Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up a used 2017 RTL-T, and I have to agree that the backup camera is bad... like so bad, there must be something wrong with mine. The image is so blurry that I can see shapes of objects but no detail whatsoever. I will try to post a pic later today.

I previously owned a 2015 Accord, with I assume the same camera, and it was great. I have a 2019 Accord now and that camera is also great.

Can I buy a new camera (just the camera) and easily swap it out?

BTW, loving the Ridgeline so far.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just picked up a used 2017 RTL-T, and I have to agree that the backup camera is bad... like so bad, there must be something wrong with mine. The image is so blurry that I can see shapes of objects but no detail whatsoever. I will try to post a pic later today.

I previously owned a 2015 Accord, with I assume the same camera, and it was great. I have a 2019 Accord now and that camera is also great.

Can I buy a new camera (just the camera) and easily swap it out?

BTW, loving the Ridgeline so far.
My Black Edition has an equally crappy camera. It basically matches the quality of my 2013 Accord Sport. It's usable........but pretty disappointing.

As much as I'd love to do a swap as well, something tells me it's not gonna happen unless it's a 3rd party cam w/ a 3rd party radio.

Another not-so-fun fact -- the 8in radio still has a resolution of either 800x600 or 800x480 -- the same as 2013-era phones. It seems that Nissan, Subaru, Chevy and Mazda like to actually implement modern tech UI/UX into their vehicles while Toyota and Honda have to be dragged by the teeth to get it done.

It's going to be interesting seeing what tech changes happen on the mid-gen refresh soon. The 8in head unit still runs Android KitKat (4.1) and has quite a few slowdowns -- heck it cant even handle rapid volume presses from the steering wheel.

Not too long ago someone took a 2016 Accord radio (w/ AA + CP) and swapped it into a 2014 (non-AA/CP) and it worked almost perfectly. I'll be curious to see how this kind of effort pans out with whatever new radio Honda uses, and what cam upgrades they might do.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
This is what I got today, blank screen with grid lines. Harness looks ok. Problem resolved with a restart, any ideas?
24939948-7975-418F-B011-4DAAC7E5FCA8.jpeg

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nine times out of 10 when that happens, it's a software issue, and the likelihood that Honda will fix it this probably pretty low.

Also couldn't help but notice you have an RTL, so keep in mind you can upgrade to a much nicer head unit with not much trouble, unlike us Black Edition and rtl-e owners

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
It's actually an 2017 RTS with 20k that I don't drive much. Taking it in and out of reverse made no difference, only a restart. This has happened several times now. I like to keep stuff stock but too many intermittent issues with this RL.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yeah it's a shame, It's a combination of piss poor software development and testing, combined with the refusal to adopt new hardware and software.

I have the nicer radio and it's crashed Bluetooth twice, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time until something else crashes on it. It's basically just a super outdated Android tablet

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
This is what I got today, blank screen with grid lines. Harness looks ok. Problem resolved with a restart, any ideas?
"To err is human. To really screw things up you need computers."

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is what I got today, blank screen with grid lines. Harness looks ok. Problem resolved with a restart, any ideas? View attachment 399214
I have had that happen twice on my RTL T. I was able to restore the image by toggling camera modes. Does the radio on yours allow camera view toggling? I see that icon lower left but not sure what it does.

Mike

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
That happened to me. It was the wiring in the tailgate. My Honda shop said it was not uncommon. Fixed it under warranty.
Yikes, my wiring looks good in fact I put extra loom on it. How did yours look? Was yours permanently like that so it didn't work at the dealer? I can see the dealer giving me the good old "could not duplicate."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yikes, my wiring looks good in fact I put extra loom on it. How did yours look? Was yours permanently like that so it didn't work at the dealer? I can see the dealer giving me the good old "could not duplicate."
It stopped working. I took it to the dealer, they fixed it, I went home. Never saw the broken wires. Never paid a cent.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I think the quality is fine since I am backing into the driveway and not filming a documentary. By the way, according to Ridgeline parts lists, the same camera 39530-T6Z-A01/A11 has been used on all trims from a 2017 RT to a 2019 Black Edition.

Don't understand complaints about the placement of the camera when the tailgate is down, where else could Honda mount it that wouldn't be affected by tailgate position?
So that answers my question, "would swapping out the camera from a RTL-E give the RTL the same camera angle (Ie, the E camera does not have the fish eye angle where much of what you see is the opening housing (handle) and the progressive lines that curve. Do all of you agree??

·
Registered
311 Posts
Bottom line is the camera is standard definition. It is a composite signal. The only way to better this would be to have a digital HDMI signal. I am not even sure 3rd party head units offer HDMI inputs for a HD camera. It is what it is. However, my 3rd party (Kenwood) display is much better than the factory one. Just saying.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah it's a shame, It's a combination of piss poor software development and testing, combined with the refusal to adopt new hardware and software.

I have the nicer radio and it's crashed Bluetooth twice, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time until something else crashes on it. It's basically just a super outdated Android tablet
I have 2019 RTL-E and I must say for a 38k new vehicle its infotainment system is pretty much from 2015. I have rode in a Kia sedan with a better infotainment. Mine occasionally just randomly locks up or kicks off CarPlay (tried different cables also). Bluetooth can randomly disconnect also.

Only way to minimize CarPlay disconnects is to turn off Bluetooth when using CarPlay. The backup camera is low resolution but only bugs me at night. Honda is 5 years behind in the infotainment system of vehicles. Don’t ride in a Tesla if you don’t want to look at infotainment system same again.

I have emailed Honda about at least updating the software and talked to dealer but basically I get that Honda doesn’t invest too much energy to updating infotainment systems. Once installed they move onto next years models. I gave up and am glad my truck does all the other things I want great and ride wonderful but I wonder if getting lower trim model and replacing it with aftermarket solution would of been better.

Here’s to hoping my next truck is a Tesla. I wish Honda had a hybrid version of ridge line with a better infotainment suite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 55 of 55 Posts