Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

back up camera

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Elkhunter 
#1 ·
Want to install a back up camera on my 07. Any advice on brand and install. Wired verse wireless, and monitor on dash or clip on over rear view mirror.

#2 ·
Kills me to see a post sitting here unresponded to. There is a whole mess of information on this topic already posted. Recommend using search, you'll find more info than you care to read.

FWIW: general comments from an installation geek/RL fan:
- Make up your mind ahead of time what you want. Meaning: wireless interconnect saves lots of disassembly work but comes with baggage like powering the transmitter in the rear and where/how to install the receiver up front. There are kits and systems for universal installation, but most of the time, they still require some custom work to complete. These are not trivial matters and require forethought. At least to my way of thinking.

- Are you handy with electrical & mechanical stuff in general? IMO: too many hobbyists take on projects they have no basic knowledge of. Only you know what you are capable of & confident when taking on any project.

- Your camera options are somewhat limited. License plate frames designs are easy to install and place them right where they belong, but is the visual OK with you? Your choice. From there, using the tailgate handle option is a clean way to simulate a factory system (search, you'll see what others have done). And you can always drill a hole in the tailgate to accommodate the camera of your choice (I wouldn't do it myself, too many long term issues). Ultimately, everything is based on your level of skill & confidence.

- Options for displays up front are all over the map. A dedicated display hidden in the sun glass holder has been done. So has a small LCD above the factory mirror. There are replacement mirrors with built in LCD that are cool too. Or perhaps you have a an after market stereo that allows camera input? Ultimately... personal preference for cosmetics, functionality and your skill determine which direction to take.

#3 ·
If you are looking for recommendations, I went with this and love it:

Pyle PLCM4500 Rearview Backup Camera & Monitor System, Waterproof Night Vision Cam, 4.3'' Pop-Up Display, Distance Scale Line Parking/Reverse Assist, Angle Adjustable Swivel Cam

{ }

$60 on Amazon

A couple of pics:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9UTe8UYCTXdVVoxOHA0eXFYMGc/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9UTe8UYCTXdbmRNNXozS25mM2M/view?usp=sharing

It is a Wired System and I will say you will need to be at least somewhat technical to do the install. I am not technical, but my dad is. Some of the things you will need to know or BE COMFORTABLE with doing:

1) Running wire from the license plate camera on backbumper underneath the truck up to the front of the truck..taking out grommets in floor board and connecting wire to the pop up video unit
2) Splicing your reverse lights- Camera is only engaged in Reverse, so this is necessary
3) Patience in doing the install- took a while to get going

I pretty much leave the unit "popped up" all the time and it really helps when you are backing into spaces or crowded parking lots. You do have the ability to "pop it down" if you so desire too. The camera sits on the dash by way of 3M adhesive. Good luck in your search.

#4 ·
Also, the license plate camera is somewhat sensitive to water (rain is fine) but I ruined one with a pressure washer hose, so when I take it to the Car wash i cover it with a small grocery bag like a Kroger or Wal-mart sack so it doesn't get wet. Other than that, no issues whatsoever.

#5 ·
I was having the same dilemma, until I got an email from Garmin one day. I have always used Garmin GPSs (note the email from them). But they had just released a new product which is the wireless backup camera. It just so happens that it was compatible with my GPS model and with a coupon form Best Buy picked up the BC-30 https://goo.gl/P5Qert and installed it that afternoon. Mounted the wireless receiver under the vehicle on the left side up as high as we could get it and spliced the wiring into the trailer hitch wiring. For the price it is exactly what I needed. It does have a little slow refresh rate so you need to back up a slow (and safe) but it more than does the trick vs pulling the whole truck apart to install a wired system. This was paired great with the Blazer C8020 Back-Up / Utility Light from Amazon http://goo.gl/g4rpBn.

#7 ·
I just installed the Yada wireless system (picked it up at Autozone for $99 with a coupon) last Saturday. It took me 15 minutes to wire the camera into the towing harness. I used the backup wire (yellow) and the common for the circuit. Camera mounts on top of license plate and is held in place with adhesive and the mounted license plate. It has a standard windshield/suction cup mount. Camera is waterproof and you can see just as well at night. I'll update as time goes on, but it works great.

#8 · (Edited)
I would also second the "search" tool. There have literally been more than 1000 posts on this subject going back to 2006. You'll see what cameras others have used as well as how they installed them. You'll see the issues they've had and how others have worked through them. You'll save yourself some headaches.

For example, some cameras have a tighter voltage tolerance than others so where you hook it up - power wise - or how you modify/ regulate your voltage, can extend the cameras life expectancy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.