Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a must have feature for my wife is a back up camera. Help me understand what my options are, I'm looking for a used RTL (for the leather, my must have) and doing an aftermarket camera opens up the search results in my price range considerably.

There are wired and wireless cameras with their own display and it headunit, those that can be used with Nav or some that require additional monitors.

What are the pros/cons to the aftermarket ones?

I liked the post I saw about the one in the sunglasses holder with the balsa block. Lots of good threads here on the how but I need help choosing the what.

Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
So a must have feature for my wife is a back up camera. Help me understand what my options are, I'm looking for a used RTL (for the leather, my must have) and doing an aftermarket camera opens up the search results in my price range considerably.

There are wired and wireless cameras with their own display and it headunit, those that can be used with Nav or some that require additional monitors.

What are the pros/cons to the aftermarket ones?

I liked the post I saw about the one in the sunglasses holder with the balsa block. Lots of good threads here on the how but I need help choosing the what.

Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sorry, but the "what" is completely up to you. I've got the OEM accessories camera.... as do some others. It is expensive, and involves a lot of labor to install. Others have posted of successfully installing inexpensive wireless cams, and I believe at least one of those posts was incorporating into the OEM nav (don't quote me on that). Anyway, it sounds like you've seen the array of options... you need to choose. I like what I've got, but I don't recall reading much about any of these choices that did not satisfy their owners. Pick your poison.
I WILL say that if I were to do it all over again, I'd certainly consider a more inexpensive option than OEM (don't know if I'd pick it, but I'd sure give it a look).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Installed head unit for my Wife's CRV radio/ DVD / GPS/ backup camera the whole shooting match ...lot of wiring . If I were going to do the Ridgeline I personally would go with a mirror setup... Used out of a pilot or something along that line, for similarity setup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hope this isn't too off topic. I have just acquired a 2007 Honda EX-L (Canadian model) and am planning to install either a camera or an audible reverse alarm system. I'm planning to replace the OEM head with one that's SiriusXM ready (the OEM radio I have is not), and right now the choices have come down to an Alpine and a Pioneer, both 2 DIN, BT and Sirius ready. The Alpine, which I would prefer all things being equal, does not have a camera input whereas the Pioneer has two. Question: given that the truck is not used a lot, and resides most of the time in our place in the country, is a camera sufficiently superior to an audible alarm system to justify choosing the camera option and therefore choosing the Pioneer head?

·
Registered
58 Posts
ctrider: Generally wireless cameras offer far less clarity, and "noise" is usually present on the monitor due to the inherently low signal the wireless cameras transmit at. I would always choose a wired camera setup over a wireless one. Either way, there's wiring to be done for both ways, so if you aren't electronically inclined, you'll need a professional to install either for you. You can get relatively inexpensive aftermarket headunits that have dvd/monitors in them that will always have a backup camera input on them. Pair one of these up with a quality camera from Alpine or Pioneer or Kenwood and you should be good to go...try to avoid the $30 ebay specials if you can. You could have what you need for $450 total for equipment and parts if you go with entry-level name brand products. Crutchfield is a good place to find what you need.

danbee: Which specific model of Alpine were you considering? Cause as far as I'm aware, every double-din headunit that Alpine has ever made has at least one rear camera input on it. In your situation being the truck is out in the country really has no bearing as to choose the audible alarm or the camera. Audible alarms aren't much use if the object your about to back over is 12 inches or smaller as most sensors are set up to avoid going off if you approach a curb(or toy, or rake, or cat), so I would personally much rather have the camera so to aid in seeing what's behind the truck.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I wired my own and it was worth the effort. Still, while certainly useful most of the time I am using mirrors and my Hitchscan to detect anything suddenly in the path besides rotating my head, of course.
My cam is quite wide angle, disadvantage is it makes objects appear more distant, but just before backing out it gives me a great view especially when backing out of a line of cars in a parking lot.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The factory camera is awesome. Not perfect in all conditions but I think it's remarkably functional. My work vehicle has an after market backup camera (a Gemini, I think), installed by pros, but it is very poor in comparison.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ended up deciding on a new Alpine radio, CDE-W265BT. No camera, but I decided I'd prefer an audible alarm. Installed a Crimestoppers audible alarm, works great although the first unit had to be replaced because it didn't work when it was cold. Bluetooth works great with this radio, and sound is fine also. Had to pay extra for steering wheel adapter, and an amp for the subwoofer, but all is well.

danbee: Which specific model of Alpine were you considering? Cause as far as I'm aware, every double-din headunit that Alpine has ever made has at least one rear camera input on it. In your situation being the truck is out in the country really has no bearing as to choose the audible alarm or the camera. Audible alarms aren't much use if the object your about to back over is 12 inches or smaller as most sensors are set up to avoid going off if you approach a curb(or toy, or rake, or cat), so I would personally much rather have the camera so to aid in seeing what's behind the truck.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,078 Posts
I upgraded my entire audio system all at once and used a Pioneer 7" touchscreen. I added a backup cam as I wanted the added safety of knowing exactly where the rear bumper was in comparison to objects approaching the rear of my truck. I saw absolutely no reason to spend a lot of money on it as I knew I wouldn't be using it all that often. I purchased a Koolertron license plate cam from Amazon for $13. It came with all the wiring needed to connect it. The yellow video wire was NOT long enough to reach the head unit, but an RCA butt connector and 6' additional RCA cable did the trick. The wiring was a bit of a pain, but it really wasn't all that bad. I tapped into my passenger side reverse light for power and heat wrapped all off the connections.

Before installing the camera, I went around all of the exposed seams with clear silicone. The camera has been going strong for four years now without missing a beat. I find that I only really use it when I'm backing into a parking space to get as close to the car or barrier behind me as I can. It's also a nice check to ensure there is nothing in your direct path when backing up. I don't regret only spending $13 on the camera at all. The clarity is plenty good enough for what I need it to do. If it ever goes bad, I can buy another one and simply switch it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts