Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'06 I picked up 2nd hand about 3 years ago is now showing 97K on the clock. Original owner treated her nicely with dealer service at all indicated due dates. Since I've got 'er, I do all but the recalls myself. At the last oil change, while resetting that interval, the MM said something along the lines of 'B4 will be due soon'.

Now, in reading around here, this 'B4' deal is a big one. My 'Shade Tree Wrench' background is working on old American iron (Mopar) from the '80s - namely 318s. Those things didn't have Timing Belts, but chains that would stretch and make things 'interesting'. Also, after pulling radiator 'n stuff, one had room to work. Just looking in this RL engine bay makes my knuckles bleed. ie. It's all a we bit snug in there, eh?

Just called my local dealer - they've a new guy answering phones today, so won't hold this against them - But he told me that for US $995 I could get the timing belt and water pump replaced, but they'd just inspect the tensioners and idlers (??). Charging more if need be.
Spark plugs only, no coil packs for $300 (gasp! They made of unobtainium or what?).
No mention of valve check.

My gut tells me to man up, break out the dusty feelers, learn this wee beastie and get 'er dun. So, wanted to ask any other 'Home Brewers' just how painful this B4 DIY could be - context being I'm outdoors on the double wide driveway (no shop - just floor jack and lots of tools) and haven't done much of anything other than use Japanese engines. Setting myself up for a nightmare or is it just follow the instructions and press on through?

And, what's this about replacing the radiator as a JIC? Can ya fill me in on that idea and history? Should be easy enough if called for, just want to understand the why of it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Its not rocket science but I would say the hardest thing to do without air tools or a lift is getting the crank bolt off...but easy ish doing the starter bump method. Tensioner should be replaced everytime but the orginal idlers can be reused at the first change. BUT..the kits you get aftermarket usually come with everything for cheap. Aisin is the OE manufacturer.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Spark Plugs aren't cheap, but $600 for the install, well I'll just guess that there aren't many Honda Dealers in Wyoming so, there going to do what STEALERSHIPS DO!

$85.00 spark plugs!!!!! a recent spark plug discussion

There are a few threads on DIY Timing Belt changes, I'll add links as I find them

Might want to consider a Radiator Change while your in there, to Avoid SMOD...

Here are most of the related Radiator and Transmission threads if you haven't found them all.

Happy Reading & Good luck

Radiator Fail on 2006

Radiator Failure @ Cooler Lines

Recent Radiator/Transmission SMOD!!!

Pictures of Corroded/Rusted Radiator Fittings

UOA on ATF

Best Radiator Replacement

Anatomy of OEM Denso Radiator

Understanding the transmission cooling circuit

Radiator comparison: Denso/Spectra/OSC

Poll(Never Posted) on Radiator/Trans Cooler Solution

Catastrophic transmission/radiator fitting failure

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
I found a dealership that did my timing belt, water pump and tensioner for $700. I did the spark plugs on my own as I was able to get a set of six OEM NGK plugs from amazon for under $60. Plug change takes about an hour. Why these dealers charge over $20 PER PLUG plus $200 labor to do the job is beyond me. I was like you in that I was going to try to tackle the TB job myself before I found the $700 deal. It was worth it just to have them do it for that price. I was in and out in three hours. Being that you're in central Wyoming, I'm assuming it's a bit more difficult to find a Honda dealership let alone more than one.

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,105 Posts
I kept an eye on three dealers for about 6 months to get their deals and landed on one for a great deal when I had my timing belt, idler and Waterpump replaced.
spark plugs were purchased by me and installed by the mechanic I used to go to. I also had him change all the brakes lines to SS lines (the ones I got as well) and he charged me $120 for installing the plugs, changing the lines and bleeding the brakes.
If it was me, I would surely get the dealership, whoever is cheaper, to get the timing belt stuff done and be at ease that if anything screws up, the dealership will have to fork out the cost of rectifying the situation. As for the plugs, if you have a decent local shop, they could do it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts