Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

I have a 2006 RL that just broke 100k miles. Wooo!!

The notice for my B4 service due just came up on the computer yesterday.

My question is…How long from when this light comes on do I have to get the service done? Is there any way to tell how close I am or a general time frame that it needs to be completed by.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thank You

·
Registered
950 Posts
Since nobody replied;I hope your sitting down.
B is oil and filter with tire rotation.
4 is the BIGGIE!
Plugs,timing belt,water pump,tensioner and a valve check.
Usually the MM will give a 1000 mile warning depending on
your driving conditions.
Probably talkin a grand.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have been looking at used RLs and most have around 90 to 135k on them. A lot are at Honda dealers and when I ask if the timing belt and water pump have been changed they tell me according to the service dept they don't need it till 125k. This is from three different Honda dealers telling me the same thing. I worked at a Honda dealer and a few others and I know service dept does what ever to make the sale that's how you get paid. I also know I had a accord wagon with the V tech 4cyl that I bought with 75k miles on it and when I sold it it had close to 180k on it and I never had any mech issues nor did I change the belt. I do know the car is still on the road and I sold it probably 10 yrs ago.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,123 Posts
According to the OM the TB should be changed at 60k miles if you are in severe service conditions:

Otherwise, expect the -4 code alert at the OCI just prior to the 105k mile mark.

If you've had your RL since new, you've most likely had good service to this point. This is the most costly service on the RL and you should plan for the TB, water pump, tensioner pulley, perhaps the serpentine belt and tensioner pulley, spark plugs, valve adjustment, and this would also be a good time to replace the radiator and possibly the O2 sensors as well.

Pricey... probably $1500-$2000-ish, but if you've had good service to date, you haven't been being nickled and dimed to death either. If you bought it used, hopefully you made or will make it up in reliability, long service life, and retained value.

Many have run the TB much further than 105k. To my knowledge, there's been only one report of a TB failure here at the ROC, and that info seemed a bit sketchy. Not sure we had all the detail on that incident.

Yes, the J35 series is an interference engine so if the TB breaks, the repair can be pricey.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have been looking at used RLs and most have around 90 to 135k on them. A lot are at Honda dealers and when I ask if the timing belt and water pump have been changed they tell me according to the service dept they don't need it till 125k. This is from three different Honda dealers telling me the same thing. I worked at a Honda dealer and a few others and I know service dept does what ever to make the sale that's how you get paid. I also know I had a accord wagon with the V tech 4cyl that I bought with 75k miles on it and when I sold it it had close to 180k on it and I never had any mech issues nor did I change the belt. I do know the car is still on the road and I sold it probably 10 yrs ago.
Interesting. I wonder what the dealer service manager would tell you if you brought a RL you owned in with over 100k miles and you asked them what services were needed. I would bet a paycheck the TB would be on the list. I seriously doubt they would tell you to wait till 125K.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Interesting. I wonder what the dealer service manager would tell you if you brought a RL you owned in with over 100k miles and you asked them what services were needed. I would bet a paycheck the TB would be on the list. I seriously doubt they would tell you to wait till 125K.
No doubt, along with a scary story about the huge risk by waiting. Bet a paycheck? It will cost that paycheck. :D

My local dealer charges 700 incl the WP. Not bad.. a grand total to do it all should be in the ballpark.
That's not factoring in a replacement radiator. And the dealer will not likely mention it. It could be the best insurance in the long but only emphasizes the need for DIY to keep costs down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts