Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been patiently awaiting my maintenance minder to finally tell me that I need an oil change and other services after purchasing my RL in October 2014. Finally, after ~8,000 miles I noticed my Oil Life was displaying 15%, and a "Service B13" was displaying.

I have the manual and looked up what the codes mean. I did some searching to find out about possible prices of this maintenance, but didn't come up with anything concrete. What I did find was that people reported having the B13 maintenance performed at higher mileage markers (42K, 51K, etc.).

My questions are:

1) Doesn't it seem too soon for my Ridge (<31K miles) to need this service (specifically the 3 service of transmission and transfer fluid replacement)?
2) What should I expect for a total price of getting these services performed?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Follow the mm; it's not wrong. You did buy new, correct?

Can't help you with prices, other than to say those of us who DYI save a lot of money, especially for those 'special' tasks (beyond oil & filter).

You can find many threads on the forum here that break down the mileage at which you'll likely see your mm trigger codes for various maintenance tasks. Just do a search (search bar above on blue stripe).

While we're on the topic: You'll never get a mm code telling you to change PS fluid or brake fluid. You should change the brake fluid every 3 years; and you'll do yourself a favor by remove/replacing your PS fluid whenever it looks dirty (use a turkey baster to suck out the old... and buy Honda-only PS fluid to replace... only takes about 8 oz or so.... one bottle is pretty inexpensive). You could probably do that every 3 years with your brake fluid just for convenience sake, but really doesn't need it that often.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Huh..ill have to baste out some ps fluid..

My crv gave me a mm code to change transaxle fluid at 12000 miles..couldn't believe it..neither did dealer when i picked up the fluids...2013 crv btw

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,269 Posts
I agree if you have the place/space to do the work, and a very minimum amount of skill, DIY the Transmission and Transfer Fluids yourself. If you can change the Oil, I'd say you can do both of those services also.

Otherwise Check with your Dealer or Local Trusted Mechanic and since your in MD, maybe check with Anderson Honda, there prices seem reasonable for the services posted as "Specials"

http://www.andersonhonda.net/Specials/auto-service?siteMapItemName=2959701391623129594

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
That's a great point.... nothing but great things said about Anderson on this forum.... especially pricing for major services. Give them a call to get a quote over the phone if you really can't, or don't want to do the fluids yourself.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I did not buy new, I bought it last October Certified Used at 23,460 miles. Now I have ~30,350 miles and have not had a service yet. Like I mentioned I have been waiting for the MM to tell me I need an oil change/other service. Currently it is displaying Service B13, Oil Life 15%.

From some searching it seems that 30,000 miles is a pretty standard interval to need a trans fluid change, although some makes have much higher intervals. I guess I just thought that it seemed way too soon to need something like that, which could cost me a couple hundred bucks for my first service...

In any event, I probably follow the MM and either get the service done, or DIM.

Is there anything to worry about in DYI work that could void my warranty? Of course, if I messed something up it probably would, but from what you all say and from what I've read it doesn't sound too complicated.

Thanks again

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Biggest risk for most DIY (only risk in my mind) is if you don't save your receipts! You do need to show that you bought the correct fluids. (Use only Honda for your tranny, PS, coolant, & VTM-4 (rear diff). Oil & transfer case can be any equivalent product.

Fluids are something that you want to take serious with Hondas, regarding both interval & product used. That's one area of maintenance that can be sensitive.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I had to go back to look at my maintenance records, but had to go way back to 2009 where I had both the trans. and rear diff. fluids changed together (I use the Honda maintenance site to track maintenance). It was about $100 back then, so say it increased $20.00 by now. An oil change costs me $34.99 at the dealership. So under $150.00 depending on your perspective isn't much. Honda is all about maintenance, that's why they last.

A question to those who do change their own fluids, what do you do with the used fluids? Who takes the different fluids after you change them? I know the local auto parts store takes my oil, from mowers etc. but what about the other stuff?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,269 Posts
In California, we have locations for Hazardous Waste Disposal, the one nearest to me is near the largest/oldest fire station. It's only manned 2 days a week from 9-5 on Wednesday & Sundays but they will take anything. Also I've never showed up on Sunday & had them say it was full. They do prefer if you can give them certain items sorted out, Oils, Coolant, and such, But one Sunday I got a bit of a tour as I was dropping off coolant & oil mixed from a blown head gasket on a 1972 2.8l engine I helped pull. Even that mess wasn't an issue it just went in a drum which contained "unidentified waste fluid".

In addition all the local Auto Parts stores will take used oil & the VTM, ATF, Gear Oil, & Motor Oil can go to those places. The only problem is they sometimes limit the amount you can drop off to 2-3 gallons or I've even had them say they couldn't accept because they were full.

There are some websites for recycling & even an "APP" for that which can locate recycling in your area. It is available on both Google Play & the APP store on Apple called "iRecycle". I've used it in Michigan, Maryland, Alabama & California.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I called my local dealership and my independent mechanic who specializes in Hondas. The dealership price for the B13 service is $286. My mechanic is charging $250.

I am considering doing it myself. The thought of paying $250 for my first service, while I'm still making payments (and will be for awhile!), is just not sitting right with me.

I read through some threads on here about these services and it seems relatively simple. There are also a couple of good videos on YouTube showing all the steps.

For those of you who DIY, where do you buy your Honda Genuine fluids? I haven't really shopped it yet, but you can get a case of it on Amazon for $100...

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
For fluids, we used to order large quantities (and still worth checking it out..) from Curry Acura (trademotion.com) as they shipped free and beat all local prices. Next were places like Bernardi and even Amazon with occasional deals or offers. Do not overlook the power of showing your local Honda parts counter manager the online price and ask if they will beat it or at least match it.

Case of DW1 is 77.64 at Bernardi

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The dealer I bought my Ridgeline from is typically sufficiently competitive with the mail order dealers that I've always just bought from my dealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts