Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I added 5 gallons of fuel to my ridgeline and the fuel is either bad or potentially had water in it. Right now I’m sitting with a little bit over half a tank and the car is idling OK but as soon as I drive.. it starts breaking up and the check engine light comes on.

I tried to siphon the fuel but when my hose goes about 2 foot down it apparently hits some kind of screen that prevents the hose from getting all the way to the fuel cell.

Looking for advice here guys ! 😔

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
My guess is a bad fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter (both are on the fuel tank).
If it is bad fuel - you could disconnect the fuel line at the engine and let the electric pump out all the fuel.

Water in the fuel usually does not allow idling engine. Insuffecent fuel pressure will cause a CEL.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Larry. I might add although the car starts and idles, it definitely cranks more when starting up.

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE
1,224 Posts
How many miles on your truck? From where did the five gals of gas come? How far did you drive it before it started hiccuping?

I agree with pumping some fuel into a glass jar at the engine. If there is water in it, you will know quickly. (Heet, in that case, should fix you up. or just pump it all out if you can).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
49k miles. I had a 5 gallon jug of fuel on the side of the house that was ~ 6 months old. I put it in, drove 1 mile to a friends house. When I got back in to start up the car it cranked a bit and then I got the CEL on the way home

·
Registered
154 Posts
Might try HEET. I have used it in the past to remove water in fuel.

"The specific active ingredients of HEET and ISO-HEET are methanol and isopropanol. Apparently ethanol works the same way: Water is absorbed by the ethanol and then gets vaporized in the combustion process."

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Lunar Silver Metallic
767 Posts
The OM warns not to use fuel containing methanol and therefore ISO-HEET is preferred.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Did the 6 month old gasoline contain ethanol? Did it have Stabil?

Gasoline with ethanol does not age well.

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE
1,224 Posts
49k miles. I had a 5 gallon jug of fuel on the side of the house that was ~ 6 months old. I put it in, drove 1 mile to a friends house. When I got back in to start up the car it cranked a bit and then I got the CEL on the way home
It's probably spoiled fuel. Your best bet will be to pump it out. 2nd option is to fill the tank with good fuel (dilute the bad fuel). The ISO-HEET may help too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did the 6 month old gasoline contain ethanol? Did it have Stabil?

Gasoline with ethanol does not age well.
It did not. I am going to try HEET today and add a few gallons of good fuel...let it idle for a while and try to drive it. fingers crossed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: I added HEET and 3 gallons of fresh fuel. The car appears to run fine now without and CEL's - however it cranks a bit at start up. Thinking maybe I need new injectors.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-T (2016-2021), 2022 RTL-E (2021-present)
82 Posts
I tried to siphon the fuel but when my hose goes about 2 foot down it apparently hits some kind of screen that prevents the hose from getting all the way to the fuel cell.
This doesn't help solve your problem, but I can confirm that it's really tough to pull fuel from the RL. In October we had a blockbuster Nor'easter that killed power to homes and gas stations for about a week. I tried pulling some fuel from my truck to help a friend out with his generator and found it to be not worth the effort. It ended up being more efficient to just use that gas in my truck to drive far enough to an unaffected area to get him some fuel.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Update: I added HEET and 3 gallons of fresh fuel. The car appears to run fine now without and CEL's - however it cranks a bit at start up. Thinking maybe I need new injectors.
Don't jump to the conclusion you need new injectors after adding only 3 gallons of fresh fuel.

How much fuel is in the tank? Run it down to under 1/4 tank and then fill with fresh fuel to minimize the percentage of bad fuel still in your tank.

Are you in the habit of driving with very little fuel in your tank? Not a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,698 Posts
snip

Are you in the habit of driving with very little fuel in your tank? Not a good idea.
And why would you make this comment? Why is this a bad idea?

·
Registered
767 Posts
In your first post you added 5 gallons and brought the fuel level up to 1/2 tank. That means you had less than 1/4 tank before adding the 5 gallons making over half of the fuel in the tank bad gas.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was at 1/4 tank. That’s an 80 mile range - I guess we have different opinions of “very little fuel”

1 - 20 of 54 Posts