Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I just getting old or what! :eek: I am having a hard time backing this truck into a parking space. I don't have any problem with the sides, but I do have a problem with judging the distance (either looking through the back window or using the mirrors) from the rear bumper to the object (car, guardrail, wall) I am backing up to. I think it's the "taper" of the bed from the wheel wells back. I know it's new for me, but invariably I leave a huge space behind when I think I am really close. I know, get a back up camera is what some of you will say, but right now I don't have one of those. Does anyone else seem to have this problem? I think I am going to have to "practice" in my driveway! Still love the truck, no cracked windshield, no "stuck" not an ashtray compartment but a nice new scratch from bicycle handlebars. :( Anyway, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can't say I have tried to back into to many spaces yet but I have a problem backing out of driveways with the blindspot created by the rear passenger headrest.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
I have some what of the same problem and I use to drive school buses! If you know you have enough space to get your Ridge in the space, the rest is just patients. However in February, when I get my tax rerturn, I will have the rear view camera installed to assist in that situation! ;)

·
Registered
257 Posts
HA HAHHAHA So funny you started this thread. I just parked in garage downstairs at work and I said to myself " Man, I can't judge the distance very well" I had to open my door, hand on the side while backing up to get close.

HAHAHHA O man. I would like to have something that " Beeps" as I get close.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ya, some of the same problem (opening the door and hanging out to see how much room is left and then leaving a lot) but I have a crossed eye (hence not much depth perception) so just thought i was a weird one :eek:

Didn't seem to have that problem with my T100. Go figure. Maybe my lazy eye is just getting lazier - damn!! growing old is no fun :p

·
Registered
104 Posts
No one ever sits in the back seat of my RL so I've removed the rear headrests to improve rear visibility. I have done this in all my vehicles.
I have some difficulty judging rear distance when backing up.
One of Honda's several explanations for the shortened height of the tailgate was to improve rear visibility.
I backup slowly and carefully, and check the distance if needed by exiting the vehicle. The last thing I want to hear is a "crunch" ... :(.

The backup sensors should have been standard equipment in the RTL.
I don't like the idea & cost of taking the RL apart now to install them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree. It is (was) very hard to see when backing up. So....I bought and installed the rear view camera - took about 6.5-7 hours. Nice Saturday project. Works really welll - I love it so far.

Makes backing up a piece of cake. I got the camera for $340+tax with no labor costs.

If you are looking for a good project installing the camera isn't too bad - just takes some time. Not much cutting or drilling and the instructions are really well done. To me paying $400 - $650 for labor was hard thing to try and swallow.

Most of the time is for taking the truck apart and being cautious about not loosing parts and then putting it back together. No special tools needed (just some Torx bits - T40 and T50)

BTW - no extra parts left over and everything works really well. :)

- Seattleridge

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
Delrio said:
Can't say I have tried to back into to many spaces yet but I have a problem backing out of driveways with the blindspot created by the rear passenger headrest.
Delrio, the rear headrests are easy to remove, just push the button and lift off. I just took mine off to wash the rear window, and left them off...stored under the seat. Rear view is better.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just keep practicing. I back mine in everyday at work in a parking garage. The more you do it the better sense you will have of how close everything is.

·
Registered
430 Posts
For kicks and grins I did a search on eBay for Honda Ridgeline and found a back up sensor that I liked. I may be getting one. The things I liked about it are that it was visual, no beeping, and that it appears rather unobtrusive. I think it may also subconsiously remind me of the KIT car from Knightrider. :p

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
You might want to search the forums for vertrkr's experience with a $99 backup sensor kit. Not good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts