Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
G

·
Hey All,

So I had the post about my new RL making the creaking noise the day after I bought it. I won't bore you with all the details from my last thread but basically the truck was stripped down to the "bare metal" and they claim to have found the issue in the left front fender.

Anyways, after a week (yesterday) they called and said it was finished and they were unable to reproduce the noise. I was excited! So, I go to pick it up yesterday afternoon and as I'm leaving the dealership the noise isn't only back, it's louder and seems to carry throughout the entire left side now. So, the tech rode with again and heard it immediately. I was stunned they ripped it apart, told me it was done, and nothing actually had been taken care of. Pathetic service if you ask me.

So, I got a call from the regional Honda guy who is handling the case. Apparently now it will sit at Honda until the corporate tech comes down to Irvine to look at it. So, who knows how long this circus will continue.

Totally over the truck at this point.

(Moderator note: 2 later threads merged with this one. The first thread got pretty far off track so I let it stand by itself. Keep on topic please)

· Registered
69 Posts
I feel really badly for you. Wonder how that could have happened? Are you sure that Honda trained people are working on your vehicle? Do you think they might be charging other dealers to send in their tech reps to learn how to take the new Ridgeline down to its bones and put it back together? Intended as a joke but am sure you're not seeing anything funny about this. Did they step up and give you a loaner right away? Wonder how long they'll keep it out of operation this time?

· Registered
2,264 Posts
Anyways, after a week (yesterday) they called and said it was finished and they were unable to reproduce the noise. I was excited! So, I go to pick it up yesterday afternoon and as I'm leaving the dealership the noise isn't only back, it's louder and seems to carry throughout the entire left side now. So, the tech rode with again and heard it immediately. I was stunned they ripped it apart, told me it was done, and nothing actually had been taken care of. Pathetic service if you ask me.
Totally over the truck at this point.
its the dealer. you heard it as soon as you starting pulling out and they claimed it was fixed? They are @#$%^&* liars. Call the regional guy and tell him you want your truck. I know it sucks but you know why you love the truck, once the noise is gone the love will come back. lol ok that sounded weird.

· Registered
64 Posts
I think with some of the issues others have had, and their experiences with the dealers and corporate representatives, the importance of DOCUMENTING EVERYTHING cannot be overstated. Hopefully they will take care of you and this issue will be taken care of in a quick manor. But in the event you are in a meeting with the owner of the dealership and a regional representative from Honda, make sure you have all your facts together, documented, and organized.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel really badly for you. Wonder how that could have happened? Are you sure that Honda trained people are working on your vehicle? Do you think they might be charging other dealers to send in their tech reps to learn how to take the new Ridgeline down to its bones and put it back together? Intended as a joke but am sure you're not seeing anything funny about this. Did they step up and give you a loaner right away? Wonder how long they'll keep it out of operation this time?
Yeah, this time they put me right back in the loaner.....A HRZ....boy oh boy it's a hot ride. :act024:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its the dealer. you heard it as soon as you starting pulling out and they claimed it was fixed? They are @#$%^&* liars. Call the regional guy and tell him you want your truck. I know it sucks but you know why you love the truck, once the noise is gone the love will come back. lol ok that sounded weird.
HAHA I get what you're saying! I'd opt for a replacement at this point!

· Registered
328 Posts
I was stunned they ripped it apart, told me it was done, and nothing actually had been taken care of. Pathetic service if you ask me.
Sorry to say it, but this is why I don't bring a vehicle in for creaks/rattles/squeaks etc... They'll only make it worse.

I had a brand new BMW with a wood piece on the door that creaked when you pushed on it (it was the side of the armrest right where you push to open the door). Made my "luxury" car feel like an old POS every time I got out of it.

I brought it in, first they said "car is ready", I came in and the paperwork said "unable to duplicate". This is after I showed the service advisor how easy it was to get the creak by simply pushing on the door. Nothing had changed, it still creaked, they just didn't seem to want to go show the mechanic how. So I went home and the next day they called to say it was fixed. I go back and push on it again and it's literally 3 TIMES LOUDER. I'm just like WTF at this point. Finally had to rip into the GM of the dealership just to get a new piece of wood trim. These dealerships are a joke. I joyfully await the day when they all go out of business and the OEM starts directly handling warranty work.

· Registered
182 Posts
oh how i feel your pain.... Lets hope the district rep doesnt start yelling at you within 2 minutes of your meeting.

· Registered
55 Posts
oh how i feel your pain.... Lets hope the district rep doesnt start yelling at you within 2 minutes of your meeting.
If you have an in person meeting with the district rep or the GM of the dealer, pull out your phone, turn on the voice recorder, and place it on the table and ask them to state their name and title. You will see a distinct change in how seriously you are taken.

· Registered
182 Posts
If you have an in person meeting with the district rep or the GM of the dealer, pull out your phone, turn on the voice recorder, and place it on the table and ask them to state their name and title. You will see a distinct change in how seriously you are taken.
I was going to do this, I think he recorded the convo for his own notes on his laptop. I'm sure they would have terminated the meeting. I would have let it continue recording and say "have something to hide?" :)

Not an issue any more, I'm sure you've been following my previous threads. I sold the RL and i'll never buy another honda thanks to that one particular Honda District Rep. :act027:

· Registered
55 Posts
I was going to do this, I think he recorded the convo for his own notes on his laptop. I'm sure they would have terminated the meeting. I would have let it continue recording and say "have something to hide?"

Not an issue any more, I'm sure you've been following my previous threads. I sold the RL and i'll never buy another honda thanks to that one particular Honda District Rep.
I have actually been lagging a bit and did not realize you already sold your RL. It figures that the former GT-R owner would be the one who points out the cornering hesitation issue. I had been meaning to ask if the hesitation issue occurs if you get all your braking done in a straight line and are on throttle prior to entering the corner?

What's next for you?

· Registered
461 Posts
They make remote ears that you velcro around the vehicle, and tune in to the channel that is making noise. It's been around a long time.

Mechanics of today, especially those in dealerships are completely clueless. Who the hell removes a headliner chasing down a noise? Give me one hour with that truck.

· Administrator
24,886 Posts
The persistent ticking/rattling that sounds like it is coming from inside my driver's door that has been getting worse is actually under the dash. I tilted the steering wheel down then back up a few times two days ago and it has completely stopped...so far. The creaking near the firewall when turning the wheel remained, but curiously stopped yesterday. The entire truck has been bank-vault quiet since then. I hate elusive noises! I like noises that get so bad that something falls off then it's easy to find and fix. Unfortunately, that's almost never the case. Dealers generally aren't as sensitive to noises as owners and as others have pointed out, attempts to fix them often result in louder and/or newer noises. Today, I'm pleased as punch once again with my Ridgeline, but I'm probably just a temperature or humidity change away from the return of the noises. My '16 CR-V had a similar, maddening ticking rattle that I also though was coming from the driver's door. Turned out it was a connector attached to a metal bracket. Physically, it felt very solid, but when I lightly tapped it with my finger I heard the familiar rattle. I wrapped it in foam and never heard it again.

I was somewhat taken back to find the use of pop rivets in several applications on the 2017 Ridgeline, such as the front fenders and the trunk latch. I'm not a fan of pop rivets since they can work loose over time. I prefer screws and bolts that can be re-tightened, if necessary. This is just another example of cost and weight savings.

· Registered
33 Posts
@zroger73, Do you have the lighted steps or the lighted sill guards? The accessory connector for these is in the dash right underneath the far left vent. It is just kinda hanging off one of the harness, and I believe the connector is wrapped in foam. If you don't have either of these, maybe the foam has moved or something, it may be knocking into something. It's fairly easy to get to, there's just several pieces to take off.

· Administrator
24,886 Posts
@zroger73, Do you have the lighted steps or the lighted sill guards? The accessory connector for these is in the dash right underneath the far left vent. It is just kinda hanging off one of the harness, and I believe the connector is wrapped in foam. If you don't have either of these, maybe the foam has moved or something, it may be knocking into something. It's fairly easy to get to, there's just several pieces to take off.
I don't have any electrical accessories. I'm familiar with the connector you're referring too - I saw it while I was poking around under there the other day. It was not wrapped in foam, but it was securely attached and didn't make any unusual sound when I tapped on it. I'll take another look if/when the sound returns. Thanks!

· Registered
328 Posts
The persistent ticking/rattling that sounds like it is coming from inside my driver's door that has been getting worse is actually under the dash. I tilted the steering wheel down then back up a few times two days ago and it has completely stopped...so far. The creaking near the firewall when turning the wheel remained, but curiously stopped yesterday. The entire truck has been bank-vault quiet since then. I hate elusive noises! I like noises that get so bad that something falls off then it's easy to find and fix. Unfortunately, that's almost never the case. Dealers generally aren't as sensitive to noises as owners and as others have pointed out, attempts to fix them often result in louder and/or newer noises. Today, I'm pleased as punch once again with my Ridgeline, but I'm probably just a temperature or humidity change away from the return of the noises. My '16 CR-V had a similar, maddening ticking rattle that I also though was coming from the driver's door. Turned out it was a connector attached to a metal bracket. Physically, it felt very solid, but when I lightly tapped it with my finger I heard the familiar rattle. I wrapped it in foam and never heard it again.

I was somewhat taken back to find the use of pop rivets in several applications on the 2017 Ridgeline, such as the front fenders and the trunk latch. I'm not a fan of pop rivets since they can work loose over time. I prefer screws and bolts that can be re-tightened, if necessary. This is just another example of cost and weight savings.
FYI... my '15 Accord Sport has all kinds of creaks/rattles. It's 16 months old and I baby it. When I get bored one day I'll go noise hunting. I wouldn't expect a 2018 or 19 Ridgeline to be much if any different from the 2017 in this regard.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally Got It Back-3rd Post

Hey Guys:

I figure I'd start a new post as the other two kind of deviated off track.

So, if you've read my other 2 posts, my Ridgeline has been a headache. I had a case with corporate opened, etc.

So, after they fixed it and told me it was done I went to pick it up and the creaking started right away. The regional Honda guy called me yesterday and said they've instructed Norm Reeves Honda not to touch it and they will be sending a field tech down within a week or so. I was upset. Anyways, he states very clearly Honda here is not to touch it. About 15-20 minutes after that yesterday the local Honda dealer called and said it was done and ready to be picked up. Of course, this contradicts everything the regional guy handling my case stated so I relayed this to the service manager. Of course, I've left two messages in the meantime back with the regional rep and he hasn't called back so I went to pick it up today. What a Charlie Foxtrot this has been.

The noise appears gone now, though. Apparently this time with took the "A" pillar apart and the left front fender and "melted a couple bolts together" and readjusted the body. I'm not a mechanic so not sure if that's a big deal or not but, either way, it appears gone. Hopefully this Ridgeline nightmare is over now.

Overall pretty bummed and also sort of disgusted with the communication with all this. It was as if the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing.

· Registered
182 Posts
Re: Finally Got It Back-3rd Post

i feel your pain! when I got corporate involved, they sent some yo-yo down to tell me all my problems were normal. he argued with me within 2 minutes of being in the room and made me sell my ridgeline, after 9 hondas i'll never buy another honda again. i know you've prob read my other posts, but honda, corporate, districts reps can all eat you know what. I think more and more people are finally seeing the light that honda isn't what it used to be. there is no more customer service. all of their facebooks, yelps, etc are all filtered and they will not approve negative comments (the truth).

Reactions: Hillbilly Ridge
G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Finally Got It Back-3rd Post

i feel your pain! when I got corporate involved, they sent some yo-yo down to tell me all my problems were normal. he argued with me within 2 minutes of being in the room and made me sell my ridgeline, after 9 hondas i'll never buy another honda again. i know you're prob read my other posts, but honda, corporate, districts reps can all eat you know what. I think more and more people are finally seeing the light that honda isn't what it used to me. there is no more customer service. all of their facebooks, yelps, etc are all filtered and they will not approve negative comments (the truth) so sad.
Yeah it's crazy. I'm 35 but growing up ALL my family bought nothing but Honda's. They were always known to be solid, long-lasting machines. I've personally owned a Prelude, S2000, a few Civics, 2 Si's, etc. The S2k was awesome, the prelude ran like a dream, but my last 2 civics were a headache and obviously this Ridgeline. The rest of my family stopped buying Honda's in the early 2000's and haven't went back. They were loyal owners since the 70's. I hope the quality comes back.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.