Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Ridge w/ Navi. Do we have to order the back up camera from Honda (H and A) or can we get away with ordering one from somewhere else (say one that goes around the license plate). I guess my issue is if we have to do the Honda upgrade so it's just a plug and play in the navi system or will an aftermarket back up camera work with our navi? Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Do some searching on the site. If you pull all the right bits and pieces together you can get an aftermarket camera setup to work fine.

I also have an '06 and I opted to go for the Honda camera because I like OEM quality electronics.

It will work either way but you will need to a bit of research if you decide to go non OEM. Folks have even posted how to install using wireless cameras.

·
Registered
309 Posts

^you can do this if you want.
I have an 07, so it's the same as your truck.

what I bought to do the job:

The "attachment kit" from Honda:
08B21-SJC-102 ATTACHMENT, REARVIEW CAMERA
($114.81)

An aftermarket camera from ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Wide-Range-...6313&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262#ht_2759wt_939
New Wide Range 1.7mm Car Rearview Camera Backup 150 ° seller is: edogpro
($~60)

A 2009 Ridgeline tailgate handle assembly with the hole for the camera built in.
I got it in Billet Silver to match my paint perfectly, the Billet Silver info is:
74810-SJC-A21ZC HANDLE ASSY., TAILGATE (UPPER) (CAMERA)
($23.16)

and I needed like 6 feet or so of 18-20 gauge wire to finish the job correctly.
I used the instructions from H and A and made a couple minor tweaks.
the tweaks are outlined in other posts I have here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
MMsTRL......
How is your back up camera working.

I was going to buy the old style cam from Honda then my neighbor just brought home a new 09 with unit built into the handle.
I see that you have recreated that new style and it looks great.

You stated that you had to make a few mods. Do you have a link to that thread?

good work..

·
Registered
309 Posts
howdy.
my camera works great! perfect actually.

links below:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=427162&postcount=15

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=429915&postcount=14

basic rundown:
buy attachment kit from Honda
buy aftermarket camera
buy about 10ft of 18-20 gauge wire
buy 09 tailgate handle in your color
buy whatever you choose to splice wires (taps, solder, plugs, etc)
^http://www.mmxpress.com/technical/connections.htm

then as per the instructions that honda gives you, take everything apart.
the camera basically fits right into the tailgate handle, and the tailgate
handle is a direct swap with the original, very easy. you may need to lightly
sand the inner part of the hole to get the camera to squeeze in.

the video line will run all the way to the cab, it's long enough. but you'll
have to extend the power wire for it's not very long, that's what the extra
pieces of wire is for.

once in the cab, the video and the power wire for the camera just get
spliced into the factory sub-harness that comes with the attachment kit.
so instead of making a plug and plugging it in, you're cutting a plug and
connecting/soldering some wires.

the rest is just per the oem instructions as far as where to put the wires,
where to tie them, how to take stuff apart, all that. the instructions are
quite solid.

it takes lots of time to take apart the truck and put it back together. running
the wires and connecting them takes less time in my opinion. the whole job
will take you from 3 to 8 hours probably.

·
Registered
452 Posts
help me out. if I order the "attachment kit", the new handle with the built in camera hole (from the dealer), and the Honda camera from H and A (2006-2008 type backup cam on the tailgate) will all that fit together to equal a workable cam?

·
Registered
309 Posts
help me out. if I order the "attachment kit", the new handle with the built in camera hole (from the dealer), and the Honda camera from H and A (2006-2008 type backup cam on the tailgate) will all that fit together to equal a workable cam?
um maybe.
the honda camera doesn't quite fit in the 09 tailgate handle from what
I read. it needs a little bit of its own modification. but if you can figure
that small hurdle out, you should be fine. that's an awful lot to pay for
a camera though.

·
Registered
452 Posts
thanks. maybe I'll go ahead and get the aftermarket nav system, then get a compatible camera with that system and the mount. I wasnt thrilled about splitting the cable and trying to splice etc. I was gonna tear down the bed and do the camera first but thats prbably backwards! I have a canopy which I use a lot to carry wet kayak gear (low rear visibility) and I have decided that springing for the cam/nav is cheaper than backing into someone or running over someone's kid at the grocery store.

·
Registered
83 Posts
MMsRTL...

Thanks! I was inspired by you guys who installed the camera into the '09 handle, and I did it as well on my '08 RTL. I actually already purchased the oem camera unit (damn, should have waited and read these posts first)... but anyway, it was all Honda plug and play for me.

My concern though, is I am wondering how much wide angle view we can ge from aftermarket cameras vs. oem.

Can you guys post some pics of what the reverse camera is showing? I'm mostly interested in the oem handle point of view, but others are most welcome. Currently, I see some of my bumper steps, and almost up to the horizon. I wish it was angled up a tad more. I also wish I had more side to side field of view. Please post aftermarket camera views!

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
If anyone needs a harness fabricated for inputting the camera signal into the factory nav, I have made a few for folks on here. Just shoot me an email to discuss. Thanks.

-Robert
slcvr6 -at- earthlink -dot- net

·
Registered
233 Posts
Here's the Boyo one I got off of EBAY for $100. total cost with plug and wire was under $120. Took about three hours start to finish. Picked up plug from local electronics store with pins to plug into nav unit for less than $5. Saved hundreds doing it myself, and the camera definitely serves it's function well. The viewing range is 130 degrees and catches both corners of the bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
RearView.JPG

Here is the view from my handle camera. It is the Ebay 150 degree camera. It works great for spotting how close things are directly behind you, but it doesn't quite catch the corners.I have thought about opening up the tailgate and trying to adjust it so it shows less bumper, but I don't know if if there is anything to adjust.

·
Registered
452 Posts
JP422, did I understand your post that the older OEM camera fit the 2009 tailgate handle mount? did you have to modify it at all?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Here's a better picture of the "less than $120" setup you can do with the boyo license plate camera. Btw, this was an early morning shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
What are your options for a screen if you dony have built in Navi? I know you can get a camera on bumper by plate but how about a portable screen?

·
Registered
233 Posts
BJ's has a wireless setup with a small screen for $175

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
What are your options for a screen if you dony have built in Navi? I know you can get a camera on bumper by plate but how about a portable screen?
I got one off of Amazon for about $80 with a 7in screen. It's a Peak Safety View and it hooks on your license plate. Ive had it for about a week or so and I have no complaints yet. I am not very mechanically inclined and it was hooked up in about an hour with the help from a friend. :D

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got an estimate today to install an OEM back up camera. $982. WHOA! Combine that with the more than $300 for the camera and attachment itself, and it looks like I'll be trying a different set up!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't have Navi in my RL, I like the idea of the screen in the mirror. I wish I could have that with a camera built into the rear handle. Any luck finding that setup? :act010:

1 - 20 of 228 Posts