Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My saga continues. I don't think the truck gods like me, I've yet to experience one single day with a perfect Ridgeline where everything is working correctly, been almost 3 months now. The latest was to fix my warped cowling and static/crackly radio. They replaced the cowling, no problem, fixed. My radio however is being stubborn.

They previously replaced the head unit and that did fix it for about a week but the day they replaced my windshield it started acting up again. Coincidence? I have no idea. So this time they replaced the whole antenna cable and module. Went in yesterday to pick it up but sadly nothing has changed. Now I'm waiting word on what they want to try next. :(

My rear view camera comes today but I'm starting to have serious doubts if I'll be keeping this truck. I don't want it to be a lemon, I want to keep it as I've put in way too many hours on it already. However, if things can't get fixed and more stuff starts breaking I might have no choice but to give it up. So now I have a rear view camera and radar back up sensors waiting to be installed but I just don't know if I'll be wasting my time or not to do so.

My situation should not scare anyone away though. I think the truck is well engineered and a fantastic ride. I really think I just have half a lemon, a lime if you will. I doubt there's any assembly line for any product that doesn't produce a lemon once in awhile. I still think the Ridgeline is the best out there and if I have to give it up in the end I'd still get another one as I believe I'm just unfortunate to get a rare bad one.

For those curious here's my timeline of issues:
Gouge in wheel - replaced
Dent with cracked paint in door jam - fixed by body shop
Rear window stopped working - fixed broken bracket
Creaky steering wheel - two visits to fix, applied felt on some contact points.
Wind noise - few visits to diagnose try some fixes eventually replacing windshield.
Warped cowling - replaced
Radio static on AM - not fixed yet, head unit & antenna lead/module replaced so far. :confused:

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Sorry to hear you guys have so many problems. :eek:

I've only been in once, but I'm still trying to decide whether to have them work on the windshield or not. It has started whistling at Interstate speeds (didn't hear it at all the 1st week I had it). I may wait until the 1st oil change and have them do both at once. Hope you don't have to leave overnight for a windshield change.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
swampler said:
Sorry to hear you guys have so many problems. :eek:

I've only been in once, but I'm still trying to decide whether to have them work on the windshield or not. It has started whistling at Interstate speeds (didn't hear it at all the 1st week I had it). I may wait until the 1st oil change and have them do both at once. Hope you don't have to leave overnight for a windshield change.
Tough call, I was fortunate to have a Honda engineer looking over the installers shoulders. I'd say if your dealer can get a pre-configured window sent to them then go for it (window comes in about 14 different pieces). I believe American Honda is either doing that now or working on it. Have your dealer check.

By all means if you do get it replaced leave your truck there. It's really best not to drive the truck for 24 hours after the window is installed. This ensures it does not slip out of place while drying.

·
Registered
460 Posts
vertrkr, sorry you are having so many issues. disappointed for you...........and truthfully, makes me a little nervous.....i expected more from honda, especially when they claimed to have researched/developed this truck for 5 years if im not mistaken.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You know I have followed you just about from the beginning of this website, and i really believe that what you are experiencing is just plain bad luck. I love these trucks too, and I too think it is a really great product. Hang in there. I am sure I am not the only one pulling for you

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Vertrkr - I am having Honda make my next truck payment. Call the 800# open an issue and ask to speak to the manager. She will have to investigate how much time you have spent in the dealership. If you have the dates and problems ready to go it will make things easier for them.

In the 2 months I have had my RL it has been in the shop for 30 days.

Tailgate problem (3 days)
Wind Noise (12 days in 3 trips)
Leak (7 days)
Bad Fitting License Plate Light (2 days)
Center Console (1 day)
Bad Clear Coat (5 days)

And everytime I get it back its like getting my car for the 1st time again. I miss my truck :(

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mayfielh said:
Vertrkr - I am having Honda make my next truck payment. Call the 800# open an issue and ask to speak to the manager. She will have to investigate how much time you have spent in the dealership. If you have the dates and problems ready to go it will make things easier for them.

Wow, you've been thru alot too. Indeed, I have already done just that, I'm 3 managers up now and working with others too. I think my name is well known at Honda. Nothing has been offered yet but I've made some suggestions :)

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Good luck Vertrkr. I hope that you can reach Ridgeline 'Nirvana' soon.

·
Registered
297 Posts
mayfielh said:
...In the 2 months I have had my RL it has been in the shop for 30 days.

Tailgate problem (3 days)
Wind Noise (12 days in 3 trips)
Leak (7 days)
Bad Fitting License Plate Light (2 days)
Center Console (1 day)
Bad Clear Coat (5 days)...
Wow, I'm not sure if this makes you feel better vertrkr, or worse, but I think mayfielh's problems are more troubling than your own, particularly the leak & clear coat issues. Not to minimize your own difficulties--but I would have assumed it would be easy enough to fix all of them! Is the dealership competant, or are they just going thru the motions?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
laserfan said:
Wow, I'm not sure if this makes you feel better vertrkr, or worse, but I think mayfielh's problems are more troubling than your own, particularly the leak & clear coat issues. Not to minimize your own difficulties--but I would have assumed it would be easy enough to fix all of them! Is the dealership competant, or are they just going thru the motions?
Certainly I've no intention to make light of his issues or compare mine with anyone else. There's no pleasure in claiming I have more or worse issues than the next guy. I guess I just needed to voice off as a little self-therapy :p

All the issues where easy enough to fix I suppose except for the Radio which is still broken and no one knows what to do next at the moment. The biggest bitch is taking it in so many times in such a short time span. 6 dealer visits really equates to 12 as you have to take time off work to drop it off and then get back there to pick it up. Everyone knows the drill, it's just a plain hassle.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
laserfan said:
My dealership has been great but it is a new vehicle and they have to do what tech line tells them. Tech line wants/needs to try things, ie guinnea pig. It is what it is and like Vertrkr I am on a first name basis with everyone in the shop and getting close with Corp as well.

I love my RL and am not ready to give up on her.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I realize this is a new product and I really, really like it but I am getting "cool" feet. I have my credit union financing all lined up and can even borrow 5,000 more than I want for 6 years and when I sell my car (about 5,000 equity) they will put the extra 5 on the loan and redo the loan for 5 years (60 months) at no charge, so I'm ready to buy but.....

I'm in Taos and Santa Fe is 70 miles away to a very small dealership and Albuquerque is 140 miles away. I can't afford to be doing what vertrkr or mayfeihl are doing.

The Titon is still in the running. Gas mileage really sucks but I haven't heard any bad things about it.

I know it may sound like heresy but does anyone have any first hand info on the Titan? Or should I just go away!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here in Arizona, we have pretty stiff lemon laws. If the "brand new" vehicle you purchased is in the shop more then 30 calendar days, then it's considered a lemon. You might want to check into the lemon laws in your states to see if you have any recourse. I've had small problems, nothing major. Steering wheel mostly. Other then that it's been a solid ride.

I hope you both get taken care of soon.

over

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think it has to be the same problem 3 times here in WI.
I have windshield whistle and steering wheel creak.
Stuff I can live with now.
Sorry vertrkr and mayfielh.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
ridgeman - I have to believe that Vertrkr and I are the exceptions. While there are certainly people out there with some issues most are pretty minor or isolated issues.

My suggestion would be that if the dealer has what you want on the lot check the VIN and make sure the last 6 numbers are 516000 or higher. I have a feeling alot of the early identified bugs are already worked out.

As for my issues my dealership has been VERY responsive and helpful. Each time they have had the car overnight I have either had a rental or a lot car. A couple of the issues that came up were due to the larger issues. I am hopeful that when I get my RL back next week I will not have to see my Service Manager for a very long time.

I still recommend the RL to everyone I see and I still love driving it especially after spending time in either my wife's Acure TL or any rental I have gotten so far.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mayfiehl, vertrkr, when were your trucks made?
Mine was 3-05, vin last 6 numbers 505740.
Does it make a difference if they were made earlier than March?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I think it may. It seems like the higher VINs are experiencing/reporting less serious issues.

My last six are 501145.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We've both very early builds, mine is #983. Our trouble should not be blown out of porportion. 2 trucks with trouble out of some odd 20,000 built now is just an insignificant blip of a sample size to draw any conclusion from.

I should also mention I've been very pleased with the service I've recieved with both the the dealer and cooperate office. They are doing there best to fix everything. I'm just tired of visting the dealer.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
vertrkr said:
We've both very early builds, mine is #983. Our trouble should not be blown out of porportion. 2 trucks with trouble out of some odd 20,000 built now is just an insignificant blip of a sample size to draw any conclusion from.
That's 100ppm. Our target PPM as a supplier to one of our automotive customers is 15ppm. While not an unrealistic problem rate, it should be better.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts