Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a fair share of searching and so far haven't come up with any threads on this, so here goes.

My RL has a backup camera and I'm wanting to hack it to where I can use it while in drive. It won't always be necessary but I'd love to push a button and get my rear view when switching lanes in traffic or at night or whenever really. I'm sure this question has been asked before and I'm sure there is a way to do it.... Right?...

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Just a word of caution. If you send power to the camera to turn it on you will be sending power to the backup lights as well. I am in the process of putting my back up camera (after market one) together to put in and my plans are to have a small 12v dc relay in line to prevent the backup light from coming on when moving forward when I want to take a peek to the rear...

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
bet you could just eliminate the reverse trigger and hot wire it to a switch a switch. should be easy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just recently installed a the pioneer avh-p4400bh stereo and a cheapo amazon wireless backup camera. What I did was wire the camera to 12v power so it was able to be always on. Then I tapped into the reverse power wire and connected it to the reverse power of the stereo. That way whenever I put the car in reverse the unit would still switch over to the camera, while yet being accessible at anytime while driving.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same question. I have an 09 with the factory navi and backup camera. I'm looking for a hack that will turn on my reverse camera when in drive so I can keep an eye on the trailer while towing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i want to know if this is possible also...because i want to install my aftermarket double din and have it tap into the stock reverse camera and look back when ever i wanted also

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
bet you could just eliminate the reverse trigger and hot wire it to a switch a switch. should be easy
Hello? Anyone there?

As I said a few posts up, if its a 12v trigger, couldn't you just tap into a 12v supply, then a toggle switch, then to HU?

Camera would then be on anytime toggle was in the "on" position.

Reactions: DJ_lithium

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just recently installed a the pioneer avh-p4400bh stereo and a cheapo amazon wireless backup camera. What I did was wire the camera to 12v power so it was able to be always on. Then I tapped into the reverse power wire and connected it to the reverse power of the stereo. That way whenever I put the car in reverse the unit would still switch over to the camera, while yet being accessible at anytime while driving.
If it's always on, why tap into the reverse wire? When you start up, it's on, right? When you reverse, it should still be on, without any tap on the reverse wire, no? If this is the case, could you also add a front bumper camera with a toggle in between?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I drive a large fire Dept ladder truck (about 42 feet long) which is equipped with a backup camera. There is a button on the monitor that lets you turn it on while in drive and driving forward. I don't know the make off hand, but it was installed at the factory when the truck was new.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
I'd rather buy and aftermarket wireless one and mod it instead of messing with the factory camera and wiring harness.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Installing a diode the positive line after the camera the straight to the reverse light line might work , diode act like a 1 way valve.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've done exactly what you are seeking to do on my 2008 RTL / Navi. All you need to do is to provide power to the Navigation (or backup light line for aftermarket stereos) via a diode such a 1N914. You will also need to add a diode to the factory control input, basically making an OR type arrangement.

Both of the diodes cathodes (the side with the band) are connected together and point towards the stereo / nav unit.

Being able to power the camera while parked or in motion is nice when you have the rearview blocked by a trailer or something large in the bed.

You can also intercept the video input line at the unit under the seat for the factory Nav and put a video switch there to give you other camera inputs if desired.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is for a 2008 Factory navigation system. If you are not comfortable soldering in tight quarters, might want to get some help or use crimp type splices.

Under the drivers seat, locate the nav DVD unit. From the rear, locate the connector that matches the wire colors in the picture. The green corner wire being energized with 12V tells the NAV unit that the car is in reverse. Cut that wire and install a diode as shown in the picture. Add a second diode, with the cathode connected to first diode's cathode. In the picture, the second diode has already been covered by heatshrink tubing, but you can see it's outline underneath and the green wire sticking out that obviously isn't part of the wiring harness. Applying 12V to that green wire will turn on the rear camera & screen. Everything else will function as normal.

Sorry I don't have the connector ID or pins, but I don't have my notes or service manual handy. I can provide those tomorrow if you need them.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts