Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mines in for it's 1A service and they gave me an '06 Pilot to dirve with the camera and I'm impressed.

Whose got one, would you buy it again, downsides, upsides,, feedback, is it more than just a toy?

Thanks for anything.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I have both the sensors and the camera. With the back-up camera, I can see the entire cul-de-sac from my garage as I am backing out. This is very helpful because my next door neighbors have 5 kids and they are always running around the block.

I find the sensors useful for those times when I am not looking at the screen but I am getting too close to something as I am backing out.

I got both on my '05 Ody in Sept 2004 and knew that I was going to get both again on the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Zero, do you have the Honda OEM camera? If not, what do you have? I thought that I could get away without a camera or backup sensors but as time goes on, I think that they will pay for themselves. I had to parallel park (which I prefer) downtown in a very tight space with a Miata behind me. As I was getting straightened out in the space I could see the windshield of the Miata but no hood. I really hate parking by ear. A few months ago when I last checked on cameras I spotted two that caught my eye. One mounted on the license plate frame and the other mounted beside the trailer hitch. As I am reminded of the Miata experience, I have to re-visit the camera and / or sensor issue again.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
We've just been talking about this and you will find a lot of good information here:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3468&highlight=back+camera

If you want to see photos of what you can see with and without the back up camera, try this link:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563&highlight=back+camera

It's about the 16th post, so you will have to scroll a bit or go to page two.

If you put back up camera into the search, you will find even more posts with people's impressions of their cameras.

We love our OEM camera and I highly recommend it. It gets WOWS from anyone we show it off to. It's not just a toy, it's an important safety feature. It's also incredibly handy if you ever plan on towing. You can see when you line up the tongue with the hitch.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Ruffles, I followed you link to the other thread. I am very impressed and encouraged by what I read for a lot of reasons. The camera and backup sensor information was good too. I still have access to a lot of camera and CCTV equipment sources from my former business. I may just wire the truck and experiment with various cameras. Then again, getting one that works well and installs easily right out of the box sound pretty attractive. Thanks Truckin' and Zero. I need to spend some more time reading information that has already been posted before I go any further. Thanks, and very well said on your post on the other thread.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Truckin' said:
It's about the 16th post, so you will have to scroll a bit or go to page two.
For future reference, if you want to direct someone to a specific post in a thread, grab the URL of the post number (see that #7 in the upper right corner of this post?) and use that. The window will contain only the single post. Here's an example which refers to the 16th post mentioned above.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8725&postcount=16

It's another nice feature of this forum's software. :)

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Cool. I hadn't even paid any attention to the post number in the corner, let alone that it works as a thread/comment link if you click on it. That is simple and sweet. Ya learn a lot on this forum! Thanks.

I see there's an easy way to get from that specific post back into the entire thread. In the upper right corner of the single reply window there's a link that says Thread: Name of topic that expands it to the whole thread if you want to view all the comments. Excellent.

I wonder how many more capabilities of this forum I'm not using?

·
Registered
141 Posts
The Honda Backup Camera is an excellent addition. Save the installation costs and install it yourself. Some excellent posts on installation exist on this site, read them, and save alot of time. I found the bumper and top panel were not required to be removed. Thanks to those who installed the camera previously and provided useful installation tips.

This is perhaps the most aggressive modification you can make to your Ridgeline. Many things need to be disassembled, and removed to facilitate installation. It's not hard, but it does take time. I suggest allowing two days to complete the installation. Dealers spec the installation at 10 hours. At $80 an hour, that's $800! Think of the additional items you can buy with that money..

You definately, will need two people to reinstall the seat. I got it out ok, but after an hour of trying to reinstall it, I finally asked for help.

Your efforts will be rewarded when you avoid the kid in the back of the vehicle you couldn't see, and not backing into other vehicles. You can see your rear bumper clearly in the camera image, and backing up is no longer an issue.

I haven't painted the camera cover yet, but painting it will definately improve the appearance of the camera installation.

I strongly suggest the backup camera for safety, and confidence that you gain in knowing how far you are from things when backing up.:D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Howdy,

I installed this after market cam because I could not get myself to pay for the Honda cam. This one has it's own 3.5 inch monitor. The box to tie it into the Nav system's in dash LCD was 500 bucks from Honda. Sorry. I felt that was way outa line. I spent less than that for this whole system...Darn near installed!

I'll put the money towards my Leer canopy "Browning" series upgrade.

M

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey Mike,

Tell us more about the camera you installed (brand and anything else you think we should hear). Also, how about a pic of the monitor it uses inside your Ridgeline.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I'm interested in the license plate cam too.

For those who have cameras, do you find that they become unusable, after being on the road for a while, due to rain, snow, ice, dust, salt, etc.? I mean, I know they will need to be cleaned but if they must be cleaned several times per trip to be usable, I don't know if I still want to install one. Thanks for any feedback that you might offer. :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mike B, I found another post from you saying the product was from VizuaLogic but I would like a pic of your screen location and also some of what the camera sees.

Ridged, My wife has the Honda camera in her 2006 Pilot and she picked up the Pilot on 11/10 and it hasn't been washed since and the image from the camera is just fine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi there. Sorry I haven't been back for a bit. 'tis the season right?

I didn't include a shot of the monitor becase I have been having problems with the adhesive that holds it on. The installer said he's never come across this before. But, what else is he going to say? HAH

We don't have a common opening in our schedules until this Wens. He said he has all new mounting stuff for me. I have zero complaints about the system. It's his install that is the problem. That will soon be remedied and I'll re-post a shot or two of the dash.

The cam is the Visualogic brand you mentioned. I drove it in rain and light snow without feeling the picture quality suffered. What does affect it, and I suppose any cam, is glare off wet pavement at night. But I say that from watching the screen when I should be paying attention to driving down the road......Hey! It's pretty cool. I can't help it!

It has a switch it allow you to have it on all the time, like another rear view mirror, or only when reverse is engaged. I imagine that when the back up lights are on and you are in reverse heading towards your trailer hitch, the picture would be fine at night because the glare from streetlights would be gone.

What I should have done, in hindsight, is bought this cam AND the box that Honda makes to connect a back up cam to the Nav system. I regret it somewhat now, but at the time I felt the 500+ bucks for the component was a typical Dealership rip-off. :( One day I may still do it.

I like the cam on this alot better then the factory off-centered version. No offense to anyone. I'm just a symetrical kinda guy... :D

I know a couple of you have installed the factory cams yourselves in a centered location and they look great there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts