Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Initially, I hooked my new head unit up to the four door speakers and skipped the sub. That was terrible. So it was easy to cut the two sub wires out of the 8-pin connector and I decided to continue without the rear door speakers. (per several threads here on ROC).

The HU manual indicated that if only using one pair of rear speakers you're supposed to use the violet wires. I did that, and had no output. I set the head unit to subwoofer mode and turned the rear speakers off, so I think that kept any signal from going out to those wires. Then I hooked the sub wires to the green pair and as soon as a reapplied power I had awesome sound.

I'm not using any subwoofer mode on the head unit. From what I can tell, it's just sending out normal rear channel signal and the green pair's going to the sub. I hear plenty of sound but I would have to wonder am I only hearing left channel low-frequency as opposed to left and right together. If I turn on sub mode by turning off rear speakers then I have no sound at all,.
Should I have done a traditional bridge mode and connected one green lead and one violet lead on the rear channels?

I thought "bridging" was to double your power... I don't really need more power to the rear. I'm not even using the $100 Alpine amp I purchased for this project cause its plenty loud.
thx

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
A while back I perused the Pioneer product line looking to understand features and costs. Your previous questions about setting up the 6100 made me curious, so I reminded myself of AVIC audio control & connection options by pulling down the user guide and installation manuals for the 6100 currently available on the Pioneer site. Then I was reminded the AVIC line does not support (what Pioneer terms) "network mode" which is one of the reasons I opted for an AVH unit.

In other Pioneer models, network mode does a couple things, including configuring internal amp(s) to be electronically crossed & adjusted for hi & mid freq output while using RCA sub out to drive an external amp, OR configuring rear internal amp for software controlled subwoofer output & configure front internal amp for SW controlled hi freq output. Without network mode, the user cannot configure the rear internal amp to be controlled by software adjustable crossover options.

Which explains why the AVIC 5100 thru 8100 installation and user manuals make no mention of rear internal amp mono output connection options or configuring for network mode.

In the AVH line, this diagram explains using internal amp as a sub power power source. There is no reference to this option in AVIC manuals.

PioneerSubOut.jpg

You'll also find in Specifications/Audio page 259 of the user guide, there is no published spec for internal amp mono output.

PioneerSubOut2.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just put an 8100 in my 07 but I thought it sounded great with just the four speakers and no sub. The extra power over the stock made a big difference I thought. I then added an old amp I had sitting around to the sub (maybe pushing 80 watts to it). It's not the greatest sound system but it sounds so much better than stock. Louder and cleaner in imho. I think the way you wired it you're only getting one channel to the sub since there's only one. Have to run now but I'd be happy to share how mine sounds and/or answer questions about what I did in mine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So... basically, i don't have this wired correctly.

I could do two things...
1) try bridging the rear speakers (positive green, and purple negative) to the factory sub (currently, unbridged using only green pair, probably only left channel going to amp)

2) hookup my Alpine KTP-445U 4 Channel Power Amplifier and use the AVIC SUB RCA connector, then use Subwoofer mode on HU to configure (but thats not a mono amp)

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
You could try wiring the 8100 in mono mode same as other Pioneer products and see what happens. I would advise class D chip amps don't tolerate operation outside of design parameters very well. By reading the manual its a reasonable conclusion doing the above - with AVIC software which has no provision to configure signalling to the rear amp in mono mode - may cause the amp to puke its guts out. Or not. But non-the-less, you'll not have software control filtering over rear output, meaning it won't be slope and frequency adjustable.

Further advise: running one rear channel from Pioneer to sub means it will be fed full range audio @ rated output (22W max?) - which is very low in sub terms. BUT, more importantly, the factory sub is well below impedance the Pioneer can handle. It might make sound for a while but it won't like 2Ω for very long.

The text above might be choices you could make but they aren't good options. Bottom line here. Square peg, round hole. You really only have two reasonable options.

1) Run the Alpine with one channel - but IIRC it is not rated for 2Ω. Whether it will tolerate a load that low is a matter of experiment with the potential for damage if it doesn't. If the Alpine isn't rated for 2Ω, this option isn't a good one.

2) Do what others have done. Source the Boss CE200M for ~$31 +/- and be done with it.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Yes, unless the manual indicates the rear channels can be bridged and drive a 2 ohm load like in the Pioneer AVH lines, I would not drive the sub with it.

Reactions: Carsmak
1 - 6 of 6 Posts