices were full,had to do business at a table out in the"bull pen".I remarked to the salesman that it must be because of the sale and 0% interest.He said they had sold almost 300 vehicles that month and hardly anyone cared about that.They didn't even care about the trade in offer.It was all about the monthly payment.
Wow. I hate it when the first question I'm asked is what kind of monthly pmt am I looking for. When I go to buy a car, I already have my money ready and all I want to know is the OTD price. Don't start with that monthly pmt crap with me. And it never fails that I already know more about the vehicle in question than the salesperson.

Apparently not everyone goes in prepared. I don't mind the negotiation process. It's a game. But my wife hates in and just goes and hides somewhere when that process begins. ;) I don't understand the mentality of those who don't negotiate.

Reactions: Goreds2

Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
Wow. I hate it when the first question I'm asked is what kind of monthly pmt am I looking for. When I go to buy a car, I already have my money ready and all I want to know is the OTD price. Don't start with that monthly pmt crap with me. And it never fails that I already know more about the vehicle in question than the salesperson.

Apparently not everyone goes in prepared. I don't mind the negotiation process. It's a game. But my wife hates in and just goes and hides somewhere when that process begins. ;) I don't understand the mentality of those who don't negotiate.
I like to find dealerships who 'appreciate' me as a customer, i like prices on websites, that match the price when i show up in person, I dont always know what vehicle i am going to buy but i always have a price range and list of features, if they dont have anything that fits i will leave, in fact if i dont like any part of the interaction i will drop it and walk away, it helps i never need a specific model and usually just look for something that checks all the right boxes for the right price, they usually give me to the new sales guy, and they usually give a halfhearted effort to upsell me stuff, occasionally i'll surprise them by adding something if i like the value and it still fits my budget

Registered
2021 Ridgeline Black Edition
I like to find dealerships who 'appreciate' me as a customer, i like prices on websites, that match the price when i show up in person, I dont always know what vehicle i am going to buy but i always have a price range and list of features, if they dont have anything that fits i will leave, in fact if i dont like any part of the interaction i will drop it and walk away, it helps i never need a specific model and usually just look for something that checks all the right boxes for the right price, they usually give me to the new sales guy, and they usually give a halfhearted effort to upsell me stuff, occasionally i'll surprise them by adding something if i like the value and it still fits my budget
When I was buying a challenger the dealership called and we talked about the car and the price. Admittedly a rarer model as I wanted the manual trans. In the physical dealership the price somehow grew by 10 grand. I鈥檝e never been more frustrated with a business, it was a 2.5 hour drive.

Now I won鈥檛 step foot in any dealership until they鈥檝e emailed me an itemized sheet with prices and fees listed and signed off on by somebody.

The days of even hearing about new vehicles 10k+ off sticker are long gone I鈥檓 afraid

Registered
It's now over $47,000 including luxury models and still over $43,000 when you exclude luxury models.

I am still amazed at the prices friends and coworkers pay for new trucks. 40 thousand is low end . Most are 50- 80 grand. And most are commuter vehicles. And they are giant !!

Registered
Sometime around early September 2021 Ford released the Job 1 Dealer Order Guide for 2022 MY F150's except the Lightning (some option-package adjustments and minor tweaks compared to the 2021 MY).

On 10/14/2021 Ford opened the retail order bank for 2022 MY F150's (all ICE/hybrid models other than the all-electric Lightning) with base prices increased something on the order of ~3~8% compared to ending 2021 MY (the increased varied by trim level, more for higher trims).

On 12/23/2021 Ford announced (to dealers) an $880 MSRP increase for all 2022 F150 trims except the XL which got a $350 MSRP bump, effective for orders confirmed after 12/26/2021 (again, setting the Lightning aside, it's on a totally different ordering scheme).

I placed an order for a 2022 F150 Lariat on 12/22/2021 (lucky coincidence); that order was confirmed by Ford Corporate on the same day. On 1/6/2022 Ford Corporate sent me an email with my VIN and build scheduled for the week of 2/28/2022. I fully expect that build-date to be delayed, perhaps multiple times, but at least I'm in the queue. The dealer is price protected by Ford Corporate and my purchase price is guaranteed by the dealer (9.3% below the MSRP in effect when I ordered).

Yes, vehicles are getting more expensive, but there are, relatively speaking, some good deals out there to be had, not all dealers are sticking with MSRP as suggested by the OP article. I placed my 2022 F150 order with Granger Ford (Granger, IA) which offers 3% below invoice, $180 doc fee, no other dealer add-ons period.

Interesting that non-Lightning 2022 MY F150 ICE/hybrid info is still not available on the Ford retail website as of the time of this post.

PS - add me to the list of Credit Card 'deadbeats' (always pay-in-full on due date, never pay interest or penalty), for over 30 years. I put everything I can on a credit card, always for cash kickback redeemed promptly each month, have never used a debit card or ATM.

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
I am still amazed at the prices friends and coworkers pay for new trucks. 40 thousand is low end . Most are 50- 80 grand. And most are commuter vehicles. And they are giant !!
I paid $46.5K for a minivan (Odyssey) three years ago. Going rate was around $49K~$50K OTD. If there is a demand, there is the price.

At work, we have been hunting for a Rav4 LE Hybrid for about 14 months. This is to be part of our parking enforcement fleet and the cheapest we have found so far, is $5K over MSRP. Kinda stupid to display the MSRP and tack on $5K. I remember when the USDM CTR came out, that thing was $30K over itemized as market adjustment. WTH does that even mean. People going nuts and buying a Civic (dumbing it down here for argument sake) for $60K. Heck, my used G1, in private party sale, can be had for a cool $10K+ and I am rolling with 250K+ miles. I say it is insanity all the way around.

Registered
On the topic of inflating expenses, I'll contribute the subject of utilities. Where I live, electricity and gas keep going up, water is reasonable, but the waste fee is rising exponentially (about ten times the monthly amount of water). Add property tax increases, and the cost of just having a roof over your head is multiple thousands of dollars per year.

Premium Member
I've never paid a CC late fee but I was recently changed one when I changed my method of autopay and it didn't go through. I called customer service and straightened out autopay and got the late fee waived. Even though it was my error, customer service took care of me.

Here in the state of WA, I have the option of paying DMV and other state fees either by CC with a service charge or direct payment from my bank with no service charge. I've done both but will continue with the direct payment from my bank.

Registered
2020 RTL-E
I haven't paid a cent in credit card interest in a quarter of a century and I use my credit card for nearly everything (I pay cash for my haircuts and write a check for my property taxes each year to avoid a "convenience fee" for using a credit card"). I use only credit cards that offer cash back of 2% on all purchases.

Many years ago, I used to live paycheck-to-paycheck and have to decide which credit card I'd make the minimum payment on each month. I bought new vehicles at the same frequency I do now, but back then I used to roll the negative equity into the next one. All that eventually caught up with me and put me in a miserable place. I learned from that experience and vowed never to repeat it.

I made poor choices and hit rock bottom, but I dug myself out - all by myself. I don't have and will never have anywhere near the wealth of many of my friends, but I'm comfortable and satisfied with what I've accomplished.

Count me in the group of "deadbeats", too, and with a very similar financial story as yours. I still have 2 cards I use daily, just to let the cash back accumulate until December. That's my Christmas funds each year. :)

Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
i was watching a video that said Ford has patented a new tailgate that opens sideways like the Ridgeline. The center 1/2 of the tailgate opens outward, with the outermost 1/4鈥檚 being fixed. The entire tailgate folds down as normal.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts