Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought Guardian Alert doppler radar system for $299 here:
http://www.sensetech.com/guardianalert.htm

I got the Direct Connect 2 inch Trailer Hitch Mount Model 1601B. I installed the wiring when I did the camera so it was real easy to bring it in thru the back. If you want to do it this way follow the instructions for the camera install. Otherwise you'd have to run it under the body and come in thru the engine firewall.

The hitch mount was not a good fit as the spacing was off for their connectors into the Honda hitch reciever. Easily fixed by drilling new holes closer to the front on the sides which did not have any holes in them and I drilled closer to the front by 1 diameter of the existing holes, had to use the other side otherwise I would have ended up with a slot since the edge of the new hole would touch the older one. The piece I'm talking about is just the plastic piece that slides into the trailer hitch, really easy.

Then you have to tap into the reverse light wires for power. The reverse light green wire is hot and splices to the red wire. The orange wire is ground and splices to the black wire. Use a tap splice or solder directly which is what I did.

Not much else to it except running the wires.

Difference between radar & ultrasonic sonic sensors (like Honda offers). The radar system is not effected by wind, rain, dirt, works in all conditions unlike the ultrasonics. The radar also only detects moving objects so it won't go off unless you are moving or the object is moving towards you. This unit goes into full warning (constant audio tone) when you are 3 feet from an object. So then, the radar system isn't good if you are using it as a parking aid trying to squeeze out the last inch parallel parking. I don't know the minimum distance for the ultrasonics but they'd be better suited in this situation as a parking assistant. Read their promo material for more details on the differences.

I also have the rear camera so these two systems really work well together. I don't backup watching the camera screen, I only check it before I start out. If my radar sensor goes off then I'll stop and check the camera screen to see what's behind me. It's a great system and I have full confindence now when backing out I'll never hit anything unexpected. Specially since I live on the end of a culdesac and the there's about 12 kids always in the court playing games of sorts.

PS. the pic is a little deceiving making it look like it sticks out kinda far, it really only sticks out past the bumper by no more than an inch.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Once again your courage to attempt is admirable. If my wife saw our truck taken apart like that, she would go through the roof.
My hat is off to you once again
Jules
 

·
Green With Envy Moderator
Joined
·
2,346 Posts
Good job once again, Vertrkr.

What did you do with the other back-up sensors that you had installed (the wireless ones)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
Wow .. thats the first time Ive seen one of those. Does that thing pick up funnel clouds too? Thats pretty cool and small to boot. Amazing what they come up with these days !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I can only tell if it's going to storm behind me :) I removed the wireless ultrasonic backup sensors I had, it was a fun and educating $99 experiment. The only downside is I'm left with the holes in my bumper so I left just those sensors in place but removed all the wiring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
vertrkr said:
I bought Guardian Alert doppler radar system for $299 here:
http://www.sensetech.com/guardianalert.htm

I got the Direct Connect 2 inch Trailer Hitch Mount Model 1601B. I installed the wiring when I did the camera so it was real easy to bring it in thru the back. If you want to do it this way follow the instructions for the camera install. Otherwise you'd have to run it under the body and come in thru the engine firewall.

The hitch mount was not a good fit as the spacing was off for their connectors into the Honda hitch reciever. Easily fixed by drilling new holes closer to the front on the sides which did not have any holes in them and I drilled closer to the front by 1 diameter of the existing holes, had to use the other side otherwise I would have ended up with a slot since the edge of the new hole would touch the older one. The piece I'm talking about is just the plastic piece that slides into the trailer hitch, really easy.

Then you have to tap into the reverse light wires for power. The reverse light green wire is hot and splices to the red wire. The orange wire is ground and splices to the black wire. Use a tap splice or solder directly which is what I did.

Not much else to it except running the wires.

Difference between radar & ultrasonic sonic sensors (like Honda offers). The radar system is not effected by wind, rain, dirt, works in all conditions unlike the ultrasonics. The radar also only detects moving objects so it won't go off unless you are moving or the object is moving towards you. This unit goes into full warning (constant audio tone) when you are 3 feet from an object. So then, the radar system isn't good if you are using it as a parking aid trying to squeeze out the last inch parallel parking. I don't know the minimum distance for the ultrasonics but they'd be better suited in this situation as a parking assistant. Read their promo material for more details on the differences.

I also have the rear camera so these two systems really work well together. I don't backup watching the camera screen, I only check it before I start out. If my radar sensor goes off then I'll stop and check the camera screen to see what's behind me. It's a great system and I have full confindence now when backing out I'll never hit anything unexpected. Specially since I live on the end of a culdesac and the there's about 12 kids always in the court playing games of sorts.

PS. the pic is a little deceiving making it look like it sticks out kinda far, it really only sticks out past the bumper by no more than an inch.
Thanks vertrkr for the advice on the wireless sensors on the other thread.

Originally Posted by vertrkr
Don't bother with the wireless ones, I bought them and put countless hours into them only to rip them out. Too many false signals and sometimes didn't work when they were supposed to. I'd say they had about a 50% reliability. Stick with the Honda ones or the radar hitch or bumper mount ones:
I checked out the site for the doppler radar kind. Sounds like a better system. Any shortcomings crop up yet?

I also looked at the install instructions for the backup camera as you suggested above. I still have a problem about dismantling half the truck to run the wires into the cab.
I had an idea about running the wires inside the bed, along the underside of the RETRAX rails (ordering the cover soon) and mounting the Notification Display unit onto the bottom of the RETRAX cover canister near to the rear-sliding window.
Can you tell me how loud the warning buzzer is? Do you think I'd be able to hear it from inside the cab with or without opening the rear window?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
HenryHonda said:
Thanks vertrkr for the advice on the wireless sensors on the other thread.
I checked out the site for the doppler radar kind. Sounds like a better system. Any shortcomings crop up yet?
I also looked at the install instructions for the backup camera as you suggested above. I still have a problem about dismantling half the truck to run the wires into the cab.
I had an idea about running the wires inside the bed, along the underside of the RETRAX rails (ordering the cover soon) and mounting the Notification Display unit onto the bottom of the RETRAX cover canister near to the rear-sliding window.
Can you tell me how loud the warning buzzer is? Do you think I'd be able to hear it from inside the cab with or without opening the rear window?
No shortcomings other than the enherent differences bewteen radar & ultrasonic as noted above in the 1st message, works just as advertised with excellent coverage and not one false alarm.

The beep volume is not loud like Honda's sensors, just perfect I'd say, so you will have to mount it inside the cabin, I don't think you'd hear it if mounted outside.

Installation for this or the backup camera looks overwhelming but it's really not that difficult. It just takes a long time is all. If you follow the camera directions, my shortcut notes for the camera install (link below) and take your time you should not encounter much difficulty. I think the foglight install was the most difficult of all of them, this one took longer but was easier.
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1118
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
vertrkr,
Excellent and timely info. Just wrapping up my negotiations/purchase of RTL Nav. Your radar/video backup sensors look like the way to go.
I inquired about dealer "internal pricing" for video cam and they quoted $1,000 ... ouch ! $500 part and $500 labor. H&A is $358 for part only, so DIY can save $600 on video alone !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Vertrkr,

That looks like a great product!

Now that it has been a few months, how is the Guardian Alert Backup Warning Device working out?

Did you choose the Trailer Hitch version because it was easier to install? While doing one of your many installs, have you ever had the bumper skin off and do you think there is enough room for the Bumper Mount version (or maybe it could be installed in the tailgate)? I looked under the vehicle and there does not seem to be any room between the crash bar (I think it’s the crash bar) and the bumper skin. I’m not sure if it would work through the crash bar (the metal piece attached to the bumper) and the bumper skin. It would be nice to have the device hidden.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DLRidgeline said:
Vertrkr,
That looks like a great product!
Now that it has been a few months, how is the Guardian Alert Backup Warning Device working out?
Did you choose the Trailer Hitch version because it was easier to install? While doing one of your many installs, have you ever had the bumper skin off and do you think there is enough room for the Bumper Mount version (or maybe it could be installed in the tailgate)? I looked under the vehicle and there does not seem to be any room between the crash bar (I think it’s the crash bar) and the bumper skin. I’m not sure if it would work through the crash bar (the metal piece attached to the bumper) and the bumper skin. It would be nice to have the device hidden.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Still working great, I love it. I have had the bumper skin off for other things and it should not be a problem to install that version, you might have to make a small cut out of the styrafoam that sits in the bumper but it should be doable.

I choose the hitch mount for two reasons. Simplicity of the install and I tow my boat from time to time so I was afraid with the bumper install one would be going off all time if I towed as it would sense the trailer, there's no off button for the system although I suppose if you did tow it would be simple enough to pull apart the wire connector adapter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Vertrkr, Thanks for the great information in this thread. This information convinced me to forego the OEM backup sensors in favor of the Gaurdian Alert. Just took delivery of my RTS on Tuesday night and I am eager to add backup sensors.

I do have a couple of questions. It has been a few months since your last report. Is your Guardian Alert sensor still working as expected? Also, I notice that there is a model that plugs into the wiring for the trailer hitch called the EZ Connect. Since I have no mechanical experience whatsoever, I thought that might be a better solution for me. Do you have any thoughts to offer about the pros and cons of the EZ Connect vs the Direct Connect? I believe I could follow instructions to install the Direct Connect if there is a good enough reason to do that vs the simpler EZ Connect. What do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
IwannaRidge said:
Vertrkr, Thanks for the great information in this thread. This information convinced me to forego the OEM backup sensors in favor of the Gaurdian Alert. Just took delivery of my RTS on Tuesday night and I am eager to add backup sensors.
I do have a couple of questions. It has been a few months since your last report. Is your Guardian Alert sensor still working as expected? Also, I notice that there is a model that plugs into the wiring for the trailer hitch called the EZ Connect. Since I have no mechanical experience whatsoever, I thought that might be a better solution for me. Do you have any thoughts to offer about the pros and cons of the EZ Connect vs the Direct Connect? I believe I could follow instructions to install the Direct Connect if there is a good enough reason to do that vs the simpler EZ Connect. What do you think?
Still working great, no problems, still think it's better than the ultra sonic sensors. The EZ Connect would be a little simplier for sure but the hardest part is still running the wires to inside the cab. Not complicated but just a pain in the butt as it takes a while to remove all those panels and rear seat.

Follow the Honda Camera mount directions to run the wires and remove the rear seat:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/06ridgeline/rearcamera.pdf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
vertrkr, I bought that $99.00 ultrasonic unit that you first installed, but have not installed it yet. Did you not like it? Should I not put it in? I'm already nervous about drilling the bumper. Any feed back you can give would be appreciated. I'm getting ready to do that and a number of other things this weekend. Thanks Joey d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
joeydinphilly said:
vertrkr, I bought that $99.00 ultrasonic unit that you first installed, but have not installed it yet. Did you not like it? Should I not put it in? I'm already nervous about drilling the bumper. Any feed back you can give would be appreciated. I'm getting ready to do that and a number of other things this weekend. Thanks Joey d
NO, I would NOT recommend those $99 wireless sensors. I found they had too many false readings meaning they beeped when they shouldn't and didn't beep when they should too many times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Is the radar unit in the hitch easily to remove if you tow?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Thanks for all the good info on this product. I too am looking to add a backup sensor. However, the current price for this one looks like $299.

Does the hitch receiver lock?
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top