Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got my Nav system replaced, I was going thru all the diag screens to see if anything needed to be set up. According to my service manual, my Yaw sensor is backwards.

If you hold down Menu, Map/Guide, and Cancel for about 5 secs, you enter the diag screen. Once there, select Yaw Rate. You see two values there. One from the sensor and one called Offset. When stopped, they should be around 2.5 volts and within .01 volts of each other. Now, the manual states that sensor output HIGHER than the offset means your turning to the right and lower means your turning left. Mine is the opposite. Can someone else check theirs and see if this is a misprint or is something wrong?

Also, back at the diag screen, if you choose GPS Information and then hold the Menu button for about 10 sec, you get to a screen that show sat. status, speed, direction, and some other stuff. My concern on this screen is speed and direction. When parked, the speed stays mostly at 0 but will sometimes jump to 0.1 for a sec or two. The direction value is also puzzeling. Mines seems to stay between 0 and 3 degrees. I was expecting 0-360 degrees. Here is what the manual says about them:

"The Speed and Direction information is updated in real time when driving, and can be used to detect intermittent speed sensor problems."

Can someone check this out too and tell me what yours says?

Thanks!

·
Registered
536 Posts
When stopped the errors in GPS will cause the receiver to "think" it is a few feet one direction then a few feet the other direction.

Not an issue until you drive under 1 mph :)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Whaleya said:
When stopped the errors in GPS will cause the receiver to "think" it is a few feet one direction then a few feet the other direction.

Not an issue until you drive under 1 mph :)
Good point on the speed issue. I have a wrist mounted GPS for measuring speed, etc when running/biking and the accuracy is ± 50 feet if I remember correctly. So, your speed can vary while standing still.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Just a guess but the entire system is vector/timing based on the factory units yes? I can sit still with my garmin and do all sorts of weirdness and it just gets confused. Start moving and giving it some track and it fixes right up.

The gov't specifies no greater then 3m accuracy at any one point in time anyways with civilian gps. - so minor increments I likely wouldn't worry about.

What was the problem that led the original poster to verify integrity of his yaw sensor? Just cause you had your system replaced, or is it doing something wonky at speed?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I realize there are errors due to the GPS part of the system, the speed should be taken from the VSP (vehicle speed pulse). Without that, I can see how it would jump around. With a dedicated sensor, I would think it would know EXACTLY how fast I'm moving.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Aren't you in the GPS diagnostics, the part that tells you which satelitte you are using and the like? Isn't it possible that the number you see is based on what the system is getting from that interface? I would assume that it uses the other method to calculate your change in position when the satelite isn't available.

I haven't looked into this much though so I am not sure. I haven't been able to go play with mine yet as I have been too busy to really sit in the truck with the screen up on diagnostics. Crazy traffic lately.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Ruffles said:
Isn't anyone going to give this a try and tell me how theirs works?
I had a chance to check mine today.

In the diagnostic mode and in the Yaw Rate screen my Offset and Sensor values were both the same. 2.474v and always stayed at .01 volts of each other as you stated yours does.
CCW Factor was 0.3% and CW Factor was -0.4%

With the Offset value staying constant, the Sensor value would go Higher when I tuned Left and go Lower when I turned Right. This is exactly as you described yours is working, so I would presume the service manual maybe in error.

In the GPS Information screen and then the next screen, GPS Detail screen, (after holding the Menu button for another 10 seconds) and Parked, my speed value stayed at 0 but sometimes jump to 0.1 for a second or two just as you stated. My direction value would vary slowly from a low value of 0.1 degress to 0.3 and as high as 1.0 degrees. This is all while Parked.

While moving, the speed value matches the speedometer mph almost exactly and the direction value, while driving straight ahead, varies all the way between 0.1 - 0.4 - 0.8 and 1.1 degress. Making tight left and right turns and a few left and right double 360 deg. circles the Direction value never exceeded 1.7 t0 1.9 degrees.

I hope this info will help you. It sounds like my Navi diagnostic parameters are working the same as yours.

Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts