Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2019 RTL-T, and I like the stock backup camera from Honda.

I tow a small trailer occassionally. I would like to know if there is a way to set up a separate or second camera, so I can see not only in back of the truck, but also in back of the trailer.

Any experience with this?

Thanks

BL
SoCal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for those sites, they show some good products.

But, I should have been more clear. I would like to put a camera in back of the trailer, but use the monitor built in the dash along with it's backup camera.

Any way to tap into that existing system?

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
102 Posts
I have a wireless camera on the back of the Airstream. It came with a screen as well. The camera has a microphone as well so I can hear what is going.

The challenge of taping into the headunit is that is probably closed off to external inputs. I only use mine trailer cam on rare occasions so the second screen works.

Another option would be to look at a GoPro and run that with your iPhone and if possible, Apple Car Play might allow the image to appear on the headunit. I can see that working in theory but haven't tried it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks for those sites, they show some good products.

But, I should have been more clear. I would like to put a camera in back of the trailer, but use the monitor built in the dash along with it's backup camera.

Any way to tap into that existing system?
I'd suspect it is possible to splice in a pair of sockets to the existing harness back by the tail light and rig up a switch(es) that would connect one socket or the other. Then you could buy a second camera identical to the oem camera and attach it to the back of whatever trailer you use. If I towed the same trailer all the time, I might be inclined to give that a try, but I'd have to be pretty motivated.

I think it would be a lot easier to add one of the aftermarket systems.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,728 Posts
.... use the monitor built in the dash along with it's [sic] backup camera.
Even if you manage to 'tap into' the OE cam feed with a switch to toggle between cams, there's the challenge of activating the display if/when you want to use the trailer-cam as a 'rear-view-mirror' when not in reverse.

Just FYI, the "Pro Version" of Honda Hack lists "Open rear camera by one click" as one of its capabilities. I do not know if that's a capability delivered with the Ridgeline implementation, I have no experience with Honda Hack whatsoever, just mentioning for your consideration. That might be a useful capability in conjunction with a trailer cam.

Second FYI, I played with forcing an 'over-ride' (induced false signal) on the transmission reverse indicator input at the RTL-E Audio Module (the 'display' module', aka 'head unit') input and that did not cause the rear-cam view to display (there's more in-play than just that input to trigger activation of the rear-view display).

Third FYI, the RTL-T 'All Audio System Schematic' at this post includes the connections between the rear-cam and the Audio Module. Scroll across to the far-right end of the (enlarged) PDF schematic to see that if interested.

Good Luck, keep us posted on any progress you make :)

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,728 Posts
I wanted to try this hack. is it worth it?
The answer to the question of "worth" lies totally in the eyes of the beholder, IMO.

For me Honda Hack offers nothing that would compel me to risk jeopardizing Honda warranty coverage on my expensive Audio Module (see Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, re: the vehicle manufacturer's right to deny otherwise eligible warranty coverage when the cause of the problem is a non-OE modification). YMMV.

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
102 Posts
This is the camera that came with our trailer:

It works well. Plug the monitor into the cigarette lighter and wire the camera to pull power from the 12V running lights on the trailer.

No modifications needed to your RL. Simple hook up on the trailer side. No need to run wires through the trailer connector etc...

You can leave it on all the time and have the screen sitting in view but still have your headunit displaying your music or nav info. I tried that on our first trip and found it too distracting to be looking behind.

GM has some sort of camera/tech that looks through the trailer, I think they have adapted some sort of wireless trailer camera(s). Maybe that would be something to shoot for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have done exactly what you asked about.

my 2006 Ridgeline did not come with a backup camera, but did have the GPS. Following instructions found here on this forum i installed a backup camera behind the license plate. It activates from the backup lights and displays on the Honda nav screen.

Then I wanted my trailer backup camera to also display on the nav screen, so I mounted a switch in the middle above the "not an ashtray" to switch between the truck cam and the trailer cam. The trailer cam is powered full time by the trailer 12vdc, so I can switch it on anytime so I know who's behind me, when it's OK to merge lanes, or when I've backed up into a camp site.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I found this old diagram I made of how I routed 2 backup cameras through the Honda nav unit. Not entirely comprehensible to me after all these years.

Here is a photo of my switch:

·
Registered
23 Posts
...and I found my document where I cut and pasted the instructions that I found right on this forum. May only work on a gen 1 Ridgeline, but here it is for your reading pleasure.

It can be done! Aftermarket rearview camera using the factory navigation plug. No need for a video converter or to find the backup light wire under the dash! Total cost was about $70.00 and about three hours of work. Best of all you don't need to spend $300.00 on a video interface!

The reverse signal is already in the navigation unit so when you put it in reverse it automatically switches the video display to the rearview camera. Thanks to PUG and his wiring diagram I was able to figure out which wires to use. It did take a little courage and some trial and error to get it working. See PUG’s diagram here Backup Camera Question

The back of the navigation unit has a seven (7) pin plug for connecting the factory backup camera. Pin one (1) on the navigation unit is the pin all the way to the left. The Molex plug that I used is a six (6)-pin plug.

Plug type to use is a Molex, part number is WMLX-103. Available from www.Frys.com for $2.85. Frys part number is 1899306.

The factory plug on the back of the navigation unit has a pin configuration as follows:

Pin (1) is a constant 8 volts dc. I assume that is the voltage the factory camera uses but its not enough to power an aftermarket 12vdc camera.
Pin (2) is the video ground or shield
Pins (3 & 4) are not used
Pin (5) is the video line (center pin)
Pins (6 & 7) are jumpered together. I’m not sure what they do but they have to be jumpered together.

Although there are seven pins on the factory navigation plug you only need four of them to make it work. Looking at the picture below Pin (7) would be all the way to the right. As you can see it is jumpered to pin (6). This plug needs to be inserted into the back of the factory navigation unit under the drivers seat so that pin (1) on the left is not used.

In the next picture below, the plug is inserted so that the pins all the way on the right are used and pin (1) has nothing on it.

According to the factory manual, pin 6 is Camera Shield ("shield for terminal No. 1 to No. 7") and pin 7 is Camera Adaptive ("Control signal for rearview camera"). A bit cryptic, but I suspect that pin 7 is the sense line that tells the Nav unit that a camera is present (it knows somehow). So what you did was ground that signal using the shield ground, enabling the function.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts