Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked my new ridgeline yesterday and immediately decided that I require back up sensors (vision very limited). Can someone please advise re experience with these? Cost is high but if they do the job I will invest in them. Also - would the Honda accessory be the way to go or is there an after-market. I am in Ontario Canada.

Help / advice appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,

I got the same problem on the rear vision. That's why I had mine in the shop yesterday for putting the back up camera, roof rack, running board and hood deflector. The camera would really kill me as the cost of almost close to $1000 installed. But i think it's worth it with the Navi. God, i love the Navi sooo much and it's so cool.

Steel blue EX-L Navi in Vancouver, B.C

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
maybearidge said:
Does the camera come through the NAVI screen????

I hate the way the camera looks on the back..
Yes, the Honda back-up camera is only available with the Navi option.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not have nav so the sensors are the only way I can go - anyone with experience with them - is there an after market or do I go with Honda. Need some advice please.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
amazonEX-L said:
I do not have nav so the sensors are the only way I can go - anyone with experience with them - is there an after market or do I go with Honda. Need some advice please.
Thanks
I'm almost done installing some $99 backup sensors. I've tested they work in a semi-installed state. I just need to finish up mounting the screen/speaker in the dash and then I'll fully test and right up my findings. Probably sometime this weekend if I can get my kids to nap for a while.

·
Registered
200 Posts
AmazonEX-L,

There is a wireless set available, vertrkr installed them on his ridge, however he could not get them to, thought it was a bad board and was ordering another. You may want to touch base with him, as the install is a lot easier, and the unit was only $99.00. Hopefully he has his new board and can now say if they are worth the price.

Search the form for wireless and you should find the thread.

Where in Ontario are you?

amazonEX-L said:

Thanks

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
amazonEX-L said:

Thanks
I have the Honda back up sensor accessory. So far it has saved me once...and I am happy with the functionality of the accessory. Be aware that the backup sensor are black and at this time there is none available to match any body color...I guess Nighthawk black might match.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
delphi7x10 said:
AmazonEX-L,
There is a wireless set available, vertrkr installed them on his ridge, however he could not get them to, thought it was a bad board and was ordering another. You may want to touch base with him, as the install is a lot easier, and the unit was only $99.00. Hopefully he has his new board and can now say if they are worth the price.
Actually turned out it was not a bad board. I just had the polarity wrong going into the board. Once I discovered that they started working. Anyway, as I mentioned when I'm fully done with the install I'll create a new thread with pics and details.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am in Mississauga - I will try to get additional info from vertrkr when available. May just go with the factory unit. I do want to know how effective they are - are they worth the investment?

Search the form for wireless and you should find the thread.

Where in Ontario are you?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the amazon green - will the black be a problem? Comment appreciated.

I have the Honda back up sensor accessory. So far it has saved me once...and I am happy with the functionality of the accessory. Be aware that the backup sensor are black and at this time there is none available to match any body color...I guess Nighthawk black might match

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the back up sensors installed 2 days ago. They work well but require getting use to . 1st they are loud very time you put the truck in Reverse a single loud tone goes off for 1 sec. Now sometimes as you put it in drive you shift passed Reverse and there goes the tone .Can be a bit shocking (my wife hates this) .2nd the start beeping very 2 sec. when you are 6 feet from an object big enough to refect the signal from the sensors ,this includeds straight behind you and off the corner of the truck . Yes the side sensors detect objects behind and slightly to the side of the truck. These work with the tailgate down (IMPORTANT FEATURE) . The middle 2 sensors are changed to emit tone when 3 feet from tailgate, when the tailgate is down . At 3 feet the beeping is every 1 sec. then 1 foot it is a constant tone .
Now are they worth $775.00 that I paid from them to be installed ?
That is the thing about safty features you hope you never need them . But if you do how much would you pay if you hit something or someone .
I never had to be saved by airbags and I pray to God I never will but I would never owne a car without them .

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
From the company that vertrkr ordered his LCD unit from--I was surprised at the number of different types available, and these of course are only a sampling. Of particular interest is the color LCD embedded in the rearview mirror!

I think I want sensors also, not sure what to order yet:

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/paasvebase.html

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
laserfan said:
From the company that vertrkr ordered his LCD unit from--I was surprised at the number of different types available, and these of course are only a sampling. Of particular interest is the color LCD embedded in the rearview mirror!
I think I want sensors also, not sure what to order yet:
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/paasvebase.html
Me too, picked the one I like best. Figured I couldn't lose with the price, could always install the Honda one later if they didn't work out. Certainly the Honda ones are most likey high quality but the technology has matured so much for this I'm not sure there's much a difference anymore. The Honda one defintely have the edge being able to work with the tailgate down without false signals but I rarely if ever haul with the gate down and if I do there is a mute button on mine. Still don't know how my cheapo's work in the real world yet, stay tuned.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Conchflats - Thanks for the pic of your sensors. I am getting them installed on my silver RTL, and was wondering how obtrusive the black sensor would be on the sliver bumper. It doesn't look bad at all. With the rear visibility of this truck, I think these sensors are a very good idea.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
AHart said:
Conchflats - Thanks for the pic of your sensors. I am getting them installed on my silver RTL, and was wondering how obtrusive the black sensor would be on the sliver bumper. It doesn't look bad at all. With the rear visibility of this truck, I think these sensors are a very good idea.
I agree...I had mine installed the day after I bought my RTL. You will get accustomed to the loud tone...but for newbies it can be annoying.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Re:Terry, about your camera.....

I would like to know how large your "field of view" is on the camera. Please inform us how it looks on the screen, etc. I have wanted the camera although either time consuming to install or paying honda about $800.00 labor like you mentioned. Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
If anyone has the camera installed, posting a pic of it would be helpful. I too am wondering about getting the camera, but am concerned it will look out of place mounted on the tailgate.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts