Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We just returned from retrieving our Ridgeline from the dealer after performing the B16 service at 12,600 miles and here are some highlights:
A) The dealer uses Mobil 1 lubricants.
B) They removed the Vephic skid plate to change the oil, (explaining so not to make a mess, no extra charge), and appreciated our having the Fumoto drain valve for them to install to make future oil changes easier.
C) We waited this time until the Maintenance Minder showed that it was time for service, where the dealer recommended doing oil changes at 5,000 to 7,500 miles stating that when they have had to disassemble an engine for maintenance that it was obvious who has been using the Maintenance Minder exclusively to dictate oil changes. (A lifetime oil change plan came with the purchase of the vehicle so dealer profit is not a factor here.)
D. They supplied us with a maintenance checklist using mileage to determine the service intervals.
E) Asked about the programming update of the transmission in concern of judder and was advised that it has already been accomplished for the 2019 model.

I'll return to add to this list as I recall them for I have more than likely spaced items.

Bill

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I sneaked underneath to check out how the new drain valve looked and this is what I found:
1587767276234.png

OK, I try to keep a positive outlook on things but I just have to shake my head at this. Wouldn't you think that they would have mentioned something to me that the drain was partially blocked by the skid plate? The only reason I purchased the valve was to make the oil change process easier for them. ?

Anyways, I still went ahead and made it better:

1587767571600.png

Bill

·
Registered
569 Posts
Interesting. I took mine to the stealership for an oil change too. They didn’t say anything about having to remove the skid plate and when I picked it up it was nice and clean. No oil. No mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,279 Posts
Interesting. I took mine to the stealership for an oil change too. They didn’t say anything about having to remove the skid plate and when I picked it up it was nice and clean. No oil. No mess.

No oil? I hope we're not supposed to take that literally!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

It is really no never mind, there was no harm and no charge, and they actually used a torque wrench to reinstall, so all is good in that respect! Now that the drain valve is installed and folks have been made aware that the access hole in the skid plate may require some minor modification, all is well and future oil changes should be easy. (y)

Bill

·
Registered
2019 Sport
51 Posts
I sneaked underneath to check out how the new drain valve looked and this is what I found:
View attachment 401678

OK, I try to keep a positive outlook on things but I just have to shake my head at this. Wouldn't you think that they would have mentioned something to me that the drain was partially blocked by the skid plate? The only reason I purchased the valve was to make the oil change process easier for them. ?

Anyways, I still went ahead and made it better:

View attachment 401679

Bill
Was the solution was to widen the slot or adjust the plate position? I'm considering getting the Fumoto valve (and the drain hose) before my next (first) oil change. Would the drain hose avoided having to widen the slot, if that was the case?

[Edit] I see the question answered on another thread.

·
Administrator
14,976 Posts
OK, is this readable for everybody?
View attachment 401745
Bill
To avoid confusion, note that is a dealer advertisement. It is not something that was published by Honda.

I find it funny that the top of the advertisement says "We recommend that you refer to your owner's manual for year-round maintenance information." If you did, you'd see that the owner's manual conflicts with this information. :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To avoid confusion, note that is a dealer advertisement. It is not something that was published by Honda.

I find it funny that the top of the advertisement says "We recommend that you refer to your owner's manual for year-round maintenance information." If you did, you'd see that the owner's manual conflicts with this information. :)
You are absolutely correct, zroger73, but if you were to take the time to sit down and check it out and compare, that the numbers will ultimately match what the maintenance minder follows, with the possible exception of oil changes, and that is explained earlier in this discussion.

Bill

·
Administrator
14,976 Posts
I did take the time to sit down, check it out, and compare and found the numbers ultimately do not match the MM. :)

If the average driver follows that advertisement, they'll be staring at "Maintenance Due Soon/Now" lights and messages for 1,500 miles since the MM prompts for an oil change about 8,500 for the average driver.

They'll also be paying for unnecessary services (i.e., "fuel injection service", oil filters at every oil change, perform "system scan for codes").

They'll also be late on their transmission and transfer fluid change (it's not listed until 60K, but typically appears around 45K then every 30K on the MM for the average driver for the 6-speed) and very late on their differential fluid change (it's not listed until 60K, but typically appears every 15K then every 30K).

This advertisement is mileage-based only, counter to the Maintenance Minder, can add confusion, and is in the best interest of the dealer - not you or your vehicle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
They are charging $85 to change the cabin air filter. The OEM filter costs $15 and takes, literally, less than 5 mins to change.
For me, the value of this forum is learning about what it takes to maintain and repair the RL. For example, you may choose to have the dealer change the rear diff fluid because you can’t or don’t want to crawl underneath your truck. But knowing that it costs less than $50 for the fluid and 15 min of labor can help when the stealership quotes $150 for the job.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
For example, you may choose to have the dealer change the rear diff fluid because you can’t or don’t want to crawl underneath your truck. But knowing that it costs less than $50 for the fluid and 15 min of labor can help when the stealership quotes $150 for the job.
We were charged $85 for changing the rear differential fluid in our Ridgeline.

Bill

·
Registered
9 Posts
We just returned from retrieving our Ridgeline from the dealer after performing the B16 service at 12,600 miles and here are some highlights:
A) The dealer uses Mobil 1 lubricants.
B) They removed the Vephic skid plate to change the oil, (explaining so not to make a mess, no extra charge), and appreciated our having the Fumoto drain valve for them to install to make future oil changes easier.
C) We waited this time until the Maintenance Minder showed that it was time for service, where the dealer recommended doing oil changes at 5,000 to 7,500 miles stating that when they have had to disassemble an engine for maintenance that it was obvious who has been using the Maintenance Minder exclusively to dictate oil changes. (A lifetime oil change plan came with the purchase of the vehicle so dealer profit is not a factor here.)
D. They supplied us with a maintenance checklist using mileage to determine the service intervals.
E) Asked about the programming update of the transmission in concern of judder and was advised that it has already been accomplished for the 2019 model.

I'll return to add to this list as I recall them for I have more than likely spaced items.

Bill
Just came back from dealer for 2019 Ridgeline from the dealer after performing the B16.
1. I thought I would let them do the rear diff fluid this time. (129.00)
2. Free oil changes for life from dealer.
3. Tire rotation,
4. multi-point check, .
I did my filters and told them. I changed engine and Cabin filter and wipers already.
2 hours later got my TRUCK back.
We went over what they did and what they thought I needed. Tire balancing at 11,000 Miles (NO) and they told me my cabin filter needing changing. Nobody listens and WHY would they check it again and WHY would they tell me it was bad. Anyway I laughed and went on my way.
I got out of there for about 150. with coupons.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts