Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long short is that the backup cameras used on base G2 trucks are horrible. The only reason all new vehicles come with backup cameras is because they're mandatory and when something is required most manufactures tend to look for the least costly way to comply.
Can a better quality camera be swapped for the clunker cameras used in base G2 trucks. I have no interest in swapping out the base audio system for the touch screen head unit my 2017 RTL-T used. I think that unit traded its volume knob for a better camera :wink: . All I'd like is a less fish eye wider angle camera that I could install as a plug and play alternative to the mandatory cheapo camera Honda so generously gave us. Any ideas?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps 'horrible' was a bit harsh. Trouble is that the backup cameras I've had in past vehicles were [to me] far superior and I expected better from Honda.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Yea I remember back in 2013 when the quality on the Acura’s and Honda’s were much better, HD quality.
I assume now that the have software controlled back up cameras that change the fish eye look into three different views they had to compromise and go with lower quality images (cheaper and easier to process, software wise).

·
Registered
185 Posts
Long short is that the backup cameras used on base G2 trucks are horrible. The only reason all new vehicles come with backup cameras is because they're mandatory and when something is required most manufactures tend to look for the least costly way to comply.
Can a better quality camera be swapped for the clunker cameras used in base G2 trucks. I have no interest in swapping out the base audio system for the touch screen head unit my 2017 RTL-T used. I think that unit traded its volume knob for a better camera :wink: . All I'd like is a less fish eye wider angle camera that I could install as a plug and play alternative to the mandatory cheapo camera Honda so generously gave us. Any ideas?
I think the fish eye view can be changed....

·
Registered
534 Posts
You tried the three different views?

·
Registered
809 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I think the backup camera is "OK." The resolution isn't great, but during daylight hours it's fine. At night, however, it is grainy and very difficult to see well. I upgraded my backup lights, but that is not enough. The pilot has either a better camera, or the screen is better.

The location of the camera is not great, either. When the gate is down, you watch the pavement.
Aside from these minor gripes, it does it's job as intended. The downward-facing view allows me to back up to my trailer perfectly, every time.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think the quality is fine since I am backing into the driveway and not filming a documentary. By the way, according to Ridgeline parts lists, the same camera 39530-T6Z-A01/A11 has been used on all trims from a 2017 RT to a 2019 Black Edition.

Don't understand complaints about the placement of the camera when the tailgate is down, where else could Honda mount it that wouldn't be affected by tailgate position?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don't understand complaints about the placement of the camera when the tailgate is down, where else could Honda mount it that wouldn't be affected by tailgate position?

I have seen aftermarket cameras mounted to the license plate frame.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No issues here.

You may have to play with the brightness settings of the screen especially like my rtl-t. Night driving dims the screen so I have that at its brightest when reversing at night OR leave the running lights off (when I safely can) while reversing at night.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
You can always get a $15 camera that mounts on the license plate frame, then wore it up to a $60 monitor on your visor or somewhere. Bonus is that you can wire it to run full-time so you don't have to wait for it between shifts.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
In a taillight, near the license plate, or in the bumper, just off the top of my head. Or even in the trim around the rear window.

·
Registered
809 Posts
As with many engineered solutions, some degree of functional compromise is often necessary due to other factors.

I appreciate that the OEM location and viewing options provide a view all the way up to the bumper across it's full width and a 'centered and squared' rather than 'offset and angled' view of my hitch ball for perfect trailer hook-up ease (and ease in perceiving the postion of objects relative to the vehicle), albeit sacrificing functionality with the tailgate lowered

Methinks the mentioned alternate locations would sacrifice those desirable characteristics or require an even more radical fisheye to somewhat retain others.

It's likely possible that, with an array of cams (stereo / mulitplex imaging), a "virtual view" could be created and displayed that is 'virtually' without functional compromise. Price and complexity then being the compromise.

One opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I see the original poster's point. The camera on this truck can be a lot better. The screen seems to have enough DPI (Dots per inch) to be pretty close to HD. However, the camera seems to look as 480P as old phone cameras. As in, not as high definition as most vehicles. My Nissan Cube had aftermarket cheap Amazon 20$ back-up camera, and it looked A LOT better than this truck. And that pains me to say.

But, back to the original subject. Can the camera be replaced with a better quality aftermarket one???

1 - 20 of 42 Posts