Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I just got a 2010 Ridgeline and I'm loving it! One thing I noticed though is that it has a backup camera installed in the tailgate handle, looks like it's OEM, but it has no screen anywhere to view it.

Not sure what events may have led to this situation, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I could take advantage of that camera and maybe install something to view it and use it with?

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,433 Posts
What trim level do you have; RT, RTS, or RTL (with or without nav.)? I understand you don't have a nav. unit now, but maybe it did before the previous owner pulled it out. Knowing the difference would be helpful.

For now, I will assume it's a trim without nav; however, it sounds like you have the RTL w/ nav. tailgate latch. If I read that correctly, you have two options, as I see it:
1) Replace the head unit with a double-DIN unit that has a camera display feature.
2) Replace the rearview mirror with a 2013/2014 model year version, which has the built-in rearview camera monitor; you can only see the monitor when it's activated (it's pretty cool).​

Of course, if it's not an RTL w/ nav, you will probably need to run a lot of wire.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm curious to hear why you have the back-up camera and no display. Hopefully you have the rear-view-mirror display as shown by McChizzle, and just haven't noticed it yet.

Just brainstorming here, but is another possibility that you have a wireless camera intended for display on a smartphone???

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,433 Posts
PaulusGrandis,

Just so we're all on the "same sheet of music," does your tailgate handle look like this with the camera on the right-side of the handle housing?

09_Ridgeline_037.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,333 Posts
I actually purchased one of those "handles" for my 2008 RTL w/o NAV, but never got it installed (sold it to another RL owner). I would assume the previous owner installed an aftermarket head unit and ran the wire for the backup camera. Then removed the head unit when he sold the truck and put the OEM unit back in. They did the OP a favor by running the wire.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Wireless backup camera to use with smartphone?? Hmmm
Didn't know such things existed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
I'm curious to hear why you have the back-up camera and no display. Hopefully you have the rear-view-mirror display as shown by McChizzle, and just haven't noticed it yet.

Just brainstorming here, but is another possibility that you have a wireless camera intended for display on a smartphone???
Who Knew!

Wireless backup camera to use with smartphone?? Hmmm
Didn't know such things existed!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously, we didn't! But ISO, did...

Seriously, have you seen/used one of these, wondering what the quality of the image is, and if it can maintain connection/comunition with an iPhone or Android, if one is better than the other.

·
Registered
784 Posts

Seriously, have you seen/used one of these, wondering what the quality of the image is, and if it can maintain connection/comunition with an iPhone or Android, if one is better than the other.
Sorry, no, no firsthand experience. But I have heard about them through some boating forums I participate in, because a lot of us trailer boats and these cameras can even be attached at the tail end of the boat/trailer to provide a rear view (that is otherwise blocked by the boat/trailer.)

Like anything, there is debate about whether this is the best solution for trailering. Smartphones have a lot of other functions, and it seems many feel a dedicated screen/display that provides the rearview 100% of the time (essentially substituting for a rear view mirror) is a better approach. Fortunately wireless systems exist that have their own dedicated screens/displays, so it's an option.

But I would think for occasional back-up assist (i.e. when not trailering), using the smart phone as a display would be acceptable.

Reactions: McChizzle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What trim level do you have; RT, RTS, or RTL (with or without nav.)? I understand you don't have a nav. unit now, but maybe it did before the previous owner pulled it out. Knowing the difference would be helpful.

For now, I will assume it's a trim without nav; however, it sounds like you have the RTL w/ nav. tailgate latch. If I read that correctly, you have two options, as I see it:
1) Replace the head unit with a double-DIN unit that has a camera display feature.
2) Replace the rearview mirror with a 2013/2014 model year version, which has the built-in rearview camera monitor; you can only see the monitor when it's activated (it's pretty cool).​

Of course, if it's not an RTL w/ nav, you will probably need to run a lot of wire.
The trim is RT.

Also, there is some residue above the current rear-view mirror that suggests there was something else there before, perhaps one of these rear-view camera mirrors?

PaulusGrandis,

Just so we're all on the "same sheet of music," does your tailgate handle look like this with the camera on the right-side of the handle housing?

View attachment 284937
And yes, it looks exactly like the picture you posted, except a different color :)

From all the reports I looked at before purchasing the vehicle, there were no reports of accident or damage to it, or the tailgate being replaced.

Is there something easy I can look for to determine if the camera is actually wired to the cab in some way?

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Is there something easy I can look for to determine if the camera is actually wired to the cab in some way?

Thanks again!
I would start by looking at the tailgate to see if there are any wires exiting from the tailgate handle camera. Wires for lights etc are routed at the bottom left hand corner of the tailgate. If you see more than one bundle, follow the second one to see where it goes. Look under the left (or right) floorboard by the doors to see if there is some wires heading towards the front. If the camera wires were routed under the rug it might be harder to follow them. You could look under the front dash to see if wires are coming up from under the rug towards to rear view mirror. They would probably be routed to the left or right sides of the windshield. Unscrew the sunglass holder to see if wires are tucked up there also. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
The trim is RT.

Also, there is some residue above the current rear-view mirror that suggests there was something else there before, perhaps one of these rear-view camera mirrors?

And yes, it looks exactly like the picture you posted, except a different color :)

From all the reports I looked at before purchasing the vehicle, there were no reports of accident or damage to it, or the tailgate being replaced.

Thanks again!
If your tail gate handle looks anything like this, then, yes, your RT has an after market camera rig. That's where I put my camera when I scrapped the Navi in favor of an iPad for navigational purposes. Installed camera for an Alpine head unit in 2013 and later changed that out for an Alpine with CarPlay head unit in 2015. So I've been on the same camera--much like you describe--for 4 years:

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts