Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I absolutely agree, and I have been burned on several Chyrsler vehicles in the past, so I would always be hesitant to buy a Dodge vehicle. Its just such a shame in my opinion that Honda has the nearly perfect truck setup and all that its lacking is a variety of the technology and updates that have become commonplace over the past five years. I don't think many people would choose a a smaller and less capable ridgeline over an equally priced (and nearly equal fuel economy) half ton which can do so much more.

Here's to hoping that Honda has recognized the challenges from the competition and is planning on updating the RL accordingly.
I like my "Smaller", " Less capable" Ridgeline. Maybe that's because I don't need a half ton that can do "so much more." Plus you can't beat the ride of the Ridge.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I like my "Smaller", " Less capable" Ridgeline. Maybe that's because I don't need a half ton that can do "so much more." Plus you can't beat the ride of the Ridge.
All true, but I can't help but feel that I'm not getting the feature-value for my money with Honda, compared to what other manufacturers are now offering. Even though a smaller and less-capable midsize perfectly suits my needs, why am I paying a full-size, feature-loaded price? When I purchased my 2009, I got an incentive, and felt the deal was right for the time. I don't know if I'd come to the same conclusion today.

Interesting and informative threads like this one popping up are all seeming to take a similar tone. I hope Honda can step it up.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Please don't take those terms as any kind of a ding on my part against the Ridgeline. One of my best friends has one and I love the truck to death, I very nearly bought one myself. In my world (living in Philadelphia) "smaller" is much better and preferred. "Less capable" was just a statement of fact in relation to the drivetrain. One can do more work with 390 hp over 250 hp.

As far as *I* am concerned the Ridgeline is about as ideal a truck as could be found. But when one is shopping for a new vehicle and a Ridgeline costs the same as something that comes with much more (and is bigger) it tricks a psychological switch that is hard to beat. That is all I was trying to say.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Please don't take those terms as any kind of a ding on my part against the Ridgeline. One of my best friends has one and I love the truck to death, I very nearly bought one myself. In my world (living in Philadelphia) "smaller" is much better and preferred. "Less capable" was just a statement of fact in relation to the drivetrain. One can do more work with 390 hp over 250 hp.

As far as *I* am concerned the Ridgeline is about as ideal a truck as could be found. But when one is shopping for a new vehicle and a Ridgeline costs the same as something that comes with much more (and is bigger) it tricks a psychological switch that is hard to beat. That is all I was trying to say.
Well in your 3 posts you have mentioned smaller, less capable, and other makers have more horse power. Sounds like dinging to me.

If more and bigger is YOUR thing, then by all means go that route, but for me and other Ridgeline owners its perfect. I don't need more or bigger. I don't need 390 to 400 horsepower.

I like this truck so much this is my second one.

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
I don't think I could get 'a lot more' for the same price. I know I could not get something that would park inside my garage, parks as easy anywhere else, for that matter. Or have the overall ride comfort and handling and reliability. All this while meeting all my needs as a hauler of people & stuff.
Bigger and more powerful is always an option, but not always a better one.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
when one is shopping for a new vehicle and a Ridgeline costs the same as something that comes with much more (and is bigger) it tricks a psychological switch that is hard to beat.
I hear what your saying, but bigger & more doesn't always mean better.

Has anyone driven the new f150 AWD yet? Does anyone want to speculate on whether the Ridge is still significantly more agile?
And as far as the comparison goes, you cannot beat AWD which is always on, so no worries, whereas if you have to switch to 4WD, it may already be too late in an emergency manouver!

The only time 4WD "could" be better is if you are already in the ditch, and that 4-low "might" get you out,(might still need a tow truck) but for actually driving through a storm, you can't beat AWD and the other technologies included like VSA traction control.

No comparison!!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have done a really bad job expressing myself on this thread, so let me try again.

I was recently in the market for a new car, and due to how I use the vehicle some type of truck was what I wanted (though ultimately decided against, for a variety of reasons).

The point I was making was that I have very recently test driven Ram 1500's (2011) and Ford F150's (2011, 2wd, non ecoboost). One of my best friends has a Ridgeline so I have spent more time behind the wheel of that truck than the others.

The Ram 1500 (and based on this thread I am assuming the Ford F150 as well) does not have a “typical” part time 4wd system. It has a knob that can be twisted to select whether you want the vehicle to be in 2wd, 4wd hi, 4wd lo, or AWD (they call it 4wd all or something along those lines). In the AWD mode it functions like a Ridgeline in reverse, meaning it is typically rear wheel drive until slip is detected (or predicted) and at that point torque is transferred to the front axle. In at least some F150 models (don’t know about the Rams) there is also a locking rear differential as well that can be engaged with the push of a button. I had stated this was more “capable” earlier because it has a low range.

As far as the drive goes (and this is always subjective), I found the Ram to ride better than the F150 (which makes sense, I think it uses coil overs with the rear axle instead of leaf springs), though they were fairly similar, while the Ridgeline both rides and handles a full standard deviation better than both of the half tons. In my mind its not even close, the RL handles closer to a minivan than a truck (and that is a good thing), so if you like how your RL handles you probably won’t like jumping up to one of the larger half tons.

The biggest problem with the RL was when comparing interiors, and here the RL is sorely lagging behind (though this is subjective and your mileage may vary). Both Ford and Dodge have really put a lot of effort into improving the interior materials, design, comfort, dials, doodads, and features in their respective trucks. These aren’t world ending issues, but all of the little luxuries are nice.

In the end, in my opinion, while the RL shredded the competition in the light/medium truck market (Tacoma and Frontier), it doesn’t compete well with the half tons. Unfortunately due to extraordinary discounts and freebies from Ford and Dodge the half tons are priced the same as the RL right now. It isn’t a fair comparison, but it is still made due to pricing (and due to EPA mileage being the same or nearly the same).

So to summarize for those that don’t want to read that long message in its entirety:

RL handles better
RL is more comfortable
AWD systems should be comparable with the edge going to the half tons
Mileage is similar from EPA estimates, though I would guess that most will do slightly better with the RL
Interior goes to half tons
Raw power goes to the half tons

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
I would agree, if I wanted a full size truck, the F150 (with eco-boost) would likely fill the bill. I find most of the Dodge trucks also appealing, but in terms of reliability still need a lot more time to show they have improved.
With all that, nothing out there meets my present needs as well as the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I might be full of it but I just bought a 2011 F150 Platinum and it's most definitely not an AWD system it's a selectable 2wd 4H 4L system. IIRC the Lariat Limited (no longer in production) is the only model that has the AWD system.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
On Fords site, it's called a two speed all wheel drive system, whatever that means. The Lariat, Harley Davidson and King Ranch models have the same thing.

Ford makes a great truck. If they didn't, they wouldn't sell like they do, period. If you want a full size truck, a Ford is tough to beat. I'm sure that Dodge and Chevy do as well.

If you don't want a full sized truck, the RL is the way to go. In my opinion, it beats the Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado, and Ranger by a long shot. Those are the trucks that I compare the RL to.

Why even bother comparing the RL to a full sized truck? I just don't get it..it's NOT a full sized truck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
On Fords site, it's called a two speed all wheel drive system, whatever that means. The Lariat, Harley Davidson and King Ranch models have the same thing.
Where did you find that at? I looked and all it says is 4x4 or 4x2. I know my Platinum is NOT AWD and neither was the King Ranch I looked at. Mine is in no way shape or form AWD

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you don't want a full sized truck, the RL is the way to go. In my opinion, it beats the Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado, and Ranger by a long shot. Those are the trucks that I compare the RL to.
I could not agree with you more. And I believe the Ranger and Colorado have been killed off now.

Why even bother comparing the RL to a full sized truck? I just don't get it..it's NOT a full sized truck.
It gets compared to half tons for the same reason that well equipped frontiers and tacomas do, they are in the same price range. For one reason or another the major car manufacturers have some pretty significant price overlap between small trucks and half tons (because the half tons carry enormous rebates and incentives) so people compare them. I also suspect that most truck buyers have enough space where they live/drive where a smaller vehicle isn't a huge advantage the way it is to me (and clearly many others on this website), so cross shopping them is not such a big deal.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
It's the only one that's not full-size that can replace virtually all of the full-size duties that most shoppers actually use. For hauling, it's the only one with four feet between the wheel wells to accommodate standard building supplies, larger ATV's and other things made for this width. For carrying people, it's the only one with enough shoulder room in the second row for three adults.

The Ridgeline is a great option for those who liked the full-size light trucks of a few years ago, rather than the 6000 lb monsters of today. That's probably why it is popular among former owners of first-generation Tundras.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The Ridgeline is a great option for those who liked the full-size light trucks of a few years ago, rather than the 6000 lb monsters of today. That's probably why it is popular among former owners of first-generation Tundras.
+1 for truthiness.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
AWD systems should be comparable with the edge going to the half tons
Since Ford doesn't appear to have an true AWD drive model, you cannot give them the edge!~

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hey,
I resemble that remark!

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you poke around on other truck forums you will find people comparing Frontiers to Titans and Tacomas to Tundras at the upper end of the price scale, due to the overlap in prices. This happens much more often with the RL for I think two reasons.

1.) There are no bare bones bottom dollar RLs. You can't get a 4 cylinder manual wimp of a truck with the RL, which keeps the price of the lowest trim model well over that of the other small trucks.

2.) The RL is more capable than the other light trucks. It has more useful bed space. It has trunk storage. The Rear seat folds up in an extremely convenient way. And of course the RL payload outdoes nearly every other (and I think every other) small truck. Payload beats some half tons too.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
I understand what you're all saying about the comparison. I just get mad when I hear that the full sized trucks are a better value because they are bigger and have more horsepower and cost about the same.

I happen to really enjoy my RL and have no regrets with the purchase. If I wanted a full sized truck, I would have bought one. Rollin mentioned how he can fit his in the garage. I think that is extremely important. I can even lift mine in the garage and even though it's close, I can do it. With a full sized truck, no way man!! When there is snow and ice on the road, it will be nice to work on my RL in a heated garage instead of outside!

21 - 40 of 81 Posts