Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a note to potential buyers... Largo Honda in South Florida advertises as a "no hassle" dealership. Well, their prices on NEW Hondas appear to be good, but they DO NOT adhere to what they say is their policy on trade-ins. I was told several times by the sales rep that they use Kelly Blue Book as far as value on trade ins. I did the proper research on the value as a trade-in, for their zip code. (I wanted to get everything right.) They offered me less than half (several thousands of dollars) of the Kelly Blue Book Price (at the proper condition) for my potential trade in. Their offer was SO LOW the sales agent was ashamed to present it. He wouldn't look me in the eye.

I had to walk out. It was not pretty. It's so sad when you try to work a deal in good faith, and it goes sour.

To make matters worse, on my way home, I found out they didn't properly engage my hood after doing their "evaluation". The hood popped up when I was driving... I could have been in a world of hurt. I sent a message to the dealer... no response.

Unfortunately my continued participation in the Ridgeline group is at peril... and I WANT to buy one.

The whole story is so sad. Be careful when dealing with Largo Honda.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi I went to Holman Honda on Sunrise in Fort Lauderdale and they gave me a very good price on the 1999 CR-V that I traded in you may want to see what thay will offer. My only issue with them is the service dept they are not that on the ball with the Ridgeline yet.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Check out Honda Cars of Bradenton, just to your south. I am very happy with them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You do know that Kelly Blue Book has at least 3 book values, trade-in, private-party, and suggested-retail. These values are all quite different with trade-in being the lowest. Also some of the modifiers like vehicle condition are subjective, so the dealer can claim blue book and just choose the worst condition. So if they quoted you a lower value than a poor condition trade in (I know it probably wasn't) ask them where they got their info from.

Of course don't do that until you can drive back to their lot with your new Ridgeline that you bought at another dealership.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
ROColorado said:
You do know that Kelly Blue Book has at least 3 book values, trade-in, private-party, and suggested-retail.
Don't forget the one they like to use, Wholesale. They claim they can't resell your vehicle and have to sell it at wholesale. The reality is that they also buy other vehicles from wholesale so their profit margins aren't really hurt.

ROColorado said:
These values are all quite different with trade-in being the lowest. Also some of the modifiers like vehicle condition are subjective, so the dealer can claim blue book and just choose the worst condition. So if they quoted you a lower value than a poor condition trade in (I know it probably wasn't) ask them where they got their info from.
You should go in knowing the value you would give your vehicle based on KBB using honest assessment and the one for the next level down. If you aren't willing to not have the truck now then you need to be willing to take what they give you, otherwise keep working them until you get somewhere between your number and the number below your number.

But like ROColorado said, wait a little bit and drive back with your truck and make sure the sales guy who worked with you knows that it is you and that if they hadn't tried to stiff you on the deal.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I drove from Sarasota to Gainesville (Wade Raulerson Honda) to get a better deal. After dealing with Sarasota and Bradenton for 17yrs, I was very impressed with Gainesville. I dealt with their internet dealer, I think it was "Tim". I received no B.S and very friendly professional service. I give them an A+

·
Registered
130 Posts
What were you trading in? One of the biggest problems right now, is if your trading a GM or Ford vehicle the Blue Book is no longer correct. Too many used cars out there, and resale value was reduced by the employee discount program.

·
Registered
91 Posts
swampler said:
You could always sell the trade yourself, instead of trading it in, then go buy the RL at the no haggle price. Or, buy the RL and then sell your trade.
I agree, if you can handle two payments for a bit (assuming you owe on ur current auto) I say sell it yourself, you will most likely get more than what the dealer would offer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wondeful experience at Regal Honda in Lakeland FL

All of the Orlando metro dealers gave the list price on a RTS plus $600 dealer fee. So I went on line and got a quote from Sam's Buying Club and Camping World Buyer's Club. Sam's put me in touch with Regal Honda in Lakeland. I ended up buying there for $3000 of MSRP plus $300 dealer fee.
It is a shame, I had GM products for 30 years, and GM sent me some beautiful brochures and told me about employee pricing. I was going to buy a GMC Envoy, but no dealer would show me GM employee pricing. They would come back with a number out of the air, and then add things like the environmental package for $599 (Dow spray for the seats and carpets and a wax job). I left EVERY dealer I visited in total discust. It is ashame GM spent all the money on advertising and mailings to have me totally turned of by the shabby dealers.
The Ridgeline is my first foreign vehicle since my MG-TD, and I absolutely love it. I am hooked.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Based on the value of the trade in, always keep in ind the tax savings you get by reducing the cost of the new vehicle by trading in the old. You don't get that savings when you sell the old vehicle privately.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts